Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro/Blueface questions

Options
  • 03-01-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have a nephew who wants to have BB installed. Doesn't want a phone line (having looked at Eircom's tariffs I can see why) so he's just wondering about the above combo.

Anyone here running Blueface over 5MB Metro? If so what's the quality like? Interstingly the 5MB (with Metro phone line) is €35 p/m, yet BB on its own (Homewave) is the same price....for a half Meg!:eek:

The plan would be to get the 5MB BB and not use the Digiweb line - only Blueface.

Another option is Blueface over Eircom. But that's coming in at around €80 per month (including Freedom World on Blueface at €25 p/m).

Thanks in advance.

Freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Metro comes with a voip phone service, therefore there is no need to use blueface. Homewave is a completely different product, its broadband only for people whom live out in the sticks mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No line rental and low phone charges on Metro. I've used it since Nov 2005 (before I went to work for Digiweb). The modem has two phone sockets. I have a 2nd number with a fax on it. My phone bill is about €3 a month. There is no physical phone line, thus no eircom line rental.

I have dual DECT cordless phones on both numbers (i.e. four handsets & two "lines"). I paid extra to transfer my eircom number before cancelling the eircom line.

Homewave is for different areas to Metro usually. It doesn't have a phone service included.

Test in Limerick 20:10hrs
    383496366.png
    very low upload speed tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote: »
    No line rental and low phone charges on Metro. I've used it since Nov 2005 (before I went to work for Digiweb). The modem has two phone sockets. I have a 2nd number with a fax on it. My phone bill is about €3 a month. There is no physical phone line, thus no eircom line rental.

I have dual DECT cordless phones on both numbers (i.e. four handsets & two "lines"). I paid extra to transfer my eircom number before cancelling the eircom line.

Homewave is for different areas to Metro usually. It doesn't have a phone service included.

Test in Limerick 20:10hrs
    383496366.png
    very low upload speed tonight...

Thanks for that Watty. But Digiweb can't compete with Blueface's rates - thus the query. €25 p/m buys you unlimited calls to any world landline (save for a few minor countries). His girlfriend is a foreign national, so the Blueface deal is extremely attractive for them.

I'm a bit worried if he goes for the BB only that the 512 down won't support the Blueface service, especially if someone is also surfing. If he goes for the 5 meg Metro, does he HAVE to use the phone? Or will it support Blueface?

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Blueface will work. It needs just under 0.1Mbps = 100kbps in both directions. Heavy upload or download could affect quality. However this is true on Cable and DSL also.

It costs you nothing extra to have the Digiweb phone if you don't make calls, it is built in so is unaffected by data usage. People can ring you on it for reliable quality calls in most cases (some Metro sites have had interference issues)

If the GF has Internet they can use SIP or Skype or whatever for "free" without the Blueface. The €25 a month is only of advantage if you make a lot of international calls to a real phone user that has no Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote: »
    Blueface will work. It needs just under 0.1Mbps = 100kbps in both directions. Heavy upload or download could affect quality. However this is true on Cable and DSL also.

It costs you nothing extra to have the Digiweb phone if you don't make calls, it is built in so is unaffected by data usage. People can ring you on it for reliable quality calls in most cases (some Metro sites have had interference issues)

If the GF has Internet they can use SIP or Skype or whatever for "free" without the Blueface. The €25 a month is only of advantage if you make a lot of international calls to a real phone user that has no Broadband.

Thanks for that Watty. That's great. They'll probably go for the Metro/Blueface combo then. While the 100k probably will work, I've listened to Blueface on sub-1 Meg lines. It ain't pretty.

Thanks for all your help.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement