Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Internet issues..... (for a change)

Options
  • 03-01-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

hey, you guys are probably sick of seeing threads like this but yet again heres another one.
    basically, up until new years eve I was going along quite happily, and then something happened. I dont know what. turned on my computer the following day and no internet working!
    My setup is a UPC 10Mb connection, going into a Wired netgear RP614V3 router, that splits into 2 computers and an xbox 360.
    I played around with this, and discovered the root of my problem was my uTorrent... so decided id close it and see what happened.... nothing. So restarted my pc againa nd it worked for about 15 mins and then stopped. I then noticed that it was only my browsers that wouldnt work (opera, firefox, IE, Chrome) but then noticed the problem was resolved if I ran steam.... but running a speedteswt it told me Im not even getting 3Mb with a ping of 290-300. Rang UPC today and they told me that it wasnt their problem. I reset all my modem settings, my router settings, returned all my computer settings to default (regarding the internet) and still nothing. The strangest thing is it only happens on one computer, and it works (but is slow) on the other computer, and is perfect on the xbox.

I dont know if Ive beenc lear or not describing that, but I woudl REALLY appreciate any help taht can be given to me, seing as I have to spend another on the phomne begging them to get some to call out tomorow and theyll still say no :(

Thanks In advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

if its just one computer - might be the problem.
    try to turn off that computer and run your speed test from the other machine ?

Have you run antivirus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Turned off the computer, ran the speedtest from my other machine and I got 3.5Mb Which is a bit better, but still not great tbh. My first thing would be to get the internet working abck on both of them,. I Didnt try antivirus as I have quite a few large files for scool etc stored on the PC, so have to leave it overnight running, but Ill do it tonight. Was kind of hoping that I wouldnt have to go there, but then again thats what they're there for I suppose. Will post back tomorow, thanks!

its always good to run a check :)

looking at the ping issue: try to tracert www.google.com or another site www.upc.ie maybe from doc (-start - run - cmd - )? and you will get the list of times it takes from each node.
    If the connection between your machine and your routers has a long time then you know its your side - if its after your router then you know its UPC.

that might be the first place to look actually.

edit: UPC 10mb connection looks niiiice :) cant get it where i am though ! :(

The 10Mb IS nice, when it works :D
    NO DOWNLOAD LIMIT!!!!!
    how do I know the time between each of the nodes? if I do a tracert:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 10 ms 6 ms 7 ms 10.92.224.1
    3 30 ms 29 ms 29 ms 089-101-162161.ntlworld.ie [89.101.162.161]
    4 23 ms 34 ms 74 ms ie-dub01a-ra4-xe-0-2-0-0.aorta.net [213.46.165.8
    1]
    5 42 ms 70 ms 40 ms nl-ams05a-rd1-gige-3-0.aorta.net [213.46.160.97]

6 40 ms 40 ms 41 ms de-fra01a-rd2-pos-12-0.aorta.net [213.46.160.217
    ]
    7 52 ms 51 ms 36 ms 213.46.179.110.aorta.net [213.46.179.110]
    8 35 ms 50 ms 36 ms 72.14.198.165
    9 47 ms 43 ms 119 ms 209.85.249.178
    10 39 ms 40 ms 38 ms 209.85.248.182
    11 41 ms 50 ms 51 ms 72.14.233.114
    12 49 ms 51 ms 48 ms 72.14.233.79
    13 46 ms 45 ms 47 ms 66.249.94.146
    14 62 ms 50 ms 45 ms ik-in-f99.google.com [66.249.91.99]

Trace complete.

Not a clue what to do with that.
    that was to google.ie

EDIT:
    By the way, I have a scan running at the moment, will see what that comes up with in the morning.

that looks pretty good
    each line means its a different node (different computer thats passing your info from your computer to google)
    the 3 times <1ms <1ms <1ms are 3 different attempts at pinging that node.

from that it looks like you are getting a 62ms ping to google - which isnt *all* that bad.

hmmm - im wondering where your getting your stats from.
    try to download http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/download.sourceforge.net/ubuntu-cdimage/livecd-base/20090103/i386.squashfs
    and see what kinda speed you are getting downloading it.

its just the ubuntu 386 image hosted on heanet.ie
    my connection is maxed with that.

edit: oh http://kb.iu.edu/data/aihy.html is a pretty good explaination of tracert if your *really* interested :)

• Advertisement

Was using www.speedtest.net for my results... not perfect I know but still accurate enough.

