Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle of Coke

Options
  • 03-01-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Yes I know its bad for you and all that jazz but its addicting :D. Anyway the Spar on the tonglee (sp?) road is now after upping their prices again and are currently charging 2.89 for a 2L bottle of coke which is outrageous to be honest. In Tesco Artane you can get 3 bottles for €4.99 even in the Spar that is about a 5 minute walk away on the Malahide Road they only charge €2.29. Its just madness how they can charge much more for the bottle of coke.
    Anyway just a word of warning to try avoid the shop or at least get your coke somewhere else anyway.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

simple if you pay it they will charge it.(not you directly OP)

if everyone bought from the Tesco and nobody(not likely)got some from the spar then he would have to reduce his price.

however he would not be able to go as low as Tesco because he would have a higher cost price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Yes I know its bad for you and all that jazz but its addicting :D. Anyway the Spar on the tonglee (sp?) road is now after upping their prices again and are currently charging 2.89 for a 2L bottle of coke which is outrageous to be honest. In Tesco Artane you can get 3 bottles for €4.99 even in the Spar that is about a 5 minute walk away on the Malahide Road they only charge €2.29. Its just madness how they can charge much more for the bottle of coke.
    Anyway just a word of warning to try avoid the shop or at least get your coke somewhere else anyway.
    Cheers

Why not give up drinking Coke? It's really not that hard. I used to drink it all the time, but gave it up (and everything else made by the Coca-Cola company) about 7 months ago.....the reason?-Well I'll spare you the boring details but do a google search on Killer Coke.

It's a pain when your in Burger King/McD's and all they have is Coke products...but sure just get milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Last time I was in Galway:

Tesco €1
    Dunnes €1
    Topaz €1.50

Nuff Said!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Yep Dunnes out in saggart 2:09 went up few weeks ago,Tesco 1.99 spar 2:89
    But shop in rathcoole 1:69

fricken ROI is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody who does a weekly shop in a spar or centra is not right in the head. They are convenience stores and so charge extra for that convenience, they probably have a low turnover of 2L bottles, as most people in those shops are buying 500mls, which I also expect are more expensive than in tesco.

2.89 for a 2L bottle of coke .....a 5 minute walk away....€2.29
    So 60cent can be saved by walking 5mins. That is €7.20 per hour saving so below minimum wage for your efforts. This is why some will pay for convenience, and consider themselves better off for it. It can be a false economy to travel to get a "bargain". I see this a lot with people spending all day and petrol & stress going up north to apparently "save".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

...or you can do what I do, got up to Newry and bulk buy them from Dunnes for £2 for two 2L bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i'll be honest here guys, I own 2 shops, 1 symbol store and one not...and what rubadub mentioned about the convenience thing is spot on.
    Theres fook all margin to be made on grocery products etc, thats why there's less and less grocery stuff in shops these days (not talking bout Eurospars etc) but your regular corner shop will be phasing out grocery as best they can because of the increasingly poor margins. Shops make a profit from the likes of minerals/confectionary and the impulse buy.

We're well aware that Tesco or Dunnes will be cheaper..but theres not a huge amount of people will get in their car and drive to tesco to save .30 or .40c...

Convenience is the key word here...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Einstein wrote: »
    Theres fook all margin to be made on grocery products etc, thats why there's less and less grocery stuff in shops these days.
    Yep, just walk into a cash & carry. I have no card but I pass one the odd time and just have a look since my mate does have a card. Anybody can walk in to look. A lot of stuff costs well more in a cash & carry than in supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Pretty funny that you would compare those two spars considering they are owned by brothers! Wonder does one boast to the other over the higher markup ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shqipshume wrote: »
    Yep Dunnes out in saggart 2:09 went up few weeks ago,Tesco 1.99 spar 2:89
    But shop in rathcoole 1:69

fricken ROI is right

How is it rip off Ireland if the cheapone your comparing it all too is in Ireland aswell?

Advertisement