Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

On the point of pharmacy, this sector has been hit reasonably hard like everything else, so it wont be like a few years ago where one could walk into an extremely well paying job after their pre reg year (which are also becoming more difficult to get in convienient locations).
    Also with the new course in UCC there are around 50-60 more pharmacists becoming fully qualified each year as of the end of 2008.
    Just some food for thought if the OP is going after pharmacy thinking it's a cushy number.
    Also the course is supposed to be extremely difficult, especially in the final 2 years, and in UCC the standard of lecturing has apperantly recieved mixed reviews, so far.

That said if the OP is going for pharmacy out of a genuine interest etc. then these are all factors which could be overcome, if its what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

ayumi wrote: »
    do you think that pharmacy will go down or up next year

Im in 5th year ,I have researched the points and its between 520-550.The max I can get is 520 AND thats impossible as Ill have to get 6 A1s,I do 3 ORD subjects,there the most needed subjects english irish maths.

Maths I want to do HL but teacher is crazy and stupid,got A in junior cert ORD level,We were divided into ORD and HL in 2nd yr and I was getting 75-85% in chirstmas and summer exams.I HAVE TRIED AND TRIED but Im sill not allowed to move,now I got 98% in chrs exam and class exams I get 90-100%

I just wanted to take out my angery :)

Go to your year head abd say you want to do honors. They can't stop you. I f they don't let you, do it outside school. In 6th yr you have to fill out a form saying what subjects your doing and what level so you can still do honors for the leaving even if you've been in the pass class.

I don't know what county your in but I'm sure the institute runs HL Maths classes so you can join them.

You could try taking up another subject like religion if that is possible. It's supposed to be easy enough (although there is still a lot of work involved). And why do you do pass English. Your better off doin honors and getting a D3 as it's the equivalent of a B1 in pass and you mite surprise yourself and get a higher grde

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

1huge1 wrote: »
    Wow so many of you Dubs have really no interest going anywhere besides Dublin, You do realise there are 3 other great universities outside the Pale, seriously UL, UCC and NUIG.

Just my opinion thinking that getting away and trying somewhere different is so much fun.

Who on earth can afford accommodation? Why would we leave Dublin if we have good universities on our doorsteps? (And way better nightlife and everything close by)

Have you culchies ever thought of staying down on the farm? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

do you think that pharmacy will go down or up next year

Im in 5th year ,I have researched the points and its between 520-550.The max I can get is 520 AND thats impossible as Ill have to get 6 A1s,I do 3 ORD subjects,there the most needed subjects english irish maths.

Maths I want to do HL but teacher is crazy and stupid,got A in junior cert ORD level,We were divided into ORD and HL in 2nd yr and I was getting 75-85% in chirstmas and summer exams.I HAVE TRIED AND TRIED but Im sill not allowed to move,now I got 98% in chrs exam and class exams I get 90-100%

I just wanted to take out my angery :)

Does your school let you do LCVP? i dont do it but most people in my year do and they say it isnt too hard! the highest grade is 70 points which is more than you get from an A1 in a pass subject :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Does your school let you do LCVP? i dont do it but most people in my year do and they say it isnt too hard! the highest grade is 70 points which is more than you get from an A1 in a pass subject :P:P

I chose not to do LCVP because, even though I had the right subjects, it was completely useless for me.
    As far as I'm aware the big Universities don't accept the points for it... just the ITs.
    So, if you want to do Pharmacy, it's not much use.

Anyway, ayumi, if you really want to do Pharmacy you could consider doing it outside of Ireland surely. Or, if that's not an option, you could do a course similar to it. The likes of Medicinal Chemistry in Trinity (~450 points iirc) or Analytical & Pharmaceutical Chemistry in CIT.
    Pharmaceutical Science in WIT as well. There's a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

1huge1 wrote: »
    Wow so many of you Dubs have really no interest going anywhere besides Dublin, You do realise there are 3 other great universities outside the Pale, seriously UL, UCC and NUIG.

Just my opinion thinking that getting away and trying somewhere different is so much fun.

There are huge costs. Plus if I was going to college away from home I'd probably go to a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

I dont think dere is lvp? in our scool,and the yr head is not going to solve dis its the "UNION OF MATHS TEACHERS",if I go and now like say next week she say as usual " You cant move as you missed sooooooooooo much of 5th yr HL maths".I asked since the started of the year,I was also asking to move from economics from sep,but they didnt allow me.

ALSO I DIDNT CHOOSE TO DO ORD MATHS ENGLISH IRISH ITS THE STUPID ................. TEACHERS
    I also found another course that does interest me in a way,Im thinking of doing genetics(human)?
    what do u think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

is that true about LCVP, that only the ITs accept it as points? all my friends who do are under the impression that it's accepted as points everywhere, one idiot in my year though you got the LCVP points as well as your 6 subjects :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ciarán_1

can any1 tell me what business studies and french is like in dit? or what business studies is like in dcu? i havent done business for the leaving cert but i did it for the junior cert..would that be a poblem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

is that true about LCVP, that only the ITs accept it as points? all my friends who do are under the impression that it's accepted as points everywhere, one idiot in my year though you got the LCVP points as well as your 6 subjects :pac:

Thats what my friends all think aswel...better go break the bad news :eek::eek: so you really cant use that 70 points as one of your 6 best subjects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's true. It's accepted in UL though, I think.
    Double check though...
    Thats what my friends all think aswel...better go break the bad news :eek::eek: so you really cant use that 70 points as one of your 6 best subjects?

