Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking/Hiking in Galway City and immediate (30k) surroundings

Options
  • 04-01-2009 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭

Have searched for any relevant threads with no joy, sorry if this is a mess and in the wrong place.

Any suggestions for areas to walk/hike - nothing crazy as post-yuletide health is limited - around Galway? With the exception of the Prom, Barna Woods and Knockma Hill?

Any immediate suggestions would help... Not too sure how long this health kick is gonna last. Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

edit: ah ****... i always forget Castle Hackett is the same as Knockma...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Knockma Hill is great, only discovered its existence a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,878 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ballyloughaun beach. I'm told you can get round the coast up to Merlin Park from there.

Where's Knockma Hill?

Is Gort less than 30km away? If so, then Coole Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Knockma is about 30k out the N17 (Tuam Road). Take the N17 from Galway and turn left for Belclare a few k's this side of Tuam (it's well signposted). It is only a short distance past the village of Belclare. There are two different paths to the top. At the summit (paths don't go the whole way but its only a short climb) there are a number of Neolithic cairns which probably contain passage tombs (Queen Maeve and the Connacht fairy king (can't remember name) supposedly buried here. Evidence has been found for a hillfort here as well as a number of other features.

The view from the top of the main cairn is fantastic on a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Damn, I've walked this loads of times but never knew there were cairns on it. I presume they're a bit off the actual path are they? Methinks I'll have to go take a look tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

The cairns are at the summit which is quite overgrown. At the paths highest point you just hit the short distance for the summit, hop over a wall or two and you will see the cairns (very hard to miss). If you go to headford.org then images and aerial views of Headford there is a great picture of one of the cairns (incidentally the monument at its summit was probably erected for use during the ordinance survey. (not sure if we can post links)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

If you think 2 hours walk is not too bad there are the smaller mountains in Conemara, as someone mentioned already Coole Park is beautiful at anytime of the year and the grounds of Kilcornan in Clarenbridge are great if woods are your thing:)

Where in Clarinbridge is that Dave?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Go to www.geocaching.com and find all the Galway ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Right past the main village in Clarinbridge you'll see on the left the entrance into Kilcornan from there, alternatively a little way up on the left there's a smaller entrance, you'll see a yellow gate just off the road. Worth a wander out.

I'm sure youve been out to Renvyle, you can go in a back entrance near the summer houses, nice alternate entrance to the park.

Tawin Island's nice for a walk to, blustery but lovely and you see right across to Salthill and Silver Strand on a good clear day. Out beyond Oranmore/maree direction.

Knockma's a good healthy walk too, recommend that one! shorter walk (alot) but nice one is either around Menlo, there's a graveyard and sometimes ducks in the water..and across the river from that youve the university sports ground (Dangan) and there's a good lengthy walk..park at the university sports ground and walk back along the river..ah lovely! There's an old tea house and lots of greenery to admire.

Happy walking:)

• Advertisement

Like this idea, don't have a gps but it sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

You can check out trails in forest parks on the Coillte website, Monivea and Newvillage are both around 30km from Galway. Haven't tried them myself yet but I'm hoping to soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Connemara national park has a nice little walk, not very far mind.

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated.:):):):):)

Forgot bout Monivea, that's a nice forest walk, you can see the old Ice House and i've heard there's a Crypt....happy walking:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Sorry Happyoutscan, some people are just TOOOOO fast off the mark here:D:D
    Wow, plenty of places to check out there, should keep you busy for a while:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

The 'walk' of yer lives, especially this time of year, has to be along the tops of the maam turks, been there loads of times , along with the 12 , and mweelrea. but the maam turks isnt that far from Galway, and a day out to be enjoyed.

alibabba wrote: »
    The 'walk' of yer lives, especially this time of year, has to be along the tops of the maam turks, been there loads of times , along with the 12 , and mweelrea. but the maam turks isnt that far from Galway, and a day out to be enjoyed.

Indeed, but a bit further than 30km..we should start a thread with walks outside the city/surroundings..

Galway to Mamm
    Total Distance (Km): 41.84

But worth it indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

where can i get good maps of these walks, not massive detail needed but enough, i was on the coilte site and saw some there and were helpful

• Advertisement

axiom32 wrote: »
    where can i get good maps of these walks, not massive detail needed but enough, i was on the coilte site and saw some there and were helpful

Are you talking about the Maam Turk Walks ?
    If so, google simon stewart.ie website, best one around for Maam Turks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Another place just outside the 30kms is Slieve Carran in the Burren

Advertisement