Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a tropical aquarium

Options
  • 04-01-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I got a present of an 84 litre aquarium and have been reading up on what I need to do before adding fish. However there seems to be so much conflicting advice out there re: cycling the tank so I'm looking for advice on the best way to do it, how long before I can add fish etc.

Here's what I've done so far....
    I cleaned out the inside of the tank today with plain water, cleaned the gravel and ornaments until the water ran clear and added them to the tank. Installed the heater, filter and thermometer, then filled the tank and added some stress coat to remove the chlorine and chloramine. Also have Nutrafin Cycle which guy said to add to the tank tomorrow with a tiny tiny pinch of fish food, once the water conditioner has taken effect. Was then told to leave it 7-10 days before adding fish. Someone else also suggested increasing the temperature of the tank from 26C to 28C to speed up the cycling process (and obviously bringing the temperature back down again before adding fish).

Does this sound right? Have read on some sites that you can start to add fish after 3 days, but then others say that the cycle won't have completed for up to 8 weeks. Would adding live plants to the aquarium help?

I'm in no major rush to add fish so don't mind waiting if it means I'll have a lower mortality rate.

Also looking for ideas on good starter fish. I'm hoping to end up with a nice bright, colourful aquarium with healthy fish.

Karen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭properbo

i just done 100% water change and used the Organic Aqua start up kit. i put fish in after couple hrs. check out your pet shop also i would shop around. one shop was selling it for 25€ and next shop was 16€ . fish are looking well now day 5. water crystal clear.

www.organicaqua.co.za

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Great jod well doen what i doen was filled the tank with cold water from the tap put the heater in at 26c put the filter in then there was two bottles that came with the kit lowers nitrates and that put them in.
    Let the tank cycle for about 24-48 hrs untill the heater was going on and off so the water is at the right test the ph etc of the water if all ok go buy your fish then log on to www.irishfishforum.com and any help advice ya want is there.What fish are ya keeping? I have african ciclids trouphes moori and dubashi need any more help just ask no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

you seem to be fairly on top of things already!good stuff!you can buy a bottle of stuff called "stress zyme" thats the make i use anyway there will be plenty more, but that is full of the bacteria needed in de tanks filter, once this bacteria is established it and the tank is running for a week or two it'll be ready to add fish.

Advertisement