Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Pay as you go sim card only

• 03-01-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

I have been an o2 broadband customer for well over a year. It is a contract where I pay a set amount each mount and I get a 10Gb download limit and I pay if I go over this as per o2 fair usage policy.
    I am thinking of cancelling this as my usgae has reduced recently but it would still be useful to keep it for when i do need it. My question is : is there any mobile broadband company that offers the pay as you go sim card on its own? I enquired about 3 broadband before but I had to purchase the modem from them as well which I think was about €150.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your modem is probably locked to O2. Mine is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sean Hogan

Hi
    I am going to puchase a 3g enabled Acer aspire one and I intend to get a sim card from the 3 company as I will not need the modem..I was told that its possible to get sim card without having to get the modem.The sim card is 10 euro so i was told.I would like to know more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you can buy the sim card for €10 and the mobile broadband is €25 for 30 days or €10 per week

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sonneti

The 3 network is utter balls.. I've been using it for 7 days and the highest connection I ever seen was a spike to 60k for a split second. Rest of the time its 2k - 25k with lag and Access Denied errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sean Hogan wrote: »
    Hi
    I am going to puchase a 3g enabled Acer aspire one and I intend to get a sim card from the 3 company as I will not need the modem..I was told that its possible to get sim card without having to get the modem.The sim card is 10 euro so i was told.I would like to know more though.

Have a look at this thread, and save yourself the bother. Don't get a Three SIM.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got anything good to say about the 3 newwork? They are the only company with pay as u go mobile broadband,foggy lad have you used the sim card in a laptop?

Has anyone got anything good to say about the 3 newwork? They are the only company with pay as u go mobile broadband,foggy lad have you used the sim card in a laptop?

never used it in a laptop but the speeds have got better lately as people switched to o2 so it might be worth a trial of a months use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dubliner Cheese

I have had quite good experiences using 3. Its good that it works in UK as well as Ireland without roaming charges. Foggy Lad -- Where can you get the SIM only for €10, I'd like to get a one to put in a new Advent 4213.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dubliner Cheese

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you can buy the sim card for €10 and the mobile broadband is €25 for 30 days or €10 per week
    Do you know where to go to get the sim for €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You just buy a normal 3pay sim. these cost €9 and are available only from a 3 store, go to https://my3.three.ie and set up the simas one of the 3 modems (this will enable you to purchase the internet addons)

• Advertisement

I have just received the 3g enabled Aser Aspire One I have a slot to take a broadband sim card.I hope to buy the 3 Broanband sim card (as opposed the the 3 sim phone card) from the 3 outlet for 10 euro.I have 3g management software with the netbook.I hope this work.Is the any reason why it shouldnt.?

I have just received the 3g enabled Aser Aspire One I have a slot to take a broadband sim card.I hope to buy the 3 Broanband sim card (as opposed the the 3 sim phone card) from the 3 outlet for 10 euro.I have 3g management software with the netbook.I hope this work.Is the any reason why it shouldnt.?
    there is only the 3pay sim card or you can get a contract one but you would have to buy their modem to get on a contract afaik. but for €25 a month you can use any three pay sim card for broadband! you just register online with your number and go in and change your handset type to "modem" and it then allows you purchase the broadband add-ons, you do not have to buy a handset just the sim card and register it online

Advertisement