Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android barcode scanner app- shopsavvy

• 03-01-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Anyone have this app.
    Apparently, it scans a product's barcode and compares its price with nearby stores.
    Sounds great.

Here's a video:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

^Just added a Youtube video.
    As i said, pretty cool app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

mkennedy wrote: »
    ^Just added a Youtube video.
    As i said, pretty cool app.

Would have to be smartcodes though, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

strecker wrote: »
    Would have to be smartcodes though, eh?

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

mkennedy wrote: »
    What do you mean?

I was just assuming it works like the other barcode scanners, with 'smart' barcode! They are common in japan etc, but rare here in Ireland!
    But maybe I'm wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

strecker wrote: »
    I was just assuming it works like the other barcode scanners, with 'smart' barcode! They are common in japan etc, but rare here in Ireland!
    But maybe I'm wrong?

Are you talking about 2D barcodes? They can be easily read using a camera phone but are rarely used here.

Firefox have an add-on for 2D barcodes.

Nokia Link

Nokia had created their own square barcodes, where you can encode URL's, messages and even phone numbers into the image. The phone can then scan the image, and read the contents of the message.

The scaner in the video is reading a 1D barcode which can be done with ZebraScan already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

davton wrote: »
    Are you talking about 2D barcodes? They can be easily read using a camera phone but are rarely used here.

Firefox have an add-on for 2D barcodes.

Nokia Link

Nokia had created their own square barcodes, where you can encode URL's, messages and even phone numbers into the image. The phone can then scan the image, and read the contents of the message.

The scaner in the video is reading a 1D barcode which can be done with ZebraScan already.

He's probably talking about QR codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

He's probably talking about QR codes.

Same thing as 2D codes

Advertisement