Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions

• 03-01-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

Have anyone studied at the finance and economics program? What's it like? I'm trying to decide where to study this fall, and that's an option

I heard someone say it's good, like that it's easy to find a (well-payed) job afterwards. Any other opinions?:)

Btw, what about the living costs? maybe I should start a new thread about that, I'm just too lazy;) Since maynooth is pretty small (10k inhabitants or something), that should make the living costs pretty low I guess?

/John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hi john, you were asking similar questions about galway before yes? If its ok, I don't know anything about the course, but I can make some comparisions ito living arrangements. Maynooth is as you mentioned a small town, and rent is quite a bit cheaper than Galway for the most part. There is a good bit of on campus accommodation as well (much more than Galway, which isn't really on campus) which is very handy imo. There isn't that much to the town itself, you'll be able to get all your groceries in Lidl or Aldi if you want which keeps the costs down. All the main stuff is close to campus, but there are masses of housing estates that can be quite far out from the uni, although all within walking distance (if you put in the leg work). Dublin is close enough by train or bus so its not as if you can't go somewhere bigger if you want at the weekends. Remember though in general Ireland is more expensive than a lot of other countries, so no matter where you go it probably won't seem cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Yep, I asked similar questions about Galway (and Limerick/Dublin too btw, can't make up my mind:P).

I noticed rent seemed cheaper, though I've only checked on campus. Seems to have pretty high quality for a nice price.

I'm not that kind of person who parties a lot, so I think I'll do fine with the groceries;). Are there any student residences off campus? Are they better?

/John G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Thank you. any approximation about the living costs? I'm not partying, so not much "social" costs for me. on the other side I fear my grocery budget would have to be bigger than for most of students.

/John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hylandrecovery

The on campus accomodation is usually taken by 1st yrs.

There are four estates all in a row just up from a side entrance to the college- Some Estate houses are rented out to groups of students, some are owner lived in with available rooms let out to students. Same to Private houses not in estates.

The rate of rent is usually in line with the Campus Accomodation guidelines on rent.

Aldi is across the road from the College, dunnes stores is on the doorstep too (it's part of manor mills shopping centre, not a lot in it easons, click, few clothes shops, barber etc etc)

Tesco is the other side of the town. If you were living in Kingsbury, Greenfield, Maynooth Park, you have Lidl, Centra and Supervalu near you.

The Train Station is a handy walk same as the Bus Eireann bus stop. The Dublin bus stops are dotted in handy locations for access to the city.

Moyglare meadows estate is right beside the college side entrance, then short 5min walk up from that is Moyglare Village.

We rent out our spare rooms to Students and never have problems with gettin some for the reason we are near the college, Aldi, and Dunnes Stores and it only takes me 15min to walk from the house to the Main Street.

• Advertisement

Thanks hyland:) Still waiting for an answer about the living cost, would be great to know (and yes, I have tried to search in the forums).

/John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

I did the single honours degree in Economics in NUIM, which means taking nearly / all the Econ options and some maths / finance / accounting.
    I thought the course was challenging and interesting, very worth while.
    They have since added new streams and venture management and accounting degrees. I'm not so well up on these. I found the lecturers to
    be very approachable. The work load got a bit heavy at times, but that's probably because I left stuff to the last minute a lot.
    One thing that really appealed was the atmosphere. Everyone about is 'sound enough'. The campus and town are big enough to be
    interesting but small enough to have a 'community' feel. There's always a familiar face. I'd recommend visiting the careers office and
    accommodation office there and, of course, any open days! Have a look round the town for yourself, it's not huge! I stayed on there for the Masters too.
    Best of luck.

Oh, that's good news:) I'm in for finance and economics, seems to be a new program... or, I don't know, I can't find it in the CAO list:( do you apply to the finance program? that program has the same CAO numberas finance and economics is supposed to have.

Sorry for nagging... but what about the living costs?:)
    /John

86 - 100 euro per wk for a single room, 80 - 90 euro p/w for twin room, 100-120 p/w for double room in most places.

That's the rent price including bills for self catering in a family home (some even allow ya to use their wireless internet free as well).

The on campus rent rates are on the nui maynooth website!

As for the rest of the living cost only you know what ya consume!!

Well, I bet I'm the only one who know what I'll consume, but I don't know the prices;) That's the problem, so... what's the average overall spending per month?:)

/John

• Advertisement

well then ask your ma for the weekly shopping receipt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Coming to Maynooth and not interested in the social scene. I don't see you bonding with your classmates in that case so :D

Well my mother doesn't even live in Ireland, so how could that help?

Leixlip, I think I'll do just fine, thank you.

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 24 monsieur bob

hi there,im studying finance and accounting at the moment if that is any help to you,there's a strong emphasis on both macro and micro economics in the course... feel free to ask any questions that i'll answer as best i can. :)

when it comes to living costs im not 100% certain because i commute myself but i know that my friends that share a house off campus pay €90 per week without gas/electricity etc. its pretty cheap by comparison if thats any help :D

Thank you bob, I sent you a PM:) How big are the classes (number of students)?

What about food? Clothes? How much do you all together have to spend in a month to have a decent life? The reason I can't just take my mum's shopping list as someone suggested is that I'm not irish:(

/John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

€50 a week for food.

Jeans around the €50 mark, Jackets €60, Jumpers €30, tshirt €5 to €25.
    Wendero wrote: »
    Oh, that's good news:) I'm in for finance and economics, seems to be a new program... or, I don't know, I can't find it in the CAO list:( do you apply to the finance program? that program has the same CAO numberas finance and economics is supposed to have.
    /John

It looks like you want to pick Arts on your CAO, you can do Finance and Economics as part of Arts. The pure Finance course has Economic modules in it too. Class size for Finance is maybe (pure guess) 200 but that gets lower every year as more options become available. Not that it makes a difference.

hm, doesn't sound like very high living costs. Rent is about 450 per month, food 200, clothes 50 (my consumption is low). Any other costs?

/John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Alcohol: +€500.

haha, I'm not drinking that much:P

Who the **** pays 50 euro for jeans?? :eek: A student that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

You can! In sales in River Island or Top Man.

Eh, actually I meant who pays that much! Wouldn't pay more than 30 euro for a pair of jeans

Don't worry, I'm not spending very much on clothes (the number of times I've bought clothes myself could be counted on one hand). What I meant was that, buying one thing per month seems normal (not that I know...) if that's a pair of jeans, and a pair of jeans costs 50, then I'll spend 50.

/John

Advertisement