Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO??

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

bythewoods wrote: »
    That course sounds like great craic- there's about 7 hours a week :P

(My friend does a variation of it- PPES- but just Philosophy on its own sounds incredible. Think of all the time you'd have to go drinking!)
    Or to think Philosophically maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Heeheehee :D

don't get too cocky now:p:pac:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

So does anyone know the difference between the same degree being studied at different colleges apart from the obvious things. I plan on doing science in either UCD,Trinity or Maynooth. So what are the actual differences apart from points,class sizes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Futurism wrote: »
    So what are the actual differences apart from points,class sizes etc?
    Location? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

So does anyone know the difference between the same degree being studied at different colleges apart from the obvious things. I plan on doing science in either UCD,Trinity or Maynooth. So what are the actual differences apart from points,class sizes etc?
    Lecturers, hours, modules, the amount of years it takes to complete the degree, Erasmus opportunities, facilities etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

just changed mine

1. DN026 Economics and Finance
    2. TR081 Business, Economic and Social Studies
    3. MH401 Finance and Economics
    4. DT366 Accounting and Finance
    5. DN012 Arts
    6. CK101 Arts
    7. MH101 Arts
    8. GY101 Arts
    9. WD152 Visual Arts
    10. WD084 Accounting

still dunno what I want to do though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Not sure what the differences are really other than that Trinity's better :p

Nah, sure from what I've heard Science in UCD and Maynooth are very good. Best place to find out is in each uni's section on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wigsa

BComm and Chinese in UCD.

Not sure whether to go BA in International Business and Chinese in DCU as a second choice or Business/Russian
    or Economics/Russian as a second.

I'm set on doing Chinese but get the feeling that I might be wasting my time doing a BA in DCU when I could be getting a Bach. of Business in Trinity.

Anyone have an opinion to share on the issue?

wigsa wrote: »
    BComm and Chinese in UCD.

Not sure whether to go BA in International Business and Chinese in DCU as a second choice or Business/Russian
    or Economics/Russian as a second.

I'm set on doing Chinese but get the feeling that I might be wasting my time doing a BA in DCU when I could be getting a Bach. of Business in Trinity.

Anyone have an opinion to share on the issue?

U should pick the course u want. DCU bus. school is held in pretty high regard afaik. Don't just pick Trinity cause u think it's "better" and end up doin something u don't want to do.

I'd go with DCU as it seems u want to do Chinese. Employers will look at ur Degree, not what Uni u went to.

Edit: Last time I change this Bleedin thing.

1. TR087 Business Studies with Russian TCD
    2. TR211 Economics with Russian TCD
    3. TR611 Philosophy with Russian TCD
    4. TR089 Business Studies with Polish TCD
    5. DC149 International Bus. with Jap DCU
    6. TR081 B.E.S.S. TCD
    7. DC231 International Relations DCU
    8. DC155 Applied Language and C.S DCU
    9. DN019 Commerce with Spanish UCD
    10. DN018 Commerce with Italian UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Mr.S wrote: »
    If your up against someone with the same degree, but went to different uni's, then they would look at which uni was better..IE comparing trinity to DIT or something.
    Or they'd look at other things on your CV like work experience/skills/interests.

• Advertisement

U should pick the course u want. DCU bus. school is held in pretty high regard afaik. Don't just pick Trinity cause u think it's "better" and end up doin something u don't want to do.

I'd go with DCU as it seems u want to do Chinese. Employers will look at ur Degree, not what Uni u went to.

Edit: Last time I change this Bleedin thing.

1. TR087 Business Studies with Russian TCD
    2. TR211 Economics with Russian TCD
    3. TR611 Philosophy with Russian TCD
    4. TR089 Business Studies with Polish TCD
    5. DC149 International Bus. with Jap DCU
    6. TR081 B.E.S.S. TCD
    7. DC231 International Relations DCU
    8. DC155 Applied Language and C.S DCU
    9. DN019 Commerce with Spanish UCD
    10. DN018 Commerce with Italian UCD

Thanks for that,but why do you have business and Russian above economics and Russian?The economics one is considerably higher points isn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Thanks for that,but why do you have business and Russian above economics and Russian?The economics one is considerably higher points isn't it??
    Courses go in order of preference, not in order of points.

