Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops can't pick up wireless signal upstairs

Options
  • 03-01-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hey guys and girls,

Really need your help with this one.

Originally had a Netgear DG834GT modem router. Signal range isn't the best and seeing as how people in my house bought a laptop, we knew that we'd need to get a better router.

Went to PC World yesterday and bought another Netgear, this time the DG834N. Took it home, set it up and the signal could be picked up upstairs but then all of a sudden it'd drop and Windows wouldn't find the network (using a built-in wireless adapter, btw).

Right, so I head back up today and exchange it for the Belkin N1 Vision. Same problem. Anybody have any suggestions at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Pegasus15 wrote: »
    Hey guys and girls,

Really need your help with this one.

Originally had a Netgear DG834GT modem router. Signal range isn't the best and seeing as how people in my house bought a laptop, we knew that we'd need to get a better router.

Went to PC World yesterday and bought another Netgear, this time the DG834N. Took it home, set it up and the signal could be picked up upstairs but then all of a sudden it'd drop and Windows wouldn't find the network (using a built-in wireless adapter, btw).

Right, so I head back up today and exchange it for the Belkin N1 Vision. Same problem. Anybody have any suggestions at all?

Well the 'n' will make no difference unless you have a laptop with an 'n' card are there any other wireless devices in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

dub45 wrote: »
    Well the 'n' will make no difference unless you have a laptop with an 'n' card are there any other wireless devices in the house?

Thanks for the reply. The DG834N is a RangeMax Next and hence I assumed the coverage would be much, much better. Which it is, just not good enough.

The problem with buying a "n" adapter is that we'd need two, one for each of the laptops and this would be pretty expensive, right?

As for other wireless devices, yes. It's beside a Wii, Xbox 360 (hardwired in though), PS3, Sky+ box (not sure if this really affects it or not), TV and a DVD Recorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Do you have underfloor heating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Hogzy wrote: »
    Do you have underfloor heating?

No, we don't.

It might be useful to point out that the Router is located in the extension of the house, and is pretty far away from where I need to get the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Maybe the issue is with the laptop's card rather than the router? I know my last notebook kept dropping the connection with my router, it wasn't until I got a new notebook and the problem disappeared that I found that that was the problem. Maybe updating the drivers on your laptops might help, there are also different settings that can be changed to try and improve reception.

Also does the connection drop as often with wireless security disabled then with it on? I know an old crappy router of mine had an issue with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement