Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 7:22pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Requested poll, here it is. :)

If you are nother veg*n flavour ask to be added or vote other.

What's your flavour? 68 votes

lacto-ovo vegetarian (eat dairy and egg)
    1% 1 vote
    lacto vegetarian(eat dairy)
    44% 30 votes
    ovo vegetarian(eat egg)
    4% 3 votes
    vegan (no eggs, no dairy)
    4% 3 votes
    raw foodist (vegetarian)
    27% 19 votes
    raw foodist (vegan)
    0% 0 votes
    pescetarian
    2% 2 votes
    other
    8% 6 votes
    fruitarian
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Vegan, had a few slips into lacto land recently but I've gotten it out of my system (figuratively and literally :pac:) plant based food all the way for the forseeable future, yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Vegan also.
    Was lacto-ovo for ten years. Only went vegan about 6 months ago. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Vegan for two months. Lacto-ovo-veggie for 2 and a half years before that.

And you could have pur Fruitarian! I highly doubt there's any though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

vegan for 2 and a half years now. was lacto-ovo veggie for about 6 years before turning vegan.

If you are voting 'other' please post and let us all know! Of course this is a special diets forum... So other isn't really meant for all omnivores to tick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Lacto ovo vegetarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Another lacto ovo vegetarian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I clicked on the wrong one :(. I've been a lacto vegetarian for a good 3 months now :D (since I moved out, increase in autonomy and all that, gyorf).I might turn my hand to eggs, as of yet I am trapped in vacilation, so I stays away from 'em. Perhaps I'll have a look around here to help me decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Another lacto ovo vegetarian here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aoifums wrote: »
    Far more likely to be meat eating "vegetarians", esp. after reading that other thread where somebody posted.
    A dictionary might be the last thing they need. From the Oxford Compact English Dictionary:

"Vegetarian: A person who abstains from eating meat, and sometimes also fish, eggs and dairy products."

So apparently fish at least is OK as long as you choose the right dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Lacto Vegitarian.

reason for not eating eggs ...they could be fertile with life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

A regular vegie I am. What about meat eaters?? When I did the poll a while back I think around 40% of people that voted were meat eaters.

but this isn't "meat eaters and co." forum! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Aoifums wrote: »

I think that I qualify. I clicked Raw Food Vegan but I am a fruitarian. I eat fruit, seeds, nuts and greens. All of these can be consumed without harming the plant that gives them.
    I did not come to this way of eating because of the above definition. I have come to this way of eating gradually over many years because it was what my body wanted. It is just a coincidence that it meets the definition of a Fruitarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

I'm a lacto-ovo(freerange) pescetarian.

Wow thats a mouthful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Lacto-ovo but while in the past I'd pick up an egg mayonnaise sandwich, now I go for cheese instead because the eggs are harldly free-range.

Still can't avoid consuming battery eggs (e.g.mayonnaise) in other situations but I'm getting there.

Would love to turn vegan, and might do yet, but find it so hard in some instances.

For example, say you are out all day and want to pick up something quick to eat and you are really busy, what would you vegans do? Sandwiches are out of the question as they would likely contain cheese or eggs. So what do you do?

Dinner I could sort with planning, but when out and about, sometimes I find it really hard.

kraggy wrote: »
    Still can't avoid consuming battery eggs (e.g.mayonnaise) in other situations but I'm getting there.

Helmann's are free range now.

kraggy wrote:
    Would love to turn vegan, and might do yet, but find it so hard in some instances.

For example, say you are out all day and want to pick up something quick to eat and you are really busy, what would you vegans do?

The easiest answer to to always make lunch at home and bring it with you. If you are near a shop, fruit and water is the easiest snack. Crackers etc. can easily be bought to munch on. Otherwise it's chips, or a hell of a lot of questions in whichever restaurant you dare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

kraggy wrote: »

For example, say you are out all day and want to pick up something quick to eat and you are really busy, what would you vegans do? Sandwiches are out of the question as they would likely contain cheese or eggs. So what do you do?

Thats what i find really hard about being vegan, as sweet-rasmus said you have to bring food with you, that requires a lot of forward planning which can be bit of a pain. But if I am in a situation like that I try to look for some hummus and then get a salad sandwich to go with it, or get chips, or get a roll peanut butter and a banana to make my own sandwich, and some places will do vegan soup. Unplanned lunch can be done it just takes a little bit of creativity!

I put off going vegan for years cause I thought it would be too hard but now that I am vegan I'm annoyed I didn't make the change earlier cause it can be really easy at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

pescetarian at age 11, ovo-lacto at age 13 and vegan since I was 23 (25 now)

I'll never look back!I didn't realise there're so many vegans on this.:)

• Advertisement

Oh! A (vegan) friend of mine swears by a peanut butter and banana bagel when out and about! They sell them for much cheaper than the average bagel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Does bread bagels etc not have milk or butter or egg in them?

Wouldn't say so. Bread is just flour, water, yeast salt (plus whatever they add for bagels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

pescetarian at age 11, ovo-lacto at age 13 and vegan since I was 23 (25 now)

Do you mean you stopped eating eggs/milk at 13, or started back again? I thought it was generally accepted that pescetarians consumed eggs and dairy.

No lacto-ovo means you eat eggs and dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm pescetarian right now, but avoid eating fish as much as possible.
    My mum makes me eat it about once a month, it's hard enough for her to get around the fact that i dont eat other meats:(
    I hope to turn vegan someday, more than likely once i move out of home, which will hopefully be in september. I really wish they'd improve the amount of places which cater for vegans.

For vegans who want to bing s snack about with them, i recommend the quinoa bars which are sold in holland and barrets ( i think). They are yuummmmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I've been a strict vegan for about a year and vegetarian since I was eleven or twelve years old. Sometimes I go fairly long periods eating exclusively raw foods, but I wouldn't classify myself as a raw vegan.

I tried the fruitarian diet for the craic and for the first two weeks I felt great but then I started to feel weak and get headaches so I decided that it wasn't for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Mentalmiss wrote: »
    I think that I qualify. I clicked Raw Food Vegan but I am a fruitarian. I eat fruit, seeds, nuts and greens. All of these can be consumed without harming the plant that gives them.
    quote]

Wow. Fruitarians are fairly cool. I've only seen about three online.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Do you mean you stopped eating eggs/milk at 13, or started back again? I thought it was generally accepted that pescetarians consumed eggs and dairy.

Been ages since I was on, but to clarify. I gave up just red meat and chicken when I was 11, then I gave up fish at 13, Then I gave up dairy and eggs at 23. Bit of a gap there really, I loved cheese damn it.

Just had an organica vegan coconut bar:Dyum yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

After failed attempts as a teen.... am about 7 months full blown veggie. Borderline vegan.
    Mainly for health reasons.
    When I drank dairy milk.... I used to get spots and eczema. Now my skin is soft and...peachy ;)
    Anyone else notice health benefits like this?

I looooove to cook the most delicious recipes too:D

P.S. My username was created when I ate eggs...haha(oopsy) :D

P.P.S. I remember this really yummy raw food vegetarian cafe I stumbled upon in Arizona whilst travelling the states... if only we had such a yummy creative place like that here!

Advertisement