Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking - Dublin airport

• 04-01-2009 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Possibly this was raised already, I did search before posting this.

Early am and late pm flight from Dublin airport in a few days. Times are so early and so late, buses are not an option. And I'll fleeced with taxis as I'm a fair distance away :(

Anywhere safe to park? Is it free, like I don't mind parking in some corner (preferably by a security hut) and not take up a space? It goes without saying there has to be something to chain it too and I'll pay if neccesary.

So how does it work in the airport? The bike isn't high value but all the same I'd rather not have to worry about thieves all day.
    I'd do have some uber expensive chains that have defeated three robbery attempts but they couldn't stop the vandalism from the frustrated thieves when they failed :mad:

Thanks for your help, I'm hoping the airport is a safe place and all advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

Free parking just inside the entrance to the short-term car park. Think it's safe enough, any time I was parked there was attendants there.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

HI there,
    I work in the airport myself. When I was gettin the bike I applied for a staff parking permit, just to make sure I was fully within the rules, etc.

I was told that car park people aren't too fussed about bikes, and that most bikers park inside the short term car park building for free.

myself I leave the bike everyday in a car park outside the old terminal building, along with a few others. There's absolutely no indication that it's a staff-owned bike, but it hasn't been touched/commented upon by security/ attendants, so I guess yr free to leave yr bike anywhere within reason.

You're right-Airport is a particularly safe environment, but sure no harm with the lock if you can find somethin to anchor it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

HI there,
    I work in the airport myself. When I was gettin the bike I applied for a staff parking permit, just to make sure I was fully within the rules, etc.

I was told that car park people aren't too fussed about bikes, and that most bikers park inside the short term car park building for free.

myself I leave the bike everyday in a car park outside the old terminal building, along with a few others. There's absolutely no indication that it's a staff-owned bike, but it hasn't been touched/commented upon by security/ attendants, so I guess yr free to leave yr bike anywhere within reason.

You're right-Airport is a particularly safe environment, but sure no harm with the lock if you can find somethin to anchor it too!

Was wondering about this myself as i sometimes do in and out trips in the one day, i just didn't think it would be safe to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

This was on a few different message boards, and the general opinion seemed to be that there's no problem doing it, but a lot of bikes go missing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Free parking just inside the entrance to the short-term car park. Think it's safe enough, any time I was parked there was attendants there.

Just wondering- does the short term car park not have barriers with a ticket you have to take ? In other words how is it free- do you ride around the side of the barrier or something?
    Also like the OP I have a v.early flight and would prefer not to be paying a taxi €30. Is it advised to leave it there for 3/4 days or is this taking the piss out of the attendents ? And asking for it to be stolen ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

RATM wrote: »
    Just wondering- does the short term car park not have barriers with a ticket you have to take ? In other words how is it free- do you ride around the side of the barrier or something?
    Also like the OP I have a v.early flight and would prefer not to be paying a taxi €30. Is it advised to leave it there for 3/4 days or is this taking the piss out of the attendents ? And asking for it to be stolen ?

Not sure about leaving it there for a few days. The barriers come 2/3 width of a full barrier if you're picking up what I'm putting down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I park in the short term directly opossite the main entrance, think it actually calls itse'f the "executive car park" now though. There is a spot just beside one of the ramps in there near the disabled bays that always has a few bikes parked. Have left mine there loads of times with no bother for up to a week at a time and the barriers are not full width on the exit so just fit past it on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

I was told by lady from car parking office that its common practice to leave bikes in the short term car park-she told me bikes are 'too small' to be worrying about- but to be honest, i wouldn't do it myself for more than a night max.

I don't think theft would be an issue, but given that the arrangment described above sounds incredibly informal, I would be concerned that airport police/car park attendants may take it upon themselves to remove an unauthorized vehicle, even if that breaks precedent.

Additionally, if yr going on a multiple-night trip, the benefits of the bike over public transport aren't as great as if yr going & coming back on the same day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

You have been warned!
    http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3097

Seriously, do a search on biker.ie for airport, full of bad news stories.

Advertisement