Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Isreal/ Palestine fallout.

Options
  • 03-01-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭

just putting aside the legitimency of Isreal's attack on the Gaza strip, how will this affect the middle-east for months and years to come? somehow, i don't see the palestiians thanking Isreal for taking care of Hammas. would this just escalate the problem or is there a peaceful outcome?
    thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I can see Iran getting involved in this in the near future and oil prices rocketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Increase on terror attacks on israel

Sucide bombings, Hijackings,

All the usual activites asscioated with muslim terrorists and normaly id despise that but i fell they are bringing it upon themselves

Whats the saying ' you've made the bed no lie in it '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Theres already one thread on this, and Im not trying to "back seat mod" or anything, but its hard enough to keep up with one thread when theres so many people posting on it, never mind two.

The other ones here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

turgon wrote: »
    Theres already one thread on this, and Im not trying to "back seat mod" or anything, but its hard enough to keep up with one thread when theres so many people posting on it, never mind two.

The other ones here.

The other thread is much more in the nature of a rant. The OP here is looking for more reasonable responses.

I don't think there can be any sort of peace in the immediate future. I could see us going back to the middle east of 42 years ago with all efforts to resolve the situation in the meantime being futile. The bombings are one thing, but ground troops are much worse from a symbolic point of view. I would expect strong diplomatic responses from Israel's neighbours with the international community standing still. Bombings in Israel will increase, the numbers killed in the Palestinian territories will increase. In short, the whole situation will get much murkier with even less hope of peace.

What will be interesting is how (if) Obama deals with the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Dont forget theres not a lot Obama can do right now, its how he deals with it in the future.
    With Hamas gone Fatah have said there ready to step in so that would bring Immediete peace into the ares, Hopefully the peace process will be back on track and a two state solution can be implemented.
    But Iran will try everything in its power to stop that also as Hamas are fundamentalists it could open new fronts elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Hamas brought this on the gaza strip by breaking the ceasefire. While i do think the israeli response is too much, hamas are to blame for provoking them.

If hamas really cared about the palestinians in gaza they wouldnt have fired rockets into israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Dont forget theres not a lot Obama can do right now, its how he deals with it in the future.
    With Hamas gone Fatah have said there ready to step in so that would bring Immediete peace into the ares, Hopefully the peace process will be back on track and a two state solution can be implemented.
    But Iran will try everything in its power to stop that also as Hamas are fundamentalists it could open new fronts elsewhere.

haha .. so its Iran that is trying to stop the two state solution is it?! Hmmm .. where did I get the idea that Israel is an aggresive expansionist state that has being consistentley sabotaging peace talks for decades. I must have got that crazy idea from books .. Maybe I should stop reading them and listen to the Israeli propoganda machine .. then I might have enlightened opinions such as yours!

I know you have vested interest in this saga as your location tag suggests you are an isreali or have some connection to the country .. but please try and get your head out of your a** and see this objectively. You know its ok to criticize a country/government you are from. Just because you are Irish doesnt mean you have be a Sinn Fein supporting nationalist .. or you have to support the War on Terror if you are American.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Hamas brought this on the gaza strip by breaking the ceasefire. While i do think the israeli response is too much, hamas are to blame for provoking them.

If hamas really cared about the palestinians in gaza they wouldnt have fired rockets into israel.

Have you been to Gaza!? Try living in an overcrowded prison where you are blockaded by land and by sea .. US backed Israel on one side and the US backed dictarorship of Hosni Mubarak on the other side in Egypt. What comes in and out including energy is by Israels leave .. they can stop aid including food and medicine getting through when they want and they routinely turn the water and the power off. Living conditions are atrocious and beyond the comprehension of a regular person to understand.

Conditions such as these are a breeding ground for extremism .. poverty, injustice and ignorance. Hamas exsist as the result of years of oppression and injustice that Palestinians have had to put up with. They are so blind with hate that they are willing to blow themselves up!

Hamas provide a convenient excuse for Israel to continue the genocide and land grab that has been ongoing for decades. It allows them to paint the palestinians as the agressors and it diverts the worlds attention from the colonization of the West Bank. Hamas exist because Israel wants them to exist .. who cares if a couple of civilians get killed every year ... thats a small price to pay when you gain a country.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It could have been an interesting discussion, but it's already turning into a clone of the other one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement