Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugarcraft courses in the West?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I'm eager to find a sugarcraft course for beginners in the West, particularly close to Galway if possible. My google searches have come up with nothing, can anyone recommend one?

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

Hi Eviledna

Just wondering if you had any success in getting information on sugarcraft courses in the galway area. My wife is very interested in it and would love to do a course.

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Freelancebeauty

check out these guys - might be a bit of a trek but they look credible :)
    http://www.corksugarcraft.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Newmem, alas no, I have not yet found a place that runs courses. I even asked in shops that supply the wilton sugarcraft accessories and I was met with the usual confusion combined with incredulity as to the existence of such a thing.
    [rant]Drives me mad. Why would you sell something that you have no idea about?? I'm talking about you, Options Galway![/rant]

Freelancebeauty, call me lazy but a 4-5 hour drive is more than a trek! Thanks though.

Does anyone have an idea about sugarcraft courses in the West?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Hi,Was in Limerick today and there is a kitchen shop there, sells all sort of cake decorating stuff as well, they had sign on door advertising sugarcraft classes. Limerick is still a fair trek from Galway, but maybe if there was a reasonable demand something could be arranged. I think the shop was called the Kitchen range or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

GIMT to confectionary coruses would would include sugar craft. One you know the basics you can figure the rest out yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Seaneh, do you have any more info about these courses> I can't find any info on their site or in their prospectus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 galway2

The sugarcraft is run in Hotel School as part of the BA in culinary Arts Prog. You can apply to the school still for this programme. Have a look at the prospect on line to get all the info on it.

Thanks a million to all who answered my query...so far it would appear that you have to partake of the degree to do that part of that Culinary Course. But I'm gonna give them a ring and find out if they allow people to sit in, cause I'm not a chef, just a gal with an intense interest in baking!:pac:

I do think there is a severe lack of this kind of hobby courses in the West, there even are less bakeries here then there are in the east and south, (having lived in all three I speak from experience). Seems there is a niche in the market if any expert bakers/icers are out there!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

they do evening coruses too, atleast, they used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Baker8609

Hi,

I know this thread is from 2009 but dunno if ye found any classes!
    GMIT are doing modern baking classes in the evening and the advanced modern baking includes sugarcraft.
    Have a look at the online prospectus and see if its any good to ye?
    http://www.gmit.ie/lifelong-learning/lifelong-learning-programmes/general-interest/cookery/introduction-to-modern-home-baking-advanced.html

• Advertisement

Ooh thanks a million Baker8609, that's fantastic! Just missed the Feb enrolement, I'll make sept though!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I keep hearing about people wanting to do courses in it, I've been asked a few times if I would do it, am half thinking of starting up some lessons myself in the Galway area, if I thought there was enough interest. Can I ask, what kind of things are ye most interested in learning? I would love to start off with a one day class, to teach people the basics and get them started.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spadina wrote: »
    I keep hearing about people wanting to do courses in it, I've been asked a few times if I would do it, am half thinking of starting up some lessons myself in the Galway area, if I thought there was enough interest. Can I ask, what kind of things are ye most interested in learning? I would love to start off with a one day class, to teach people the basics and get them started.

Just to say, I'd actually travel from Cork if you were doing a one day class.

I'll be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what the term "sugarcraft" encompasses, but I've seen enough of your cakes to be interested in whatever you're teaching!

A one-day class would be great, cos at the mo funds arent exactly rolling in and 150 on a baking course is a bit much.

Spadina I'd love to learn from you, and here's a list where I'm lacking:

Basic Sugarcraft modelling, tools, tips and examples,(Making little people?)
    Covering cakes properly and without tearing/cracking!:eek:
    Colours, blending and techniques
    Best practice in preparation,rolling, kneading, good surfaces etc.

I'm sure there's more...I can make tasty cakes but they are never as pretty when I ice them as I'd like. This really is a showy-howy type of thing. Always thought GTI would be a perfect venue for this kinda thing.

Thanks Faith :) Sugarcraft used to just kind of mean the flowers that are an artform in themselves, but now with more people doing novelty cakes I think it is a general term for decorative features on a cake made from sugar products.

Yeah Eviledna that is kind of the stuff I was thinking of, just the basics, covering a cake, basic models, and the general good tips and prep work involved. I must have a think about it, I would definitely consider teaching a one day course, very informal and really hands on, as that is how I learned (self taught) and it is the only way you get to know it.

Thanks so far guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Just to jump in to say that I would be really interested in a course like this! :)

Good to know about the GMIT course, but it would be nice to start with something shorter (and cheaper!) to see if it's something I like/would be any good at.

