Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Internet Explorer

Options
  • 03-01-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Why do ITD persist with using Microsoft outlook? I have lost track of how many times that it has crashed on me this evening and quite a few times where I have lost information due to it crashing. Why aren't they using Firefox or Chrome. I have been using both of these for the past year and a half on my own laptop. Due to a temporary problem with my laptop I have been forced to use a networked Desktop. The PC itself is quite good except for microsoft IE. Is there some reason why ITD will not ditch IE in favour of a more stable competitor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Why do ITD persist with using Microsoft outlook?

I take it you mean IE rather than Outlook?
    Mrmoe wrote: »
    I have lost track of how many times that it has crashed on me this evening and quite a few times where I have lost information due to it crashing. Why aren't they using Firefox or Chrome. I have been using both of these for the past year and a half on my own laptop. Due to a temporary problem with my laptop I have been forced to use a networked Desktop. The PC itself is quite good except for microsoft IE. Is there some reason why ITD will not ditch IE in favour of a more stable competitor?

http://portableapps.com/

^^^^ go there and grab portable Firefox and lash it on a USB key and then you'll have Firefox on an ITD machine you use without having to install it.

Oh and to actually answer your question, they probably don't want to have to support more software than they already do. The licences they purchase for Windows and other MS products more than likely cover support for IE so that's a quick and easy way of having supported software without going to a huge amount of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

That would be a good solution alright. For me it is only a temporary problem as I am waiting for a new charger for my laptop. It must be really frustrating for people who need to use a networked PC every day. I was shocked at how bad it was. I have never seen a any other software crash so many times. I think this is starting to remind me why I switched to Firefox and Chrome all that time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

rmacm wrote: »
    I take it you mean IE rather than Outlook?

http://portableapps.com/

^^^^ go there and grab portable Firefox and lash it on a USB key and then you'll have Firefox on an ITD machine you use without having to install it.

Oh and to actually answer your question, they probably don't want to have to support more software than they already do. The licences they purchase for Windows and other MS products more than likely cover support for IE so that's a quick and easy way of having supported software without going to a huge amount of effort.
    Handy programme thanks

Could ya just store the portable firefox on your workspace because id imagine it would be fairly slow running from a usb stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Nah it runs quick enough, there's a whole load of apps you can use so it might be handy to download a few of them to save you being stuck if you're using an ITD machine and there's something you need that isn't on it.

But yeah you could stick it in the work area of the machine too if you like.

Advertisement