Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin sites and outside Dublin?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Hey guys my bf is coming over in couple of weeks for two weeks holidays.:o I have never had to show someone around Dublin or any of Ireland before and dont really off top of my head no where to start.
    Anyone who can give me some tips please would be really great cause i really want this trip to be special for him and us.:)
    Places to see and things to see that you think would be great help:)

Dublin surrounding areas and anywhere you find interesting for someone from abroad.
    Thanks alot K :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have you a car? Rent a car?
    Go driving in Wicklow. Glendalough, Powerscourt, Sally Gap, there's more.
    Sure bring a picnic, eh.......it's not that cold realy!

You can make a full day out of it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

mikemac wrote: »
    Have you a car? Rent a car?
    Go driving in Wicklow. Glendalough, Powerscourt, Sally Gap, there's more.
    Sure bring a picnic, eh.......it's not that cold realy!

You can make a full day out of it anyway

Yep have a car :)
    Thanks thats great idea Glendalough and wicklow and sally Gap
    Picnic idea like it :)
    Thanks for quick reply

Never been to powerscourt whats it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

shqipshume wrote: »
    Never been to powerscourt whats it like?

Beautiful is the answer :)
    http://www.powerscourt.ie/
    powerscourt-gardens-enniskerry-wickpowg.jpg

Oh wow that is beautiful :) Thanks for that

Hey what about Irish historical sites? And is the bullet holes still in GPO wall? Cause he is major history buff loves Irish History and any other suggestions?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hugh Lane gallery (top of Parnell sq.). It has 2 of the worlds top 100 arty things to see (according to an indepedent international poll I came across) Beautiful gem of a gallery. Pop into Conways after (yes folks it has re-opened) for a pot of tea and a ham and cheese toasty. Then off to Kilmainham Gaol for a big blast of history (it does cost a fiver though) and then into Museum of Modern art across the road for a bit more culture then off to the Phoenix park where you can rent a tandum bike and take a spin out to Farmleigh and back. Then wrap up the day over a bowl of chowder and a few pints in Ryan's of Parkgate St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Kilmainham jail might be a good spot to visit for you, Dublin Castle and the Chester Beatty Library, Trinity college is worth a stroll through and the book of kells might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

only problem with powerscourt at this time of year is that its winter and most of the flowers are not in bloom, and the trees bare.

Thanks so much mikemac,humberklog,belleray already great ideas :)

He does want to see Brittas bay aswell seen as he lives in the city and doesnt see beaches often.

Dollymount is fab. You even get to go over a wooden bridge.

humberklog wrote: »
    Dollymount is fab. You even get to go over a wooden bridge.

I havent been out there in i dont know how many years,Is it looking good? :)

• Advertisement

Better than it ever has. The water is now clean (ish!), traffic is more restricted, there is a dedicated clean-up gang and with the rise in kite-surfing popularity the beach is a hive of activity. Volleyball nets are going up in the summer too apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Howth can make a lovely day out, take the dart, go for lunch, have a couple of pints, walk down the 2 piers or if youre feeling energenic walk up the hill and head to the summit pub, then on your way home grab a bag of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Newgrange also.

humberklog wrote: »
    Better than it ever has. The water is now clean (ish!), traffic is more restricted, there is a dedicated clean-up gang and with the rise in kite-surfing popularity the beach is a hive of activity. Volleyball nets are going up in the summer too apparently.

Thats great,I am glad to hear that :) Really wow will def be checking that one out.Love volley ball :D

Redpunto wrote: »
    Howth can make a lovely day out, take the dart, go for lunch, have a couple of pints, walk down the 2 piers or if youre feeling energenic walk up the hill and head to the summit pub, then on your way home grab a bag of chips.

Now totally forgot about howth :eek: how did i do that :o
    Yeah thats another great idea thanks alot :)

Woden wrote: »
    Newgrange also.

Thanks for all the great ideas and help guys :)

Advertisement