Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU president says climate change is a myth

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ionix5891 wrote: »
    this is what you get when right wing nutters get in power (or just look at the US for last 8 years) we have our own variety here called Sein Fein

aint he the same guy who met Liberats Declan Hanley recently or am I mixing up with some other Czech ?

I believe he met Declan Ganley of Libertas, and other no lobby groups, but your clever wordplay is duly noted. As for the "some other Czech" comment, I did post a link to the article where it states this is the case, do you actually have anything to add to the debate or do you just like petty name calling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

sorry i had to take a stab at libertossers, couldn't resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Klaus belongs to a long tradition of politicians on the right & left, who are never ones to let the truth of the matter, get in the way of their dearly held principles.

He's not very relevant anyway as his role is ceremonial and the real work of the EU presidency is done by the executive arm of the Czech government.

We seem to live in an age that is drowned in information, yet huge amounts of people seem unable to deal with it intelligently.

I would put the climate change deniers in with the people who believe 9/11 was an inside job & the people who take Zeitgeist seriously, all people who are not going to let facts get in the way of what they want to believe instead.

Fundamentalist religious belief seems another illustration that many human brains seem hard wired for this.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ionix5891 wrote: »
    sorry i had to take a stab at libertossers, couldn't resist
    Please try harder in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CDfm wrote: »
    Why should we all go green when the Chinese dont.
    Why should we all respect human rights when the Chinese (the regime, not the people) don't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Ireland is #17 in world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power

behind countries such as India or China and most of the EU

also see this 500MW facility, when the Chineese put their head to it they do things LARGE

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/2420/83/

also check this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_renewable_electricity_production

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

BenjAii wrote: »
    Klaus belongs to a long tradition of politicians on the right & left, who are never ones to let the truth of the matter, get in the way of their dearly held principles.

He's not very relevant anyway as his role is ceremonial and the real work of the EU presidency is done by the executive arm of the Czech government.

We seem to live in an age that is drowned in information, yet huge amounts of people seem unable to deal with it intelligently.

I would put the climate change deniers in with the people who believe 9/11 was an inside job & the people who take Zeitgeist seriously, all people who are not going to let facts get in the way of what they want to believe instead.

Fundamentalist religious belief seems another illustration that many human brains seem hard wired for this.

He does seem a bit stubborn but hey he represents his people so leave it to him. As for the climate thing without getting into the is it isnt it debate the problem I have with it is that its a very new area for scientists and they are still making discoveries, which yes currently point to it as a possibility but environmentalists take these theories that are still very young and run them as actual fact. Take the whole renaming global warming to climate change when it was realised that a mis-calculation proved that the hottest decade in the 20th century was actually the 30's.
    I trust scientists but I dislike eco-freaks who have this mentality that I have to care cause they do and any lies told are all for the greater good.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Take the whole renaming global warming to climate change when it was realised that a mis-calculation proved that the hottest decade in the 20th century was actually the 30's.
    Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

djpbarry wrote: »
    ShooterSF wrote:
    He does seem a bit stubborn but hey he represents his people so leave it to him. As for the climate thing without getting into the is it isnt it debate the problem I have with it is that its a very new area for scientists and they are still making discoveries, which yes currently point to it as a possibility but environmentalists take these theories that are still very young and run them as actual fact. Take the whole renaming global warming to climate change when it was realised that a mis-calculation proved that the hottest decade in the 20th century was actually the 30's.
    I trust scientists but I dislike eco-freaks who have this mentality that I have to care cause they do and any lies told are all for the greater good.
    Eh?

ShooterSF is referring to the recent (late 2007) modification of one temperature series (out of umpteen), and erroneously attaching to it the change in terminology from 'global warming' to 'climate change'. Now admittedly that change in terminology is over a decade old, but you have to remember that people have gone on using it as a straw man so that when the weather gets cold they can deride "global warming" in pleasingly simplistic terms. You could say that ShooterSF noticing it's now called 'climate change' represents a step forward!

You can see further confusion in ShooterSF's idea that climate science's discovery of climate change is "a very new area for scientists" as opposed to a 40-year old field, although again we can put this down to the assumption that he hasn't been paying attention to the scientific journals for the last quarter-century. I'll grant him his idea that some "eco-freaks" take extreme scenarios as factual, while others tend to adopt an "end of the world is nigh!" approach, or use climate change as a stalking horse for their personally favoured utopian solution.

Neither of those should be taken to detract from 40 years of science that has established with better than 95% confidence that the world is, overall, warming, and that human emissions are the cause of it - I say should, but of course they are being so, and by much the same PR agencies that defended the tobacco and asbestos industries. There's always someone who'll buy FUD and believe they're wiser than the sheeple.

wearily,
    Scofflaw

Sorry to carry on being off-topic but just to give djpbarry a link so he doesnt think I'm pulling this outta my ass. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/10/hottest-year-data-meltdown/
    Again Im not debating whether it exists or not just that facts are changing and certain eco-freaks (eg Al Gore) aren't in such a rush to correct themselves because of said "greater good"

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    ShooterSF is referring to the recent (late 2007) modification of one temperature series (out of umpteen), and erroneously attaching to it the change in terminology from 'global warming' to 'climate change'. Now admittedly that change in terminology is over a decade old, but you have to remember that people have gone on using it as a straw man so that when the weather gets cold they can deride "global warming" in pleasingly simplistic terms. You could say that ShooterSF noticing it's now called 'climate change' represents a step forward!

