Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My (so far sucessful) Technique

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just thought i might help those thinking of giving up, especially since its January and all that.

I used to smoke approx 20 Marlboro Reds (:o) a day and just got completely fed up. I think the most important part is that you really have to want to give up. If your determined enough, you'll do it.

I first moved on to rollies, to weign (sp?) myself off them. When I started this, I rolled one up only when I really needed one. Under no circumstances should you have a normal ciggy, only your rolled ones. This will be a pain in the ass, especially when your out having a few pints -- but thats the whole point -- to make it as difficult to smoke as possible.

As time goes by, try smoking less and less rollies a day. You can drag this out at your own pace. You could even set a target, eg. 1 less a day every week that goes by. Aim to get to the magical number of 2 rollies a day, or even better 1 a day. Once I got to 2 a day, I knew I was nearly there. The only ones I had were the morning one and the after dinner one. You can stay at this point for quite some time if you wish (it took me around a month and a half...gradually decreasing the amount I smoked in a day). The need for tobacco will become less and less.

I had intended to stay at this stage longer, but one day I was a good 15 min drive from a shop, and it was midnight. I ran out of rollies, but for some reason I decided not to buy anymore! And that was it! I havn't touched, nor have wanted to touch, a cigarette since!

That was approx 7 months ago, and I have to say I'm delighted!!!

I also tried to fill the void with kinda healthy stuff, like going for a jog, and joined the local gym. Have to say that really helped! When I needed a fag, I went to the gym...so everyone wins!

Just thought I'd share my story. You can do it!! Any advice or questions, let me know. Hope this helps somebody!? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'v heard of the rollies method before, but it does require a lot of willpower, something you obviously have.

What works for some will not work for all, but you have shown that this method has served you well and I congratulate you on that.

Your input here will be valued.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Congratulations on what must have been the hardest way possible to quit. Don't wish to take from your success but why go through all that agony of dragging it out so long ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TheBigGuy

what ever works my man the end result is what matters

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can easily fall into the trap of getting better at rolling up and making them smaller to smoke less but then smoking more smaller ones. If you do this then go for as little paper as possible - silver rizlas are the thinnest afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Wow, forgotten i had written this!

Update: It is now well over a year, and im still havnt touched them.

As far as im concerned it doesnt really make a difference as to how long you drag it out. All is better that fully smoking!? Also, if you rush it, then your more likely to fail.

@Pal: I dont think it was the hardest way. The hardest i think is using patches/inhalers etc. They still feed you with nicotene. Once you get this outta your system (which apparently is only 3~4 days as far as i can remember), all you got to do is break the physical habit.

I dunno. It worked for me anywayz!? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement