Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting eircom bb to laptop?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I currently have eircom bb at home running downstairs on desktop,im looking to buy a laptop and use my existing bb connection to surf anywhere else in the house...is this possible?presume i just connect to it and enter wep key or do i need any other devices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That's the gist of it! No other devices required if the laptop is in any way modern. When you ran the eircom setup CD, it would have generated a WEP key. Be sure to change this to WPA encryption as it currently offers more protection against having your wifi hacked into. This can be done by opening up http://192.168.1.254 (unless you changed the IP address of the router) and going to the relevant section for wireless. Pick a strong password. This may help.

Now, to the laptop. It should 'see' your wifi network. You can give your network a name from the page mentioned above to something more meaningful. Select to connect to this network and enter your password. You may also need to state the type of encryption being used.

Advertisement