Then surely there's no point in putting in second choice down,as if he doesn't get his first he'll be miles off his second??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Then surely there's no point in putting in second choice down,as if he doesn't get his first he'll be miles off his second??

There's nothing to say the points can't change. Perhaps where there is a very large points difference, this wouldn't really apply, but I suppose there's always a chance. No harm having it down anyway.

I wasn't able to find a definite amount of points, it only said between 450 and 550 so I don't really know how much higher it is. On last yr, Bus with Rus was 410 so big enough dif but 2007 it was 425 (I think) so not such a big dif.

I do understand what ur sayin tho

Exactly

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I wasn't able to find a definite amount of points, it only said between 450 and 550 so I don't really know how much higher it is. On last yr, Bus with Rus was 410 so big enough dif but 2007 it was 425 (I think) so not such a big dif.

I do understand what ur sayin tho
    You can check the table!It's on the TCD website.Economics and Russian was 490 last year.You're sound though I'd say by looking at your choices,you're not gonna be disappointed.

Why Japanese btw?

I mean,as opposed to Chinese?

You can check the table!It's on the TCD website.Economics and Russian was 490 last year.You're sound though I'd say by looking at your choices,you're not gonna be disappointed.

Why Japanese btw?

I mean,as opposed to Chinese?

Chinese is a tonal language..... I'm sure u know what that means but if u don't the tone you say the word distinguishes it from other words.

For example the word for horse and mother is the same and the meaning depends on the tone u say the word. It would be too difficult for me and I would rather Russian (or Jap) anyway.

I find Japanese culture interesting but I really REALLY want Russian.

490 is way out of my range but u never know:o I didn't know u could check the points on tcd website. went on to qualifax but it was no good. Can u throw us up a link plz for Philosophy and Russian's pts.

Nice one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Chinese is a tonal language..... I'm sure u know what that means but if u don't the tone you say the word distinguishes it from other words.

For example the word for horse and mother is the same and the meaning depends on the tone u say the word. It would be too difficult for me and I would rather Russian (or Jap) anyway.

I find Japanese culture interesting but I really REALLY want Russian.

490 is way out of my range but u never know:o I didn't know u could check the points on tcd website. went on to qualifax but it was no good. Can u throw us up a link plz for Philosophy and Russian's pts.

Nice one.:)

Philosophy usually clocks in at 465-480 ish. Fell last year to 425 though.
    I presume that the points for Philosophy would be higher than Russian btw.

Philosophy usually clocks in at 465-480 ish. Fell last year to 425 though.
    I presume that the points for Philosophy would be higher than Russian btw.

It's Philosophy with Russian tho. All the courses I want fell last yr in Trinity, let's hope the same this yr or at least they stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It's Philosophy with Russian tho.

It's all the same once it's in TSM

• Advertisement

It's all the same once it's in TSM

So if Russian was 425 and philosophy was 450 I need 450 for the course?:confused:

So if Russian was 425 and philosophy was 450 I need 450 for the course?:confused:

That seems to be how it always works,so I presume it's the same with that particular combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 XRustyAssassinX

anyone elese doin the BN104 COURSE in blanch itb!!!!!!!

Know I am draggin up a real old thread but just wondered if everyone got what they wanted that year?

I did (got Business with Russian :D ) but have now withdrawn and I am applying again to DCU to do a different course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Anyone know where I can do any level 6/7 courses in either Psychology or Sociology?

For some reason I can't access qualifax, but I've got all my level 8's down so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Mr.S wrote: »
    If your up against someone with the same degree, but went to different uni's, then they would look at which uni was better..IE comparing trinity to DIT or something.

Wrong again. Architecture DIT vs UCD - DIT graduates have a higher employment rate within a year of graduation.

Look at the course, NOT the college.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement