Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Without reading through 11 pages of posts, did anyone else just put down random courses planning on changing it later on in the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

DanDan6562, check out the leaving cert Japanese papers for an idea. You will be able to do them after about a term in college. I found Japanese (LC) really hard, but if you really like it's just like any other language- with three new alphabets. Don't be put off by it, if you like it go for it- but if you're only slightly interested (not willing to work hard at it), then give it a miss. Same for most subjects, really :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

DanDan6562, check out the leaving cert Japanese papers for an idea. You will be able to do them after about a term in college. I found Japanese (LC) really hard, but if you really like it's just like any other language- with three new alphabets. Don't be put off by it, if you like it go for it- but if you're only slightly interested (not willing to work hard at it), then give it a miss. Same for most subjects, really :P.

No I'll work hard at it. Thanks for the info.

Is there really 3. Thought it was only 2

Leejo wrote: »
    Without reading through 11 pages of posts, did anyone else just put down random courses planning on changing it later on in the window?

Doubt that... not really a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Leejo wrote: »

Yup. Bring on May

why is it not a good idea btw, if were not looking for restricted entry courses, when why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

MrDrifter wrote: »
    Yup. Bring on May

why is it not a good idea btw, if were not looking for restricted entry courses, when why?

Exactly. Thought it was good idea myself considering I don't really know what I want to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Trinity German & English
    Trinity German & Film Studies
    Trinity German & Russian
    Trinity German & Italian
    Trinity German & Spanish
    DCU Journalism
    Trinity Business Studies & German
    UCD Modern Languages
    DCU Applied Languages & Intercutural Studies
    UCD Arts

:)

The first one is to keep parents happy as they felt my aspirations for 410 point GER/FILM wasn't large enough

oh and I have noticed nobody has ANY of my TSM choices on this thread yet!!!

Irish and English seems very popular one though seen it thrice or four times!!!

I love TSM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

TR292 French and history
    History on its own in trinity, can't remember the code!
    Then arts in all the colleges, can't remember what order!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Jammyc wrote: »
    Mine right now are...

Level 8's
    Added: Biomedical, Health and Life sciences UCD Not much hope of getting the points, but what harm of putting it there!
    DN008 Science UCD
    DC203 Science Education DCU
    DT204 Biomedical Science DIT

Level 6/7's
    DT212 Science DIT
    DT259 Biosciences DIT

All subject to change very very easily, Im so undecided, hence UCD Science being no.1. Get ta taste a bitta different things.
    UPDATE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

No I'll work hard at it. Thanks for the info.

Im currently doing internation business with german in UL so the lay out of the two courses are very similiar.

Granted Japanese would be a lot harder than German to study so I can't help you there but what I will tell you is that the help available for learning a language at University is top notch and much better than in the LC. You really get into the language and I think its a great way of learning it and you'll learn to love the language and culture.
    Plus there's erasmus and/or co-op so you'd get to spend at least a semester in Japan.

I think studying a language along with business really adds to the course.

My 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Trinity German & English
    Trinity German & Film Studies
    Trinity German & Russian
    Trinity German & Italian
    Trinity German & Spanish
    DCU Journalism
    Trinity Business Studies & German
    UCD Modern Languages
    DCU Applied Languages & Intercutural Studies
    UCD Arts

:)

The first one is to keep parents happy as they felt my aspirations for 410 point GER/FILM wasn't large enough

If German & Film studies is the course you would most like to do then for the
    love of god put it as your first choice, ignore your parents, its your life not theirs.

Also, spoken as someone who's been through the cao process twice and has two college years behind them no one gives a flying **** what you got in the leaving cert once you get into college. The points needed to get into a course don't dictate its difficulty or worthiness as a degree in the slightest, just its popularity.

Also to anyone thinking of going to UCD you can look at what modules you'll be studying here, https://myucd.ucd.ie/program/program_info.ezc, I'm sure the other main colleges have similar pages if other people will post them up.

One last piece of advice, research each of your courses like hell. I know far to many people who pretty much picked there courses on a whim or jst because the course sounded interesting but without them having any huge interest in the subject area. Big Mistake.

For example, biomedical engineering sounds fun, but would you do it if your were told it pretty much is a mechanical engineering course with some extra bits lashed on.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Hirigana (phoenetic, used for grammar terms mainly, and to explain some difficult kanji), Katakana (phoenetics, used for foreign words, like ピックヌック- pikkunikku- picnic), and kanji (pictoral). Good luck with it- I hope you enjoy it! I think I've a friend who wants to do a similar course.

I'm looking for Arts with Creative Writing in Galway. I really hope I get it, but if not I want to do the ordinary Arts course there. The subjects I want are Irish, Spanish, and either English or French (please no comments about 'you want to do IRISH?? Are you crazy????' Been hearing too much of them lately :P).

pljudge321 wrote: »
    If German & Film studies is the course you would most like to do then for the
    love of god put it as your first choice, ignore your parents, its your life not theirs.

Also, spoken as someone who's been through the cao process twice and has two college years behind them no one gives a flying **** what you got in the leaving cert once you get into college. The points needed to get into a course don't dictate its difficulty or worthiness as a degree in the slightest, just its popularity.

Also to anyone thinking of going to UCD you can look at what modules you'll be studying here, https://myucd.ucd.ie/program/program_info.ezc, I'm sure the other main colleges have similar pages if other people will post them up.

One last piece of advice, research each of your courses like hell. I know far to many people who pretty much picked there courses on a whim or jst because the course sounded interesting but without them having any huge interest in the subject area. Big Mistake.

For example, biomedical engineering sounds fun, but would you do it if your were told it pretty much is a mechanical engineering course with some extra bits lashed on.

Hope this helps.

yes it does. person, thanks for the concern! :)

1huge1 wrote: »
    Im currently doing internation business with german in UL so the lay out of the two courses are very similiar.

Granted Japanese would be a lot harder than German to study so I can't help you there but what I will tell you is that the help available for learning a language at University is top notch and much better than in the LC. You really get into the language and I think its a great way of learning it and you'll learn to love the language and culture.
    Plus there's erasmus and/or co-op so you'd get to spend at least a semester in Japan.

I think studying a language along with business really adds to the course.

My 2 cents

Tnks for the info... Ye dunno about the difficulty cause some people say it's not the hrdest language to learn (only 2 tenses according to wiki) and few irregular verbs.. but some say the opposite.

I want to do it anyway.. will put the work in

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Do you do higher english by the way? (don't mind me I' m a grammar freak)

you have an extra space between the ' and the m.

tut tut.....

so pretty much no one is going to UCC??

silly silly mortals.... its the s**t:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

1. Venture Management NUIM
    2. Business & Managent NUIM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Haven't contributed to this thread yet, so here they are:

1. BESS-TCD
    2. Law & Business- TCD
    3. Economics & Finance- UCD
    4. Business & Law- UCD
    5. Law- TCD
    6. Law- TCD
    7. Commerce- UCD
    8. Economics- UCD
    9. Engineering- TCD
    10. Maths- TCD

Now all i have to do is make sure i get the points!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

so far...
    communication studies - dcu
    journalism - dcu
    multimedia - dcu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

paddyb125 wrote: »
    so far...
    communication studies - dcu
    journalism - dcu
    multimedia - dcu

My best friend has the exact same :P :eek:

Mine looks like this...
    Core Year - NCAD
    Art & Design - Limerick
    Fine Art - DIT
    Visual Communications - DIT
    Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies - DCU
    I don't really intend on doing the last one though. My guidance teacher just told me to put down someting other than art :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Computer Science- TCD
    Computer Science- UCD
    Omnibus Science- TCD

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No-one going to LIT at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I've put Enterprise Computing in DCU as my no1 but I'm still not decided over to do that or Computer Applications. I might end up using the change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Irish and English seems very popular one though seen it thrice or four times!!!

Because you cant mix MI with anything else decent :)

I'd love Psychology & Modern Irish, but cant see that happening anywhere :(

I've put Enterprise Computing in DCU as my no1 but I'm still not decided over to do that or Computer Applications. I might end up using the change of mind.

I've actually just changed this in the last few minutes to MSISS in Trinity for my number 1. It's now

1. MSISS - trinity
    2. Business and Computing - trinity
    3. Enterprise Computing - dcu
    4. Computer applications - dcu

I'm not sure about business and computing. It's a new course but it sounds interesting. At the open day the guys there didn't really know a lot, which is understandable.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I hate the way you need higher level maths for MSISS :(

I don't know from what I've learned there's a lot of Maths. It is a degree in statistics after all.

edit: By that I mean statistics is part of the degree

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

1. Animation - Dun Laoghaire IADT
    2. English, Media & Cultural Studies - Dun Laoghaire IADT
    3. Irish & Journalism - DCU
    4. Media Studies - NUIM
    5. Arts - NUIM
    6. Film Studies/English Literature - Trinity

That's all. I'm also applying for Animation in Ballyfermot PLC. I don't even really want to do anything besides Animation...
    The closing date is today sometime, isn't it?

1st feburary 09 at 5pm and opens in may again or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

1. Business studies and Russian (TCD)
    2. Commerce (international) with Spanish (UCD)
    3. Arts (UCD)
    4. Economics/Russian (TCD)
    5. Commerce (UCD)
    6. International Business and Languages (French/Spanish) (DCU)
    7. International Business and Languages (French/German) (DCU)
    8. Science (UCD)
    9. Economics and Politics (UCD)
    10. Economics, Politics and Law (DCU)

Anyway, I'm hoping to get my first choice.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me when the change of mind thing opens?? Thanks in advance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement