Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 250cc recomendations?

• 04-01-2009 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

At the moment I'm riding an old C90 but I'm looking at upgrading and 125cc isn't really a step up from a rebored 85cc engine on a 50cc frame. So I'm looking for a 250 but there seems to be feck all of them around, I don't want any plastic fantastic jobs, Quinn wouldn't give me a quote on a CBR250 anyway. I've been thinking a Hornet 250 but I'm still not sure what to get.

Bottom line what I need is, something with enough power to get me cross-counties (I've done it on the C90... it takes a LONG time) I'd be looking for a bike that'd do 80-100km/h. And it has to be nifty enough to get inbetween Dublin traffic, I'd say that rules a cruiser out. Also it'd have to be handy enough on Insurance but again I'm not a fan of plastic fantastic jobs.

Thanks, maiden

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

I've a 250 Suzuki Marauder (it's a cruiser), gets about 115 kmph tops and is grand for city traffic, i commute to the city centre every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yamaha Dragstar is another 250 you could consider. Also called the Virago in it's earlier guise and is supposed to be reliable and isn't huge so good for traffic. Lighter than the Suzuki too I believe but then that can be a bad thing at speed I suppose.

Kawasaki Ninja 250 is out there too if you wanted a sportbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hornet's sell for mad money, you can get a restricted z750 for the same price!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=56745&d=1227042608

Going for 3.2k 05 model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Fabio wrote: »
    Yamaha Dragstar is another 250 you could consider. Also called the Virago in it's earlier guise and is supposed to be reliable and isn't huge so good for traffic.
    Are you thinking of the V star? the 2008+ Virago.

The dragstar 250 is a grand bike but wouldn't describe it as great for traffic. I generally sit in the middle of the road as the turning circle is fairly big on it so not great for nipping in and out of tight spaces. Still, it's well comfortable and great on a bit of open road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

tdr250 if you can find one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Yammy zeal 250, nice naked bike

what about a bros 400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

a restricted bandit 600 is yer only man.

seanybiker wrote: »

u still trying to sell urs seany :p

u on MSN bud ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    u still trying to sell urs seany :p

u on MSN bud ;)
    I was gonna sell mine and get a gsxr 1000 but couldnt be bothered trying to sell mine lol. Its to much fun anyways.
    Not on msn at moment. Watching eastenders he he

I was gonna sell mine and get a gsxr 1000 but couldnt be bothered trying to sell mine lol. Its to much fun anyways.
    Not on msn at moment. Watching eastenders he he

Eastenders LMAO u need to get out more :P

Gizz a nudge if u log in kk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

I probably wont get a quote on one. They wouldn't quote me on a CB-1 which is only 400cc.

Lilliput69, I'm liking the Zeal, any idea where I could pick one up? No luck here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

clown bag wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the V star? the 2008+ Virago.

The dragstar 250 is a grand bike but wouldn't describe it as great for traffic. I generally sit in the middle of the road as the turning circle is fairly big on it so not great for nipping in and out of tight spaces. Still, it's well comfortable and great on a bit of open road.

Yeah that's the one.

Not great for traffic no?

Is there a semi-powerful and comfy cruiser out there that is? I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 250 or 500...something that can keep up and not be afriad of cars at 70 or 80 should the time ever come...

I probably wont get a quote on one. They wouldn't quote me on a CB-1 which is only 400cc.

Lilliput69, I'm liking the Zeal, any idea where I could pick one up? No luck here.

I have a Zeal on a rebuild at the mo but it ain't forsale, i had a quick look using google and found one in the UK, just ask round, there was one forsale about 2 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JoeJC

The Kawasaki Ninja 250r is one of the best, most reliable and powerful around in the 250 category. Its pricey and waiting lists could be high, I think, but when you sell it on, in a couple of years or so, you can make a lot of your money back because the new Ninjas are in high demand. It also looks truly beautiful.

JoeJC wrote: »
    The Kawasaki Ninja 250r is one of the best, most reliable and powerful around in the 250 category.

dunno if its any of those tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

Ninja 250 is nice, but the insurance isn't. Think I'll go for the Hornet 250, it's handy on insurance and quick enough from what I've heard.

Ninja 250 is nice, but the insurance isn't. Think I'll go for the Hornet 250, it's handy on insurance and quick enough from what I've heard.

quicker then the 'ninja'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

250 Hornet is the way to go! We got one as a first bike for the GF and they're great! Fun to ride! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Is the OP looking for learner bikes, coz the hornet needs to be restricted

Advertisement