Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suspension problem

Options
  • 03-01-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I was driving my old man's car today and noticed the ride felt a little bumpy. I don't know much about cars but I notice that if you push down on the front corners of the car, there's very little bounce and it almost feels like there's no travel in it.

I know if it's bouncing too much it's possibly the shocks, but could this be the springs? Would getting it sorted cost much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

fasty wrote: »
    I was driving my old man's car today and noticed the ride felt a little bumpy. I don't know much about cars but I notice that if you push down on the front corners of the car, there's very little bounce and it almost feels like there's no travel in it.

First of all - what are you comparing your Dads car with? Some suspensions are stiffer than others.

A general rule of thumb is that you press down, release and the suspension should rise back up and settle.

A bumpy ride could also be due to incorrect tyre pressure and a host of other faults - don't condemn the suspension just yet. If in doubt have it checked by a competent mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Tyre pressure is a possibility, it just got two new tyres recently.

I'm comparing it to what it felt like before, and my experience of cars having a bit more travel when you push down on the corners. As I said, this barely moves down (although it does come up again)

Thanks for your help, I'll drop home tomorrow and get the pressure checked. Failing that I'll check a mechanic to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

The car might have sports suspension which would result in less travel in the shocks.

You may only be noticing this now due to the new tyres! The difference in road feedback between brands can be quite big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What make of car is it?

As Crosstownk said, some have softer suspensions than others. Some have "no" travel at all to hand pressure and "body weight".

Advertisement