Can I also ask so what kind of prices people would expect/be happy to pay for a day course, or a long one off course like 4/5 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Baker8609

Hi Spadina,
    would def be on for a course if you'd run one! i know my cousin would prob be interested too!:D

Spadina wrote: »
    Can I also ask so what kind of prices people would expect/be happy to pay for a day course, or a long one off course like 4/5 hours?

Well to look at a site offering evening cookery clases, the going rate seems to be €45 - 50 for a 2 - 3 hour class. I guess the price will depend on the cost of materials and the amount of people coming along. I would be happy to pay this (or maybe a bit more for a longer day).

I must have a look around to see where it would be possible to run such a class.

If I was to do this I would be telling people to bring their own materials, ie sugarpaste for modelling, cakes if they wanted to decorate/cover them, as I am not in a position to supply things really, and if I did it I imagine would up the cost considerably. But I use very few tools, just a few that are good multi taskers and I improvise with other utensils instead of forking out a fortune for specific tools so it would be easy to do a basics class with just sugarpaste, rolling pin and hands :)

• Advertisement

This sounds perfect. Knowing what is needed in advance would be great, and I'm definitely on for using basic utensils. I'd like to know the basics before shelling out for a pile of fancy tools I might never need.

It depends on numbers of course, but a big kitchen table could be enough to get started. I would offer my kitchen as a venue but it is beyond tiny. I'll have a think though. Ideally somewhere cheap/free :)

My kitchen is quite big with lots of work space and I have public liability insurance but I don't live in the city so I'm not sure if people would be willing to travel. But I'll definitely think about it, it'd be at least a month/6 weeks time before I could seriously consider it but hmm, got me thinking :)

Spadina, AFAIK the ballybane enterprise centre have recently outfitted their facility with a kitchen. They are very accommodating for this kind of thing. And as for the BYO cake issue, could styrofoam cake dummies be used?

If you teamed up with a supplier like stuff4cakes or someone, they might put together a supplies-pack for a lower price if you advertised them during the course?

Also I'd be happy to pay around the 50 mark for a shorter 2-3 hour session too.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This sounds like a great idea - I would be interested in learning too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tays

Count me in too!! Would love to do this!! A Saturday would be good! Maybe start around 11 or 12 give people time to travel to Galway! Would have no problem with BYO:)

Hiya,

We'd have enough for a class from this thread alone! I'm going to go see the place in Ballybane as a possible venue, won't be for a week or so though, but I'll update you all when I have anymore info :)

If anyone had any questions or ideas feel free to PM me, or if anyone wanted to know my credentials for maybe teaching ye PM me and I'll direct you to my work :) I'm self taught and only doing cakes a while so it's all still very fresh in my mind, which is what I think would be good for teaching people, I hope so anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 netty11

HIya,
    I was just looking for courses in Galway and came across this thread, I have made one sugarcraft cake for my sis 30 birthday but would love some tips and tricks for future cake making. The one in GMIT is a bit pricey for a first time course but a one day course would be perfect. Could you PM me Spadina if you have room and info about an upcoming course?

Thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Hi Spadina,

I am making my first shoe cake next month, using a chocolate biscuit cake base. I'm just wondering what the basic tools are that I would need?

Would I be better off to buy one of the shoe-making kits or just trying to figure it out from youtube tutorials etc?

Any pointers appreciated!

netty11 wrote: »
    HIya,
    I was just looking for courses in Galway and came across this thread, I have made one sugarcraft cake for my sis 30 birthday but would love some tips and tricks for future cake making. The one in GMIT is a bit pricey for a first time course but a one day course would be perfect. Could you PM me Spadina if you have room and info about an upcoming course?

Thanks! ;)

Hi netty, I'll definitely let you know :)

I must have a look around to see where I could hold it, I don't live in the city myself so I don't know that my own home would be any good to a lot of people if they don't drive etc so might be a while before I get anything organised.
    Hi Spadina,

I am making my first shoe cake next month, using a chocolate biscuit cake base. I'm just wondering what the basic tools are that I would need?

Would I be better off to buy one of the shoe-making kits or just trying to figure it out from youtube tutorials etc?

Any pointers appreciated!

I make my shoes completely freehand, I don't even use tools for them actually so I can't offer too much advice on that I'm afraid. I haven't seen any tutorials on youtube but I bet there are loads of good ones that would help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 netty11

Ok thanks very much. I drive so if you get a few people who are interested in driving to the venue let me know if that is an option. Would it be possible for you to send examples of your work as you mentioned it in an earlier thread that you could direct us to your work?

Thanks!

Advertisement