Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stolen car

Options
  • 03-01-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

My dad lost his car last night,he parked it somewhere to get on the luas and after he came back he couldnt find
    He called the garda and they came,they saw that the car was taken by a truck as there were marks on the road and the keys were with him

Its a volkswagon pasat,black,leather inside

reg number 06-D-14888
    1.9 TDI 4DR B6 SAL HIGH 105
    IF ANYONE ONE SEES THIS CAR PLESE PM ME

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

was thats a very sad story
    were there any cameras in the area (they will be of help go to the shops aroubnd the area and ask them)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If i lose something i always check my back pocket:p

So was it Stolen or towed away?
    Maybe he was illegally parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

yeah it was taken by a truck

ayumi wrote: »

I understand that but maybe it was towed by the Council for being parked illegally! Did the Gardai check that?

Hogzy wrote: »
    I understand that but maybe it was towed by the Council for being parked illegally! Did the Gardai check that?
    no it wasnt as it was ok to park there all the time

• Advertisement

ell to be honest if your car was picked up by a truck its more than likely not stolen, Its probably been towed away. Im not from Dublin and i dunno where it was "lost" so i dunno which council you would call, but he you should be able to figure that out for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Give us a bit more info OP. Was it dragged onto the back of a recovery truck???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Give us a bit more info OP. Was it dragged onto the back of a recovery truck???
    it was as there were marks of the wheels on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

He called the garda and they came,they saw that the car was taken by a truck as there were marks on the road and the keys were with him
    What does this bit mean?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    What does this bit mean?

Her Dad had the keys... They werent in the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

it was as there were marks of the wheels on the road

Have you actually tried ringing any recovery companies in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Where in Dublin was it parked? It could have possibly been towed by a recovery company for being parked illegally. Ring the local authorities..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Dublin City Council-Vehicle clamping, tow-away and other fines

There are phone numbers and contact details within the following link:

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Clamping/Pages/Clamping.aspx

What to do if:

* Your vehicle is clamped.
    * Your vehicle has been towed-away.
    * Your vehicle gets a parking ticket.

Maybe a place to start.

ell to be honest if your car was picked up by a truck its more than likely not stolen, Its probably been towed away. Im not from Dublin and i dunno where it was "lost" so i dunno which council you would call, but he you should be able to figure that out for yourself?

Its not that uncommon. Ive heard of a few cars getting robbed in this way.

Much easier than trying to get round the immobilizer on newer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

the new models are fitted with an electronic handbrake as to a standard
    hand brake the keys are needed to start car to release the parking brake,(push button)
    surely it couldnt be towed or such like ..... sounds strange indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

minxie1 wrote: »
    hand brake the keys are needed to start car to release the parking brake,(push button)
    a winch would easily pull it on to the back of a truck with the handbrake on

guil07 wrote: »
    a winch would easily pull it on to the back of a truck with the handbrake on
    never crossed my mind, wouldnt that do a fair bit of damage.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've seen cars driven with the handbrake on, never mind just dragged up onto a tow truck.

no just wear the tyres a small bit

what to do now after calling the council and garda

• Advertisement

what did they say??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Ring the insurance company and report it stolen. They should have an out of hours number.

Cars are always towed away by the council using a winch!!! ell they are in cork anyways and no damage is done. They hook onto the chassis part where you would connect a jack!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cars are always towed away by the council using a winch!!! ell they are in cork anyways and no damage is done. They hook onto the chassis part where you would connect a jack!

If you are winching a car up with the handbrake on, they should always use sliders, or dolly wheels.

Our recovery guy has sliders to go under the rear wheels on Passat's for when the handbrake switch goes (which it does on a large %) and they need to be recovered to a VW dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With all due respect to the OP I cannot see a thief with a recovery truck taking a Passat to be honest. If it was a high end, rare car then maybe.

I reckon this car is sitting in a pound somewhere. OP did you check the surrounding area where it was parked for any signs or notices by the company that more than likely removed it?

The longer it is sitting in a pound the more it will cost your father to get it released.

it was parked in the luas parking near the beacon hotel so why would they clamp it when it was parked for 3 hours

but how does he know if it was there for 3 hours, it could of bein taken 10 mins after he left, do as bazz says and have a look around for any signs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Was it parallel parked on that straight road that leads onto Clonskeagh road with no yellow lines just down from the Beacon Hotel??

it was IN the luas parking of stillorgan luas station,the one beside the new apartments near he beacon hotel and shopping centre

• Advertisement

did he have a ticket on it, is there not security guards walkin around the luas car parks

Advertisement