You can see further confusion in ShooterSF's idea that climate science's discovery of climate change is "a very new area for scientists" as opposed to a 40-year old field, although again we can put this down to the assumption that he hasn't been paying attention to the scientific journals for the last quarter-century. I'll grant him his idea that some "eco-freaks" take extreme scenarios as factual, while others tend to adopt an "end of the world is nigh!" approach, or use climate change as a stalking horse for their personally favoured utopian solution.

Neither of those should be taken to detract from 40 years of science that has established with better than 95% confidence that the world is, overall, warming, and that human emissions are the cause of it - I say should, but of course they are being so, and by much the same PR agencies that defended the tobacco and asbestos industries. There's always someone who'll buy FUD and believe they're wiser than the sheeple.

wearily,
    Scofflaw
    ----
    Edit- Sorry, I missed that bit in bold. Fair enough that's the only problem I have with the subject.
    ----

First 40 years ain't along time in science by any stretch. Second Im not arguing nor do I have a problem with the concept of climate change.
    As I said my problem is not the scientists but the eco-freaks who will say whatever it takes to scare people into believing the levels of climate change in effect.
    To the point that djpbarry hadnt heard of said fact. I would imagine you'd agree that all facts pro or cons on the theory should be made available without the dramatizations typical of the Al Gore's of the world and not brushed aside when it doesnt fit what they want.
    Again I'm not trying to debate climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

First 40 years ain't along time in science by any stretch. Second Im not arguing nor do I have a problem with the concept of climate change.
    As I said my problem is not the scientists but the eco-freaks who will say whatever it takes to scare people into believing the levels of climate change in effect.
    To the point that djpbarry hadnt heard of said fact. I would imagine you'd agree that all facts pro or cons on the theory should be made available without the dramatizations typical of the Al Gore's of the world and not brushed aside when it doesnt fit what they want.
    Again I'm not trying to debate climate change.

Hmm. If you're saying that there are people who get so wedded to their positions on climate change that they're unable to actually entertain 'inconvenient facts' (to coin a phrase) - well, yes, of course, and on both sides, indeed.

However, the problem tends to be that the kind of event you're referring to is itself a straw man, and that's something that's not admitted by those who trumpet it in their blogs. The temperature series that was corrected is a temperature series, and multiple other temperature series from around the world have not suffered from the data error that was corrected here. As the corrected data represent only the 48 contiguous US states, the change to the global picture isn't even detectable, because the US is 2% of the world's surface, and the correction involved was very small - 1998 is now the number 2 hottest year after 1934, which now wins by the same tiny margin as previously distinguished 1998. See attached graph for the amount of the change in the global trend produced by this much-heralded data correction.

Finally, fourty years is indeed pretty old for a scientific field. Geology - the whole discipline - is only four times that age. There are younger fields - biotech for example - that nobody seems to bother disputing on this peculiar basis.

So, the problem I have with pointing the finger at the eco-freaks (who I have no time for either, since their grasp of the science is usually abysmal, and who are frankly just slotting climate change into a pre-desired pattern of global disaster) is that it's often being pointed by people whose use of data is just as partial.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw's covered this already, but...
    Sorry to carry on being off-topic but just to give djpbarry a link so he doesnt think I'm pulling this outta my ass.
    I am well aware of the "corrections" that were made to NASA data, but your claim that the 30's was the warmest decade of the 20th century is still wide of the mark. That is, if you are referring to the entire globe?
    First 40 years ain't along time in science by any stretch.
    4 years is a long time in science. 40 years is practically an entire career in science (or any other field, for that matter). You really think that understanding of climate has not advanced much in the last 4 decades?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Everybody: there's a forum for this discussion, and indeed that forum entertains this very discussion on an ongoing basis. If you're interested in discussing it (obviously djpbarry is, because he participates continuously over there), do it in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

I am with you on thinking it healthy, to view things with skepticism and critical thinking.

However, my logical approach to critical thinking tells me that if the vast majority, >99%, of qualified scientists believe something to be so, then it is illogical for me to say the opposite is true, unless I know some enormous truths they don't.

Thus I hold it to be true that the planets climate is changing, that this problem is rapidly getting more severe, and that the cause is largely CO2, due to the burning of fossil fuels.

Anyone who says this isn't true, is just a crank or a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Dob74 wrote: »
    Don't see a direct quote from Kluas about climate change. Considering China is opening a coal power station every week. There is very little the west can do about climate change.

Two important facts:

The Chinese are also far closer to actually reaching their targets for renewable energy capacity than almost any western nation.

At least 25% of China's carbon dioxide emissions are due to its exports to the west.
    CDfm wrote: »
    I think you are overestimating the influence and can you give a source for your figures.

If it really so cool and easy why are the tarriffs not in place now to protect our economies.

It should be no policy implementation without tariiffs.

So even if the science is a crock at least our economies and jobs are protected.

If it cant be done this way it shouldnt be done at all.

Ah I see: man made climate change is a myth because you think that the policies to control its effects might affect how rich you are.
    As I said my problem is not the scientists but the eco-freaks who will say whatever it takes to scare people into believing the levels of climate change in effect..
    The internet is younger than climate science. Do you make online purchases, trusting its infrastructure to guard your credit card details? Other fields that are as young as climate science are plate tectonics and nuclear energy. All suspect?

Who are these 'eco-freaks' you speak of? The IPCC perhaps? How do you know that their claims are not supported by the scientists?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This forum is about European Union politics, not Green Issues. This thread is locked because people persist in thinking it's the latter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement