Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rover in trouble

Options
  • 03-01-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

hi

my 97 rover 414i was runing fine apart from dodgy front driver window until she wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago (runs fine again but i'm worried it won't start when i really need it).
    after chatting to coupe of people i have decided to change (credit crunched!) the oil/air filter and the spark plugs
    i know very little about cars but will have a go
    is this beyoind a novice?

thanks for any help you can give

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bopbuddy wrote: »
    hi

my 97 rover 414i was runing fine apart from dodgy front driver window until she wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago (runs fine again but i'm worried it won't start when i really need it).
    after chatting to coupe of people i have decided to change (credit crunched!) the oil/air filter and the spark plugs
    i know very little about cars but will have a go
    is this beyoind a novice?

thanks for any help you can give

Very very easy to do OP. First things first, if it wouldn't start, it is unlikely that changing oil, filter and plugs will resolve the issue. What happened when you couldn't start it??? Was the engine turning over or was that not happening??? It's more likely to be a battery problem with the current weather and time of year. By all means, go at the oil change and service the car but the cause of the car not starting is probably another matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Oil, filters and plugs are easy enough to do, might be a little daunting at first, buy yourself a Haynes manual, it will list common faults and fixes, your local motor factors or Halfords should have one or you can get it online here...

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13127&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=14532

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Very very easy to do OP. First things first, if it wouldn't start, it is unlikely that changing oil, filter and plugs will resolve the issue. What happened when you couldn't start it??? Was the engine turning over or was that not happening??? It's more likely to be a battery problem with the current weather and time of year. By all means, go at the oil change and service the car but the cause of the car not starting is probably another matter...

plugs can make a huge difference
    as can filter

plugs are easy
    do them

many guides available on the net

Advertisement