No, you can include the 70 as one of your best subjects depending on where you're going like. It's just not accepted everywhere.

No it is accepted everywhere, NOT JUST IT's.

It's not as easy as you think and it is REALLY boring. Also it's near impossible to get 70 points in it, especially since level 8 institutions started accepting it. However it's worth doing if you do 3 pass subjects or feel you'll need the pionts.
    bythewoods wrote: »
    I chose not to do LCVP because, even though I had the right subjects, it was completely useless for me.
    As far as I'm aware the big Universities don't accept the points for it... just the ITs.
    So, if you want to do Pharmacy, it's not much use.

The big universities do accept it, also it will help you realise if you really want to do pharmacology as you do a weeks work experience.

Anyway, ayumi, if you really want to do Pharmacy you could consider doing it outside of Ireland surely. Or, if that's not an option, you could do a course similar to it. The likes of Medicinal Chemistry in Trinity (~450 points iirc) or Analytical & Pharmaceutical Chemistry in CIT.
    Pharmaceutical Science in WIT as well. There's a few.

You could apply to Universities in N. Ireland or there may be FETAC ways of entering it into a University.
    I dont think dere is lvp? in our scool,and the yr head is not going to solve dis its the "UNION OF MATHS TEACHERS",if I go and now like say next week she say as usual " You cant move as you missed sooooooooooo much of 5th yr HL maths".I asked since the started of the year,I was also asking to move from economics from sep,but they didnt allow me.

ALSO I DIDNT CHOOSE TO DO ORD MATHS ENGLISH IRISH ITS THE STUPID ................. TEACHERS
    I also found another course that does interest me in a way,Im thinking of doing genetics(human)?
    what do u think ?

TAKE IT UP OUTSIDE SCHOOL, DON'T LET THESE FOOLS HOLD YOU BACK.

What do you think? Why do it? Why not do it? It's your decision not ours. If your interested in doing it then do it. Remember that your still in 5th year and you'll probably change your mind on the course you want to do a no. of times.

ciarán_1 wrote: »
    can any1 tell me what business studies and french is like in dit? or what business studies is like in dcu? i havent done business for the leaving cert but i did it for the junior cert..would that be a poblem?

Don't think it would but having done at least 1 business subject (Economics or Accounting) would prob. be a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tea-spoon

lcvp is accepted in every uni in ireland as far as im aware..
    distinction is worth 70 pts, merit is worth 50pts and a pass is worth 30pts.

http://www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/PlcAltMathsEtcchart.PDF

correct me if im wrong but i think thats right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

anyone goin the physiotherapy route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

1. Arts - UCC

And that's it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mr.S wrote: »
    It wouldn't really matter, LC Business is much different then Business at College level.

Anyway, they teach it assuming that you know nothing about business when you first come in.
    Thats not entirely true, A basic knowledge of accounting would come in handy and yes im speaking from experience, but you will catch up after a while if you put in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Larkin501 wrote: »
    1. Arts - UCC

And that's it :p

Thats fair goin up by like a hudred points!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bstoran

anyone goin the physiotherapy route?
    id like to but theres no jobs at all so theres no point..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Thats fair goin up by like a hudred points!
    Anyone reckon Science Omnibus in UCD is gona go up much or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Jammyc wrote: »
    Anyone reckon Science Omnibus in UCD is gona go up much or wha?

No if anything I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped by another five points or so.

Tough course though so don't go into without having a real love for the subject, be it biology, physics or whatever.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    No if anything I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped by another five points or so.

Tough course though so don't go into without having a real love for the subject, be it biology, physics or whatever.
    Oh righty. Thankies!
    Yeah I def wanna do Biology in some shape or form, so reckon this is good for me, just a lil worried about points, Im aiming for around 360ish. So hopefully I'll be fine. :D

On the CAO online, is it me or is there suddenly a blank space where your exam number should be? Should this have been there when I was filling it out? I cant put it in now, do I enter it in May?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

bstoran wrote: »
    So your able to predict the jobs market for that sector in 4 or so years, thats an impressive skill you have there.

On the CAO online, is it me or is there suddenly a blank space where your exam number should be? Should this have been there when I was filling it out? I cant put it in now, do I enter it in May?

Probly because it is closed for the time being so people can't change any info.

bstoran wrote: »

There's no jobs now but there mite be in 4 years.

Probly because it is closed for the time being so people can't change any info.
    Yeah I know that, but has it always been there?

Yeah I know that, but has it always been there?

No nothing about an exam no. has ever been there, it's your CAO no. and they're different things.

• Advertisement

No nothing about an exam no. has ever been there, it's your CAO no. and they're different things.
    Qualifications and Assessment Section (stored on the CAO computer)
    Irish Leaving Certificate Exams (1985-2009):
    Year Exam No.

Well thats whats at the end of my application, but sure doesn matter. Im sure if it was important theyd have mailed me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement