Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling Gaps in Precast

• 03-01-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I have to fill the gaps in between the precast slabs on my first floor and was wondering what is the best way to do it. I am putting 30mm of insulation on them, covering them with plastic then putting the ufh and pipes down and then 60 mm of a screed. I was wondering could I fill the gaps that do not go all the way through with gravel and then fill the other ones with cement. Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

rebellad wrote: »
    I was wondering could I fill the gaps that do not go all the way through with gravel and then fill the other ones with cement.

What gaps would you fill with grave?
    Why not use concrete?
    (Even if its mixed on site there isn't a huge cost difference between gravel and conc!)

Do you really need insulation in a first floor slab?

A precast slab has been designed and manufacturered to suit your particular house, by an Engineer at the factory. I think you should contact the manufacturer and follow their advice / specifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

rebellad wrote: »
    I have to fill the gaps in between the precast slabs on my first floor and was wondering what is the best way to do it. I am putting 30mm of insulation on them, covering them with plastic then putting the ufh and pipes down and then 60 mm of a screed. I was wondering could I fill the gaps that do not go all the way through with gravel and then fill the other ones with cement. Any ideas??

Get a few baskets of pre-mixed mortar and fill in the gaps before pouring the screed. That's what we do when doing slabs. Seals all the gaps if the screed is wet.
    Think that what you are asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

There is the standard gaps between all the slabs that are about 2 inches wide on the top and no space on the bottom which i want to fill with gravel. Then there is the ones where they are the same width at the top and the bottom which will have to be cased at the bottom and filled with concrete. I know there isnt much of a price difference between the concrete and cement its just the time needed to mix the cement that might take a bit too much time as a good bit will be needed.
    RKQ wrote: »
    What gaps would you fill with grave?
    Why not use concrete?
    (Even if its mixed on site there isn't a huge cost difference between gravel and conc!)

Do you really need insulation in a first floor slab?

A precast slab has been designed and manufacturered to suit your particular house, by an Engineer at the factory. I think you should contact the manufacturer and follow their advice / specifications.

Advertisement