Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Demons (ITV)

• 03-01-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watch this new show on ITV tonight? A bit of a mess, I thought. Luke Van Helsing (no, really) is a descendent of Abraham Van Helsing, and finds out that he is the latest in a line of demon hunters.

I was a bit optimistic about this because Philip Glenister and Mackenzie Crook were in it. Glenister had a bizarre accent (supposed to be American, maybe?) and there was no sign of the gene genie in his character at all. I know its not fair to typecast him, but he wasn't a fun or interesting character at all.

Mackenzie Crook was a bit better, sporting a bizarre fake nose, but at least he was hamming it up and making the most of the role.

Some dodgy CGI monsters mixed with humans in masks and ropey raygun special effects didn't help things. The promo for next week looks a bit better than this weeks, so it might get better.

Anyone else watch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Mr E wrote: »
    Anyone watch this new show on ITV tonight? A bit of a mess, I thought. Luke Van Helsing (no, really) is a descendent of Abraham Van Helsing, and finds out that he is the latest in a line of demon hunters.

I was a bit optimistic about this because Philip Glenister and Mackenzie Crook were in it. Glenister had a bizarre accent (supposed to be American, maybe?) and there was no sign of the gene genie in his character at all. I know its not fair to typecast him, but he wasn't a fun or interesting character at all.

Mackenzie Crook was a bit better, sporting a bizarre fake nose, but at least he was hamming it up and making the most of the role.

Some dodgy CGI monsters mixed with humans in masks and ropey raygun special effects didn't help things. The promo for next week looks a bit better than this weeks, so it might get better.

Anyone else watch?

Had all intentions in watching this but only saw the last 10-15 minutes.

Will watch it next week. It would be good to see if ITV can make a good programme for Saturday evenings instead of family fortune and who wants to be a millionaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I watched it and your man from life on mars - his accent was verging on laughable :p Also hard to decipher what he was saying at times. I like him though.
    Ah it was alright but the girl Ruby is a very annoying character. I was hoping she would be killed and the young lad would be filled with vengeance - that would have made it juicier.
    Not too impressed with the blind woman side kick (the fact that I cant remember many of their names says a lot about my overall interest!) Crook was good as you'd expect.
    I'd watch it again, but only if the was nothing else on. :D

Watching it now and while it's far from the best thing on tv it's entertaining enough for 11 o clock on a Sunday morning. My only real complaint is Glenister, his accent is dreadful.

Had they wanted an American in the main role then why did th ey now cast an American actor rather than have one of English televisions finest put on the American equivelent of Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

About to watch now. Most of the reviews I've seen have bene poor. Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It was a bit of mess I thought but maybe now that they've got all the exposition stuff out of the way, it might improve. Glenister's accent is appalling though - I couldn't believe it when he started talking. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone watch the second episode? Did it improve over the 1st?

I didn't even bother with the first after reading the horrific reviews.

Advertisement