Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilling sleeve for wine bottles

Options
  • 03-01-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Evening all, I'm looking to get one of those sleeves you put in the freezer and then put around a nice bottle of cava to keep it chilled while I work my way through the bottle. Anyone know where's the best place to go? Not looking to spend huge money. No more than ten euro to be honest. Also preferably not online.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Lidl have them I think, not sure on the price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

No way! Lidl? I'm in there all the time (credit crunch and all that) and i've never seen them. I'll definitely have a look tomorrow though. Thanks for that. Just in case Lidl don't have them if anyone else knows where I can get one let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TKMax
    Maybe Tescos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

I should have just nicked the one we found in the freezer in the spanish villa over christmas! ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Any decent wine store will also have them. I've a couple of the 'screwpull' brand and they're decent.

576785.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you have a freezer it is best kept full, this means when you open it up the air does not all escape and be replaced and have to be cooled. This is more important with upright freezers.

If you have room you can keep a 2L of water with salt in it, this should not freeze if it has enough salt. Now this can be used to chill a bottle or can in no time at all. You put the bottle in a bigger container, this could be a 2L bottle with the top chopped off. Now pour the cold salt water into it. The direct contact means heat transfer occurs rapidly. This is how those quick wine chillers in supermarkets work. Direct contact is the key.

A bottle in between 2 bags of frozen peas also offers pretty good contact.

Just rinse the salt off the cans/bottles after. The salt water can be added back in and rechilled over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Most major off license stock them as well as the likes of Dunnes Stores, Superquinn, tesco

Advertisement