Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage Civic reliable?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to buy a Civic 1.4 hatchback model around the 98/99 year mark.
    Was just wondering if anyone has this type of car or could they tell me how reliable one is with high mileage, I'm talking in and around about 90000 miles/144840 km.
    I probably would not buy one wit 90000 miles if I can help it but I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an indication of the Civics reliability when the mileage does get high on the car.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

as long as it has had timing belt/regular oil changes and hasn't been driven to within an inch of its life by some youngfella you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has this type of car or could they tell me how reliable one is with high mileage, I'm talking in and around about 90000 miles/144840 km.
    I probably would not buy one wit 90000 miles if I can help it but I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an indication of the Civics reliability when the mileage does get high on the car.

Cheers.

in england these are driven by old men in flat caps who service them and love them

buy one of those and it'lllast forever and a day

in ireland they are driven by my mate anto

do not but a car off anto he's mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Agreed. As long as it hasn't been driven by some young hooligan you'll be grand. I would therefore avoid cars with aftermarket exhausts and engine modifications. They're as tough as nails and the engines are strong. Just make sure the t-belt and oil has been changed and you'll have a car good for another 100k miles at least. The only thing that went wrong with my '96 1.4 saloon was the catalytic converter. They tend to burn out (if that's the correct term) anyway after around 130k miles but it's a big outlay at around E400. Good luck anyway.

P.S: They're ten a penny so you can afford to be choosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Ive seen a few around that have half of Halfords stuck on to them, so the look of it and the previous owner are something I'm going to be looking at because getting one from England is too time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi all,

Cheers.

Get someone to check it out before you buy. They don't cause hassle though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Thats not high milage for a jap car, theres plenty more left in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

i had a 96 honda civic 1.4

it had 210,000 k on it!! was perfect. very smooth runnung engin

just keep the timing good. honda engine last for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That model was bulletproof. I bought one new in '97 and kept it until 2006 by which time I'd racked up 230,000 miles on it. The only things I ever changed were the brakepads and of course timing belts every 60,000 miles. Never even had to change the battery believe it or not.

Its still going too. Although it now has a few, ahem, additions to the bodywork......................makes me sad to see her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

As long as its has been well cared for and will be in the future theres about 100+k miles still in her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

which time I'd racked up 230,000 miles on it..

Fu*king hell!!

i think that answers it all!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I know someone who traded in a 98 civic with 110k on it, absolutely nothing wrong with it, he got €3k for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

mc01a wrote: »
    Fu*king hell!!

i think that answers it all!!:)

Got 3,500 for it at the time too! Great little car. Not convinced the new ones are as well built though, although mechanically still excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 goodladdy

Hi all,

Cheers.

1.4 civic is fairly bullet proof even after bein drove to the moon and back by anto, all his friends and cousins aswell, they'll last for ever and ever! only thing i'd say is the 1.4 is a li'l bit underpowered if you ever planned on carrying more than yourself around in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

goodladdy wrote: »
    1.4 civic is fairly bullet proof even after bein drove to the moon and back by anto, all his friends and cousins aswell

pacman.gif''Wha ya bleadin' sayin'??!!'' /knackman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Civic 99' hatch is an AK-47 of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

goodladdy wrote: »
    1.4 civic is fairly bullet proof even after bein drove to the moon and back by anto, all his friends and cousins aswell, they'll last for ever and ever! only thing i'd say is the 1.4 is a li'l bit underpowered if you ever planned on carrying more than yourself around in it!

The 1.4 is 89bhp in that model, you couldn't get any more power in any 1.4 back then. The Golf was a pathetic 75bhp till recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I had an older model, '95 3dr hatch, lovely car and never had an once of trouble with it. Had it during 2 nct's and flew both times. Got the idea of getting a van but I'd get one again for sure, bullet-proof but I did always think the rear of the hatch model was very light on the corners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

90k is absolutely nothing on these cars.

I've an '02 one, the later 3dr one. To be honest I paid over the odds for it in July '08 @ €3,850 albeit from a main Toyota dealer (no trade in). As far as I know it's 1.4 lump is only a slightly revised version of that found in the <00 model (89bhp).

It's not at all underpowered unless you have 5 heavy passengers/luggage. It's a nippy enough little thing. Anyway I bought it with 100k miles and @115k it's still perfect. The only thing ever changed was the timing belt/ARB bushes/Oil/Filters/wiper blades/tyres.

It feels/drives/looks like new as mine was well taken care of (MSL Ireland mechanic was the original owner, lives down the road from me)

I'd say go for it. I'd avoid Anto Special's. Try and find a nice clean example. Condition/history is far more important than odometer readings.

I'm planning on driving mine til it dies so i'll get back to you in a good few years (hopefully) time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Be sure to check timing belt, tyres etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

+1 make sure everything has been changed at the correct intervals. 72k for timing belt in this case IIRC (very rare they go before this). Although you will hear noises before the timing belt gives up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Cheers everyone for all the info, it helped me big time, who needs wikipedia anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

90k miles is not high mileage on a 10 year old car. I'd find how the car was maintained by it's owners more important than what the odometer reads.

I think people can be too focused on judging a car by what the odometer reads which is not an accurate measurment of useage or wear and tear.

Advertisement