Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st Time Insurance - Provisional License?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

hi folks,

i know its a fairly general question, but I'll put it out there anyway..

Any recommendations of which insurance company to choose? few details:
    Male, 23, provisional license, 1.4 vvti toyota corolla hatchback '01.
    Insurance on my own.

Also, friends have said to me to go with "Third party fire & theft" as its my first car..agree?

looking for good cover (and obviously cheaper the better).

Any suggestions welcome..

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id say you cant beat quinn direct for male young drivers. i would recommend comprehensive as the car is still worth about 3000-4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You won't know which company is cheapest for YOU unless you ring around.

Insurance is different for everyone. Hibernian were the cheapest quote for mine, but the most expensive for a friend who worked for them at the time giving similar details.

ALWAYS get comprehensive insurance if you can't afford to be without a car, or can't afford to replace it immediately out of your own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

I would give Quinn a shout they were the cheapest I could find. (20 year old male).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Get a piece of paper, pen, phonebook, phone and an hour of your time. Ring every company and broker for a quote (3rd party and fully comp) and write them all down, along with whatever extra benefits you might get. Then make your choice. I really don't understand why young drivers don't take the time to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i would recommend comprehensive as the car is still worth about 3000-4000.
    I'd be going for comprehensive to pay for any ultra expensive medical bills or continuing treatment/care should I have a serious accident. I wouldn't give a toss about a piece of plastic and metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Exact same situation as yourself last year. Ring around is your best advice. the cheapest I found was AXA for €1700. Quinn quoted me 2,500€! Don't know how they have such a good rep...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

id say you cant beat quinn direct for male young drivers. i would recommend comprehensive as the car is still worth about 3000-4000.

comprehensive is gona cost you an arm and a leg. I remember when I started to drive at the same age with a 1.2 punto going from TPFT to full cover added €1.5k to a premium of €3.6k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

eoin wrote: »
    Get a piece of paper, pen, phonebook, phone and an hour of your time. Ring every company and broker for a quote (3rd party and fully comp) and write them all down, along with whatever extra benefits you might get.

100% agree, i do this every year just to make sure I'm getting the best deal. Last year the quotes I got varied by as much as €1400 cheapest to dearest!! In the end I went with Axa through a broker...and was €120 cheaper than Axa's direct quote...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

GalKiefer wrote: »
    I went with Axa through a broker...and was €120 cheaper than Axa's direct quote...:confused:

Yep happened to me several times. OP - do what eoin said and ring them ALL (plus do the online ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

GalKiefer wrote: »
    100% agree, i do this every year just to make sure I'm getting the best deal. Last year the quotes I got varied by as much as 1400 cheapest to dearest!! In the end I went with Axa through a broker...and was 120 cheaper than Axa's direct quote...:confused:

This year axa quoted me 1251 yo yo...the same policy with axa through a broker was only 570. Seriously shop about as much as you possible. You'll be suprised by the variation

• Advertisement
Advertisement