Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony KDL32W4000 - Full HD - €799 in Arnotts

• 03-01-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

I was roaming around in Arnotts today and saw that KDL32W4000 was reduced to €799 from €899.

Considering its €999 in Sony Centres and £699 in Currys in North, I think its a good price if anyone is looking for one and not willing to go North.

I am not sure how long the offer will last. Nothing was written on this tv but on some of them Weekend Special was written.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yea.. price seems unbeatable :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Thats 32U4000 and this is KDL32W4000 (Full HD 1080P)

No comparision really.

More info

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Tesco one is a different tv, This one is full hd, and is 699 up the north..

So.. 799 would be a decent price for it in a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin.. Id still get it from the north, 750 might tempt me to buy it in a shop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yea.. price seems unbeatable :P

Genius!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

coldfire1x wrote: »

No comparision really.

If you're getting a tv under 40" then there is absolutely no point in getting a 1080p set. At that size the human eye can perceive the difference between the two standards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you're getting a tv under 40" then there is absolutely no point in getting a 1080p set. At that size the human eye can perceive the difference between the two standards.

In most cases the difference won't be noticeable but not in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I agree, at that size the human eye can see the difference between the two standards.

In case you come back with "that was a typo, I meant cannot", then there are countless threads on Boards, AVForums, AVSForums and numerous other sites stating that users can and do see the differences on 720p and 1080p 32" LCD TVs with regard to high definition content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I agree, at that size the human eye can see the difference between the two standards.

In case you come back with "that was a typo, I meant cannot", then there are countless threads on Boards, AVForums, AVSForums and numerous other sites stating that users can and do see the differences on 720p and 1080p 32" LCD TVs with regard to high definition content.

It's more to do with other factors than resolution alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I was roaming around in Arnotts today and saw that KDL32W4000 was reduced to €799 from €899.

Considering its €999 in Sony Centres and £699 in Currys in North, I think its a good price if anyone is looking for one and not willing to go North.

I am not sure how long the offer will last. Nothing was written on this tv but on some of them Weekend Special was written.

I think that this model is priced 599 pounds in Richer Sounds in North.
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-KDL32W400

you can still save few bob by travelling to Belfast or contacting them to arrange delivery to the south(it costs 20 yoyos me thinks) .
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420124
    good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

really depends on what distance your viewing from

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No comparision really.

More info
    My bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

At the right viewing distance, The eye can not tell the difference between 1080p and 720p.. on a screen size under 40 inch.

The differences people will see, are to do with the 1080p usually being in a newer tech set and having better picture processing, better blacks etc..

Biologically speaking, its impossible for your eye to see more "dots per inch" on a 32inch screen from 1m + away, than 720p. Your eyes just cant do it.

Id still pay 100 quid extra for a 1080p set tho, seen as it will more than likely have better image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

At the right viewing distance, The eye can not tell the difference between 1080p and 720p.. on a screen size under 40 inch.

The differences people will see, are to do with the 1080p usually being in a newer tech set and having better picture processing, better blacks etc..

Biologically speaking, its impossible for your eye to see more "dots per inch" on a 32inch screen from 1m + away, than 720p. Your eyes just cant do it.

Id still pay 100 quid extra for a 1080p set tho, seen as it will more than likely have better image.

You are entitled to your opinion, however, I disagree. If you had comparable TVs from the same manufacturer with the only difference being resolution, then it would clearly be a case of a straight comparison between the two, and not a fact of older versus newer tech, as new HD Ready TVs are still being made in the 32" range. I stand by the fact that there is a noticeable and discernible difference between a HD Ready and a Full HD 32" TV when viewing HD content.

Getting back to the OP. €799 is a great deal for a TV that is currently one of the best, if not the best, 32" TV on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

We already have had so many discussions here in different threads about 1080p resolution on 32".

For me its a matter of preference. I already have a 720p 32" inch telly. So if I will look for upgrade then it has to be a 1080p, no matter what people tell it otherwise. Again the prices are coming down. If you can afford the new technology at a resonable price then why not??? It used to be more than 1k mark for 1080p.

Sony 32W4000 is one of the best available in 32" size as Rsaeire said.

Advertisement