Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I am trying to get port forwarding working and I am having problems. I have a zyxel P660HW-D1 and a BT account. I have followed the guide on portforward.com for this router but I can't get anywhere. I was trying to do it for TVersity but have also tried a couple of other ports like tomcat which I have running.
    Can anyone point out a problem with the guide or is there something else I should be doing.
    The guide talks about setting a static ip address, I presumed this means a static ip address for the pc I am connecting to and not the router, is this correct? Do I have to do this if I have reserved the ip address for the pc in the route setup?
    Also when it says to enter the ip address of the server I presume it means the ip address of the pc on my lan (e.g. 192.168.1.35), correct?
    I have shutdown zonealarm on the pc also but it makes no difference.
    I have tried to browse to the TVersity and tomcat from a itouch using http://myrouteripaddress:41592 and http://myrouteripaddress:8084 but it just times out.
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be wrong?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cracker wrote: »
    Hi

I am trying to get port forwarding working and I am having problems. I have a zyxel P660HW-D1 and a BT account. I have followed the guide on portforward.com for this router but I can't get anywhere. I was trying to do it for TVersity but have also tried a couple of other ports like tomcat which I have running.
    Can anyone point out a problem with the guide or is there something else I should be doing.
    The guide talks about setting a static ip address, I presumed this means a static ip address for the pc I am connecting to and not the router, is this correct? Do I have to do this if I have reserved the ip address for the pc in the route setup?
    Also when it says to enter the ip address of the server I presume it means the ip address of the pc on my lan (e.g. 192.168.1.35), correct?
    I have shutdown zonealarm on the pc also but it makes no difference.
    I have tried to browse to the TVersity and tomcat from a itouch using http://myrouteripaddress:41592 and http://myrouteripaddress:8084 but it just times out.
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be wrong?

Thanks

Dave

You'll need to set a static IP on the PC first. There's no need to reserve the IP the routing setup. And the router will normally only apply the port forwarding rules on its WAN interface, not the internal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Thanks Spear.

When you say it will only apply the port forwarding on its wan interface does this mean to test it I have to be logged onto the internet from outside my network? I could do this from work etc it could get a bit painful for a novice for me if I can only make a single change and then wait until the next day to test it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cracker wrote: »
    Thanks Spear.

When you say it will only apply the port forwarding on its wan interface does this mean to test it I have to be logged onto the internet from outside my network? I could do this from work etc it could get a bit painful for a novice for me if I can only make a single change and then wait until the next day to test it.

You could forward 3389 TCP to the PC and use remote desktop, or activate remote admin access on the router to allow you to reconfigure the router as needed, no need to make a single change at a time. Until you get the port forwarding working, you could also use www.logmein.com to access your home PC without the need to forward ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Well, Im no expert on this at the minute, but ive had similar port problems,and did a LOT of research into it, and dumbed down what I can sum it up to is

1.Set up a static IP address on your computer (assuming you know how to do that) making sure you set the DNS servers to what they were (IPconfig /all into your cmd.exe , and copy those down, make sure you use them)

2. In your program check the ports that it is using, take them down, and open your router settings, go into the port forwarding section and make sure you set the IP address of the program in your router THE SAME as what you set it to on your computer. All you need are the ports taht the program will sue. if you can set it once you can do it as often as you need.

Most programs should do it themselves, and shouldnt need any help, but the odd time you will need to.

I know its just basically a straight cog of whats on portforward but its all there is to it. Im using a netgear router, and thats what works for me!

Advertisement