Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most expensive countires to buy cars in?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

What country is the most expensive to buy cars in? It cant be a country like North Korea where dealerships probably dont exist!

Is Ireland the most expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

There are many countries where cars are far more expensive. I don't think Ireland would even be in the top 10.

Denmark for example has a 100% import Tax on cars. Other very expensive countries are Vietnam and Singapore (Merc E Class more then 100K).

I think Singapore is the most expensive. A base C180 is almost 70K Euro.

http://e-services.mercedes-benz.com/dsc_sg/Dispatcher.jam?businessCase=CCr&&retailerID=11315&dsc_locale=en_sg&ClassId=WS4&ClassGroupId=1&BodyId=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ireland would probably scrape into the bottom of the top 5 most expensive in the EU, but nowhere near the most expensive in the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would've thought Denmark was, certainly within Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ireland,pre tax at least is actually one of the cheapest but the gap between countries within the eu is decreasing. Did my thesis on this exact topic. From what i vaguely remember-it was a rush job-denmarks taxes were frightening. Ill dig a copy up in the morning if i can and take a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Merc C200K is US$63k in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

BMW x5 = $130000 in Iran

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

steppen wrote: »
    BMW x5 = $130000 in Iran

Do BMW have dealerships in Iran?

Never mind i just googled it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

what about australia? what are taxes like there?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Hogzy wrote: »
    Do BMW have dealerships in Iran?

Never mind i just googled it :P

sure, was in a mercedes one there....a friend of mine was picking up a new A Class, set him back about 70k USD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Egypt is very expensive for anything imported. So much so that Mercedes & BMW went and built a factory there so more would be sold while also getting tasty grants to set up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

steppen wrote: »
    sure, was in a mercedes one there....a friend of mine was picking up a new A Class, set him back about 70k USD

Jaysus, i hope it was made of gold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The on the road price is only half of it. What about annual road tax and duty on fuel? An overall cost of ownership.

Petrol seems to have been cheaper in Ireland than in all other Eurozone countries I have been to, with the exception of Luxembourg.

Is petrol cheaper in UK than ROI now at current exchange rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

The on the road price is only half of it. What about annual road tax and duty on fuel? An overall cost of ownership.

Petrol seems to have been cheaper in Ireland than in all other Eurozone countries I have been to, with the exception of Luxembourg.

Is petrol cheaper in UK than ROI now at current exchange rate?

Yes. All Asda petrol stations and some others are selling petrol at 82.9p/litre. I haven't seen anywhere over 90p in ages. Diesel is about 94p however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

DubDani wrote: »

From talking to a consultant that popped into my workplace for a few days work a few motnhs ago, he lived in Singapor for several years, you have to buy a permit from the gov there that allows you to buy a car in the first place! According to him they were auctioned off every month and cost you an arm and a leg before you even bought the car!

Had a look here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_in_Singapore#Buying_a_car_in_Singapore

"New car buyers are required to buy a Certificate of Entitlement. The term "bidding" is often used but, in practice, new car dealers assist in the process. The fee of each sucessfully obtained COE is added on the costs of a new car based on engine size (usually lower for cars with 1600cc engine or lower, and higher vice versa). COE's for car cost approximately S$14,000 to S$16,000 but the exact amount changes several times a year. The COE is valid for 10 years. There are provisions for a rebate of the COE if the car is scrapped before 10 years. The COE costs has declined in recent years. The April 2001 COE (Category B: 1601 cc engine and larger) was S$34,930 [12] The April 2007 COE for Category B was $15,989."

Seemingly because the public transport is so good there and taxis are cheap, most people get by very well without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Isn't a Fiat Panda in Vietnam 15 million??:P

Advertisement