Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities in Castlebar

Options
  • 03-01-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Anyone know of any groups or activities that you can join in Castlebar to meet new people? Book clubs, drama groups, arty things rather than sporty things? Or even if these groups exist in Westport, it's pretty hard to meet new people (friends) in a small town me reckins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

What age are you(approx.)? male/female? and are you into sports at all, like cycling or swimming. Are you into reading, etc.

I do know that there's an art club in westport but i'll have to find out more and come back to you on it?

By telling us this, you'll be allowing us to suggest more tailored activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I'm female late twenties. Yeah book clubs or even swimming clubs. Do you know if there are book clubs in Castlebar?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You could try looking around http://www.castlebar.ie/ as it tends to be kept pretty up to date with what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Hey detoxkid! I feel your pain! :mad:
    Seems the only thing to do in castlebar is go to the pub which one can get sick of pretty quickly.
    I have seen the book club meetings when I used to study in the library. Seems to be a mixed age group. See here.
    Do you play a musical instrument. You could check out the Mayo Concert Orchestra.
    And theres aqua aerobics in the castlebar swimming pool, tuesday and thursday from a quarter to eight until half eight.
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Try asking in the linenhall about Arty stuff, the staff are very friendly and obliging. For sports try http://www.mayosports.ie/SportsDirectory/. Goin to the Volleyball in Breaffy myself. Also http://www.learntodance.ie/new/category/venues/north-west/?orderby=title&order=ASC. Did a class with these before Christmas, Very professional Teachers and great crack. Also Davitt college run Evening Courses starting in February, look out in the Connaught Telegraph over the coming weeks for the full list. I agree, there isnt much to do in the evenings but there is much more on offer now than there was 2-3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Thanks guys, thats really helpful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

another activity in castlebar is claiming 41k in independent expenses even when you are a member of FF.

only kidding:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

like Detoxkid im sick of the pub scene in castlebar,
    I do the gym and some soccer but is there anything to do where one can meet the opposite sex without goin out and getting plastered.....

PS...Dont like book clubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Tag rugby every tues at the rugby club at 7pm. mixed and not serious, good social side to it as well. newbies more than welcome.

sounds good,but iv soccer on a tues evenin. mite give it a go at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

Any interest in singing? There are a number of choirs you could join in Mayo for all tastes! Check out the AOIC website.
    The Orchestra always welcomes new instrumentalists if you can play a musical instrument. Or if you'd like to learn the Mayo School of Music runs lessons.
    Funky Fitness is good. They have a website with a number of different types of classes all around Mayo.
    GMIT also have night classes in various things as well as Mayo VEC.
    There's an irish speaking group that meet up to speak in Irish in Ballina and in Castlebar.
    Maybe too late for this years productions but next year: Ballinrobe Musical Soc, Claremorris Musical Soc, Castlebar Pantomine, Drama Group in Westport....
    Hope that's given you a few ideas!

cheers pipty,,,i usta paly a few tunes on da fiddle but im sick of da irish music...also tinkin bout brushin up on da gaeilge....thanks again

Advertisement