Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 156 timing belt disaster!

Options
  • 03-01-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

So, here I am 8 weeks into Alfa ownership and my first serious challenge. Driving home through Inchicore last night and bang, timing belt goes and car sits down. Very upsetting. She was due to go in for a full service and new belt later in January (belt not due until 75k, she had her first one done late). AA man seemed to think from a quick look that a tensioner may have gone and it all went south from there.

Anyway, got her towed home last night. Poor thing looks so sad outside the house! So, next step. Im guessing its going to be an expensive job to get her fixed up. Am I better pursuing the recon engine route rather than the repair route? Are (decent) re-conditioned engines available in Ireland? I will of course be giving Gerry in TI a call on Monday morning but just wanted to get the advice of the experts here first. Engine had been a bit rattley since I got it and mech reckoned it needed new thermostat and variator anyway as well as another few smaller bits.

Its a 156 1.6 from 2002 with 69000 on the clock.

All assistance very much appreciated, Im going to give her a polish now to make her (and me) feel better!

Cheers,
    Simon

PS - Yea I know..."blah blah you must be mad to buy an alfa blah blah." I don't care :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sorry to hear of your troubles, OP. I suppose your first step should be to see what state your current engine's in - if it's only a couple of bent valves then it might be worth repairing. Gerry's a very decent guy, i'm sure he'll put you on the right path.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

no to sound melodramatic but belts going in a 156 usually results in disaster for it's engine. Most of the time the engine is better off being replaced.

Your more than likely looking at a bill for about 1k anyways at least if done by a decent place (and Gerry is a decent top notch :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sorry to hear about this....especially when it really wasn't due for another 6k miles. I'm surprised it let go so early. I sued to get 42k out of each of my belts before they got changed. Have you evidence to suggest the first belt was done at 39k then?

Get Gerry to have a look...I was in with hime once and he was rebuilding a V6 from a 166 that the belt had gone, so it will really depend on what damage has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Probably 1,200-1,500 Euro to sort it out. I'd say just get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Thanks all for the advice and keep it coming! Going to go and have a look at a potential engine donor tomorrow and then off to Gerry on Monday to see the damage! Next question: I need to get a tow (obviously enough) to the garage. Any reccomended tow-talking-guys and any idea on prices? I would be getting her towed from Kiltipper (Tallaght) to Cowper Street.

Cheers,
    Simon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Tow should cos about 60 quid or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

the belt on my mothers 156 went early and did minimal damage she brought it to ambrose glass & paid about €750 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Belt went on my Golf and cost me 600-700 excluding labour to fix. Depending on the number of bent valve's etc, i'd look at getting a quote of repairing this first. The last thing you want is a different engine in the car that you aren't familar with, for your own point of view and from a resale perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks all for the advice and keep it coming! Going to go and have a look at a potential engine donor tomorrow and then off to Gerry on Monday to see the damage! Next question: I need to get a tow (obviously enough) to the garage. Any reccomended tow-talking-guys and any idea on prices? I would be getting her towed from Kiltipper (Tallaght) to Cowper Street.

Cheers,
    Simon

Try Mick from SRC recovery - 087 319 7164, he's fairly local to Tallaght and very reasonably priced.

Advertisement