Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great version of MGMTs Kids

Options
  • 03-01-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Best cover version of this song I've heard on youtube. it's by a small band from kerry called dr. fox's old timey string band.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Best cover version of this song I've heard on youtube. it's by a small band from kerry called dr. fox's old timey string band.

Ya boya! That's super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MikeHowitzer

heres the link to their bebo and myspace, they've two other pretty good songs up.

http://www.bebo.com/DrFOTSB

http://www.myspace.com/drfotsb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Love it, class cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wowee this is excellent...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigjigwig77

As lovely as a cup of tea, a choc hobnob and nothing in particular to do!

Good song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Good shít brah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Super! these guys are great, wish they had more stuff or an ep even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Not bad at all!! Beats the sh1te outta the Kooks version anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Not bad at all!! Beats the sh1te outta the Kooks version anyway :D

Oh no! there isn't really one is there?:(

Not that taken with this version either, it's grand like, not overly interesting though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Oh no! there isn't really one is there?:(

Not that taken with this version either, it's grand like, not overly interesting though

Yeah its there on youtube somewhere, done for some cover version compilation thingy....they shouldnt have bothered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

The wagon wheel song was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah, sorta boring.

Covering pop songs in such a manner is a bit contrived really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

... meh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

... meh

It's very boring isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Yeah, sorta boring.

Covering pop songs in such a manner is a bit contrived really.

Aye ...

Can someone explain to me how doing a cover version of a song can be not "contrived".

Of course it's fcuking contrived - it's a fcuking cover version!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really like this. I can see why people could find it boring, but that's just comparing it to the original which is obviously more lively and uptempo. Taken on it's merits, as if hearing the song for the first time, it's quite good.
    They actually sound a lot like Willy Mason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I liked it :) The violin makes it imo

I just think its surprising how well it translates into this style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

keane2097 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how doing a cover version of a song can be not "contrived".

Of course it's fcuking contrived - it's a fcuking cover version!
    I think they mean using an unlikely style in which to cover something. Often reeks of "Hey, we're so wacky cuz we're doing this black metal number in a country style". Hmmm... this can often work though. I think this particular take does the trick.

What really grates though is when an unlikely song gets the easy-listening/lounge/crooner treatment. Ok, it was funny when Mike Flowers Pops covered Wonderwall in a Burt Bacharach (but cheesier) way back in 1995, but the plethora of irony-free such fare since is just tiresome. And silly. I recently heard Jamie Cullum or Michael Bublé or some such joker covering The Cure's Love Cats in a "lounge" style. Oh piss off. It's lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

If you like that then you should check this out

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=51666449

so so unreal live!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

thought it was pretty interesting until the vocals came in....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

If you like that then you should check this out

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=51666449

so so unreal live!

Square Peig is good. Nice take of 7 Nation Army. Whoever covered Kids in the OP should take note of how it's done here.

Dudess wrote: »
    I think they mean using an unlikely style in which to cover something. Often reeks of "Hey, we're so wacky cuz we're doing this black metal number in a country style". Hmmm... this can often work though. I think this particular take does the trick.

What really grates though is when an unlikely song gets the easy-listening/lounge/crooner treatment. Ok, it was funny when Mike Flowers Pops covered Wonderwall in a Burt Bacharach (but cheesier) way back in 1995, but the plethora of irony-free such fare since is just tiresome. And silly. I recently heard Jamie Cullum or Michael Bublé or some such joker covering The Cure's Love Cats in a "lounge" style. Oh piss off. It's lame.

I think often times people just throw in the word "contrived" to sound like an authority on things.

I mean calling a cover version of a song contrived is so trite it's appalling.

For those who don't know better, essentially it's saying "God, that planned event was so planned" :rolleyes:

I agree with your post wholeheartedly in its entirety by the way - good job!

apparently this got played on corks redfm a couple of days ago

Advertisement