Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Microsoft win it for Nintendo?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You ask why the hell not GP and then you give us a few reasons why!

I am happy with my actual ps2, it seems to play said games okay!

If it was possible via a software update though there is no end to the amount they could make by selling online games (whatever about ps1 games-there are alot more (and better) ps2 ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

noodler wrote: »
    If it was possible via a software update though there is no end to the amount they could make by selling online games (whatever about ps1 games-there are alot more (and better) ps2 ones).
    That's so very true, but I think the problem there is that Sony needs to sort out the rights of games before they can go up on the PSN, so I'm not sure if we'd suddenly see a flood of awesome PS2 games up on the Euro PSN. Hell we haven't even gotten a handful of decent PS1 games on the Euro PSN yet.

I imagine that once Sony convince Square-Enix or Konami to release some of their PS1 gems on the US/Euro PSN, that will be when publishers see a lot of money is there to be made and maybe Sony will start pushing publishers to re-release their games (well the publishers that still exist anyways).

I have no idea what the hold up is. Konami and the rest are sitting on a bunch of old games they will never again make money from unless they release them now. I mean surely there will be even less people willing to play them in the next gen.

Maybe they are arguing over who gets the biggest share of the pie when a game is sold via psn. A real shame though.

EDIT: I haven't downloaded Siren or Wipeout HD yet (will soon) but how big were they? I can imagine a 4.7GB ps2 game being too big for the speeds we have today?

See I would have thought that too, that there are rights and money issues, but the Japanese PSN store has hundreds of games. Maybe Japanese publishers are just more willing to give digital downloads a shot?

Sony have said that they're 're-evaluating' some stuff to do with the PSN this year so maybe we'll see things improve. Capcom have hinted at releasing PS1 titles on the PSN so we could get Resident Evil :D
    noodler wrote: »
    EDIT: I haven't downloaded Siren or Wipeout HD yet (will soon) but how big were they? I can imagine a 4.7GB ps2 game being too big for the speeds we have today?
    Wipeout HD isn't even a gig, I think it's just under 800MB. I dunno about Siren though. I downloaded the latest Yellow Dog Linux release (about 3GB) and that took about 1.5 hours at ~1MB/sec (I haven't done the math so you'll have to tell me if that makes sense.) Our connection speeds could be double or quadruple what they are now though by the time PS2 games are up on the PSN :pac:

The Japanese store makes it even more of a conundrum.

I know we are hijacking this thread a bit but you'd think.... just put up nearly every game you have (or that was popilar) and then there won't have to be a rights or sales issue until someone actually buys it.

I was reading the PSN blog after the firmware update announcement (haven't upgraded yet) and alot of people were commenting to release BC as as update. As I was reading that I thought it was retarded and impossible but no1 was correcting them or telling them it couldn't be done.

Any idea what size a BC file would be, if at all possible?>

• Advertisement

It's possible that they could use compression of some sort to reduce the file size, but you're still looking at ~4GB. However, I doubt many games use the full 4.7GB of a single layer DVD. Maybe something like FFXII or MGS3 does, but the majority don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Samurai wrote: »
    I'm unsure if its that as I age I enjoy games less or if its that the latest gen games are too focused on graphics, probably the age bit!

I have yet to play a game on a console that ive enjoyed more than a PC game. The only exception here is "wii-esque" games. Stuff for the wii is fun in a new way and likewise rhythym games like DDR and GH are fun also. One of the main factors i find these fun is that for the most part you cant play them on a pc. The gazillion titles available for the 360 (which i own and have played nothing apart from gh3) and the ps3 seem boring to me compared to their pc predecessors.

I find it ironic that climate control calls the wii a 'toy' compared the SRS BSNS of next gen consoles, while i see those exact consoles as toys for people who cant seem to play real games on the pc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nearly all PS2 games don't come close to filling up a DVD. Most of the games can be cut down since a lot of the disc is usually blank data so that the disc read speeds are a lot higher. Sure there are free programs that will get rid of this blank space for you free online.

As for PS1 games there are a lot of licensing issues involved. Most of Sonys output was from third party studios who hold the rights to the sony published games. Also Square Enix and indeed for many japanese companies, had their games published over seas by other publishers. Square as an example had all it's games published through EA and SCEA and in Europe by SCEE. If they want to release on the PSN of america and europe there will be a few niggles to sort out with their previous publishers and neither will be happy if they aren't getting a share of the profits.

Konami on the other hand have no excuse. Sort it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

It's IBM MS are competing against & IBM are winning hands down. Nintendo wii and Sony PS3 both use power processors developed by IBM which have a far superior architecture than intel rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It's IBM MS are competing against & IBM are winning hands down. Nintendo wii and Sony PS3 both use power processors developed by IBM which have a far superior architecture than intel rubbish.

uhmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Rumours abound that the PS4 will be an all intel solution: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/851/1050851/intel-design-playstation-gpu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Dustaz wrote: »
    I have yet to play a game on a console that ive enjoyed more than a PC game. The only exception here is "wii-esque" games. Stuff for the wii is fun in a new way and likewise rhythym games like DDR and GH are fun also. One of the main factors i find these fun is that for the most part you cant play them on a pc. The gazillion titles available for the 360 (which i own and have played nothing apart from gh3) and the ps3 seem boring to me compared to their pc predecessors.

I find it ironic that climate control calls the wii a 'toy' compared the SRS BSNS of next gen consoles, while i see those exact consoles as toys for people who cant seem to play real games on the pc.
    The xbox is a pc and is the obvious choice if you are used to the games from that environment.

Lol at real games, how elitist is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The xbox is a pc and is the obvious choice if you are used to the games from that environment.
    i dont think you got the gist of my post
    Lol at real games, how elitist is that.
    Ironic.

Have you read your own posts on this thread?

Advertisement