Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing interior doors

Options
  • 03-01-2009 10:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a few doors replaced in the house,primarily for asthetic reasons.I saw some nice doors in b&q for about 40 euro each.Are these a good buy?
    Also how much would a carpenter charge to hang the doors,and would he be able to fit handles etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Pro carpenter €70 per door in the good ole days nowadays prob be cheaper where abouts are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ji wrote: »
    Pro carpenter €70 per door in the good ole days nowadays prob be cheaper where abouts are you?

Dublin northside.
    Does that include handles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Go to Brooks for a better door B&Q are not the best IMO and 70 is about right and it will not include handles 70 or a bit less would be for fitting only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    Go to Brooks for a better door B&Q are not the best IMO and 70 is about right and it will not include handles 70 or a bit less would be for fitting only

Degsy's question is exactly what I was going to ask!

Are things quiet enough that I'd find a carpenter to hang a single door? I'm really just interested in replacing a single damaged door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Brooks €70 red deal mortice tenon joints (better joint)
    Worth getting a sprayed finish to save you varnishing it.

Hinges €10 plus, lock €6 -15 approx, handles €15 -40 a pair.

Aldi handles €10 a pair this thursday - very good quality - German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jumbojox

I am also planning to replace internal doors, one issue I have is that the frames have shrunk. In the worst case the door no longer closes properly and there are big gaps between the door stops and the door.

What would be involved in fixing this issue?

For example could it be ignored and worked around by a good carpenter when hanging new doors or might it require a new frame and some touch up plastering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i charged 80 euro not so long ago.

now :50 euro a door.

there is a fare amount of work in hanging and locking it. If its old frames then even more time is needed.

Advertisement