Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird Micra acceleration problem

Options
  • 03-01-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all, google gave me nothing so thought I might get an easy answer here. :)

The OH's micra has been acting weird since it was last serviced. Overall it drives fine, but when you go to accelerate quickly (i.e. foot to the floor), the revs shoot up, but the car's speed only increases slowly to match those revs. It basically feels like the clutch is constantly slightly pressed - it works fine at lower revs, but once you try push it hard, this happens. Is it possible that the clutch was slightly overtightened by the garage?

Any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Your clutch is slipping alright by the sound of things.
    The mechanic may have over-adjusted the clutch cable but it may just be worn due to normal wear and tear. How long is it since the service was done and did this start to happen straight away?

Also if the clutch has been slipping for a while for whatever reason, adjustment alone mightn't do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

seamus wrote: »
    Howdy all, google gave me nothing so thought I might get an easy answer here. :)

The OH's micra has been acting weird since it was last serviced. Overall it drives fine, but when you go to accelerate quickly (i.e. foot to the floor), the revs shoot up, but the car's speed only increases slowly to match those revs. It basically feels like the clutch is constantly slightly pressed - it works fine at lower revs, but once you try push it hard, this happens. Is it possible that the clutch was slightly overtightened by the garage?

Is it possible it's because it's a micra?

Sorry. Poor form. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

clutch is slipping

loosen off the cable and see if that helps
    if its been done a few times the clutch will need replacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Dont all micras slip the clutch when driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Dont all micras slip the clutch when driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no

micras are cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Tigger wrote: »
    no

micras are cool
    Jury is out on that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

I had a micra and never had a problem with it. Had two cars since and nothing but problems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Its time for a new clutch....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

seamus wrote: »

It sounds like this could be what happened OP. To check if the clutch has been overadjusted, do the following:

(1) Precautions, engine off and car in neutral.

(2) Open bonnet and find clutch fork that will be sticking out of the bell housing area of the gearbox.

(3) A rule of thumb is that there should be at least half an inch play in the clutch fork travel. I think when you check this, you'll find no clearance or play whatsoever, which means when you are driving, the clutch is actually partially engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers guys, I'll take a look at it during the week. It was only serviced around the middle-end of last year and as far as I can tell it's been doing it since then, but I don't drive it very often if I can at all help it (it's purple!).

Her gearbox has been giving her hassle, so maybe the clutch is screwed, but hopefullly Darragh, your tips will yield success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement