Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excess baggage and 1/2 boxes - shipping to oz

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

Just wondering what companies people have used to ship an extra bag and a box or two of books etc to oz from Ireland and the approximate cost etc. How long did it take to get there?

Thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Hey Anthony

you could give http://www.postnet.ie/ a try

Tell Peter Alan from Ozeire sent you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I sent 30kg to NZ by air freight with executive excess baggage http://www.exec-excessbaggage.ie/. Shipping is cheaper but can take 3 months. I didn't want to wait that long. We sent extra winter clothes and some books and things.

It cost me about €300 and the service was really excellent, I couldn't recommend them enough. He delivered a box and packaging materials to my house, then collected the box and helped us fill in all the relevant customs forms etc. We spent 2 weeks in Malaysia on the way here and when we got here our box was waiting at the airport for us.

The only thing is, to ship possessions abroad you need to have a physical address to send them to for customs reasons. Even if you are collecting the box at the airport (as we did) you need an address in the country. Luckily we had my OH's parents address so it was fine. Do you have a friend's address you can put on it? This was for NZ so Aus might be different but I doubt it. They guy from the company will be able to tell you. He was very well informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

This might sound like a really stupid question, but I shall ask it nonetheless! :)
    Not meaning to hijack but it seems linked.

I shipped most of the stuff I need back in October, but what with Christmas gifts and such, I have one heavy box worth I'd like to send over. (why did everyone give me books?)

I was going to either courier it to myself, or divide it all up into smaller parcels and just post it to myself - but would either way incur an AQIS quarantine charge? Already paying quarantine fees on my shipping proper and don't want to pay another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 crispyc

I am currently in the process of sending a load of boxes to australia using excess-baggage.com and so far have had a very bad experience with them.

The delivery of boxes was stuffed up and they never arrived, had to call back 4 or 5 times before I got a response, they never ever returned my calls or answered my emails. Finally they sent out a new set of boxes when I got angry on the phone.

Then when boxes due to pick up the courier didn't arrive. Same deal as for box drop off, they never answered mails or returned calls. Finally a week late the boxes got picked up.

Now it is one day before I leave so I rang to check what's going on because I got no response saying the boxes were on their way and no invoice for the payment. They said invoice would be emailed immediately. Of course didn't happen.

So I call back at 10 to 5 and say what's going on? They say Oh, there's one box missing, so they can't send the shipment till it's found. But they have tracked down that the box was left behind at the courier in Dublin.

No calls to me to say what's going on, no replies to emails and every time I call I get promises that something is just about to be resolved, but it never is.

I would not recommend these guys, so far I have only seen incredible incompentence and a total lack of communication.

God knows if the stuff will ever arrive.....not looking good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Stubs

I found An Post great. Have had several packages sent out at this stage and always arrives within 2 weeks. Only €130 for a 20kg parcel. I priced several other courriers etc and nowhere came close in value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 crispyc

Yeah Stubs, AnPost is great, I sent 20kg from there as well, but this excess-baggage company is for sending stuff sea freight (or air if you want) at a much cheaper rate.

So we sent household stuff and extra clothes etc....who knows if it will arrive tho..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

My friends all used Seven Seas with good results and im in the process of using them now. They seem really good and very helpful. Im even going to trust them with my bike!

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Sundy wrote: »
    My friends all used Seven Seas with good results and im in the process of using them now. They seem really good and very helpful. Im even going to trust them with my bike!

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com

Hey Sundy,

I see you are shipping your bike to Aus. My BF and I are moving to Aus in February. He races motocross and has sold his bike here in order to buy a new on in Aus but bikes over there seem quiet expensive so he was thinking of buying one here and shipping it over.. I just checked out that website you suggested but didn't come across anything relating to bikes or vehicles. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to ship a bike over? Or would the cost of buying a bike here and then shipping it over just end up costing as much as buying a new bike in Aus? Thanks, L :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Sorry should have said bicycle, its only 8kg so it doesnt cost too much.

ring them and ask them though, they are really helpful.

Advertisement