And would you believe, no virus found last night after a 9 hour scan, and my internet is fine now..... for the time being. I jsut ahve to see can I get my port forwarding working... will get back to you in a little while, gotta get breakfast etc before II start into this crap now :)

Okay
    So here it begins.
    I havent left this chair since my last post.....
    Tried to set up port forwarding. It failed epicly.

So set it back to default, and started did it step by step. And tried to configure a static IP address..... so it failed there..... any idea what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

1: Are you trying to use uTorrent at the same time as the web?
    2: Have you been downloading a lot?

If so, then it sounds like they're just throttling you. Quit torrenting for a week or so and see if it's more reliable. Also check your uTorrent setup to see if the max. number of connections/upload speed is very high.

Normally, I am yeah. I have my DL and UL capped to a reasonable amount so I can still browse with relative comfort, but now if I run it, it makes my browser just stop. everything times out, on every browser on every site. I can still run programs like steam etc.

Was in contact with UPC today, they said its a roblem in my area, should be sorted soon..... I hope....
    What I cant understand is why it doesnt happen on the other computer in this room :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

MrDrifter wrote: »
    Normally, I am yeah. I have my DL and UL capped to a reasonable amount so I can still browse with relative comfort, but now if I run it, it makes my browser just stop. everything times out, on every browser on every site. I can still run programs like steam etc.

Was in contact with UPC today, they said its a roblem in my area, should be sorted soon..... I hope....
    What I cant understand is why it doesnt happen on the other computer in this room :(

Have you tried running a speedtest with *only the PC that you are not having problems with connected to the router? because it dosent sound like a connection issue to me sounds like a PC issue....

btw for some reason UPC speedtest results seem to be more accurate if you choose UK as your local server...something to do with piping all traffic to london before sending it the next location....so I read on here anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had exactly the same symptoms at home in navan a week or so ago and it was 'fixed' 3 times by an ntl engineer before tey had it sorted.

i guess whatever it was has been spreading.

the advanced settings in the modem kept showing errors but it wasn't always disconnecting, sometimes the ntl modem would stay connected but just not get me online. tried various dns services and multiple resets to no avail. eventually we just gave up and got out of the house for the day. :)

one thing i did notice though was that they did b*gger all over the weekend, despite saying that the engineer was out on-site looking at the problem and would have it fixed asap.

nothing all weekend and then from about 5am on the monday morning it was all mysteriously resolved for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Synchr0

Where did You try to speedtest it ? it basiclly depends on few things

1) What is your contenton ratio?

As far as i know every link from UPC has a contention ratio which means You are sharing your connection with other people (thats in your agreemend by the way) So when there's huge traffic locally you wont get full 10mbit .
    I have a pipe 20mbit with contention 1/24 - means im sharing my link with 24 people - the Backbone is in fact 100mbit but probably limited to 20mbit on each port of the switch.

2) Where did You do the speedtest to ?

Well this now depends on routing - the pings you are gettin ( and number of servers passed on the way to destination) I would sugest to go to speedtest.net and pick up local speedtest with server in dublin.
    Obviosly You wont get the same speed downloading from Asia then you get downloading from ireland. The speeds and routing really depends...
    For example You can get 1.2mb/s with ireland and get just 500kb/s.

But i suggest just to check contention ratio and get a good source to download ( you can get a full speed but the source has to be good) - i would sugest some kind of FTP over 100mbit - best would be in IRE :D
    And be carefull ;p bcoz they say the pipe in unlimited ( that You can download as much as You want) but the fact is theyll send you a notice if you ill go over some value friend of mine received the notice he downloaded 500GB within a month :D

Advertisement