Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which organisation is better

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I noticed on another site that the BDO is upping next years prize fund, possibly to stop players from moving across to the PDC.

If I was a top BDO player I wouldn't be pushed about moving over the the PDC anymore. Anderson and Whitlock certainly impressed at the grand slam, but why move to a top heavy league that seems to becoming dominated by a league where a good run in four tournaments sends you flying up the order of merit and even if you finish top 8 in the world, you still lose out to a wally with inflatable palm trees (sorry still venting on that)

Once out of the first round, to my surprise, Lakeside has been every bit as good as the PDC minus Taylor

James Wade is now PDC World Number 2, but when was the last time, if ever, he averaged over a hundred in two consecutive games over 5 sets??

Like most top BDO players, he's a mid 90's player

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

This year's stats:

BDO 1/4 finals:

Gary Anderson 29.83 3 v 5 29.04 Tony O'Shea (Eng)
    Darryl Fitton 30.83 5 v 4 30.16 Scott Waites (Eng)
    John Walton 29.17 1 v 5 29.49 Ted Hankey (Eng)
    Gary Robson 30.64 4 v 5 30.71 Martin Adams (Eng)

PDC 1/4 finals:

Mervyn King 32.27 5-2 29.24 Barrie Bates
    Phil Taylor 36.27 5-0 28.86 Co Stompe
    Paul Nicholson 27.51 3-5 27.25 James Wade
    Raymond van Barneveld 35.56 5-1 31.76 Jelle Klaasen

BDO 1/2 finals:

Tony O'Shea 31.11 6 v 4 30.81 Darryl Fitton (Eng)
    Ted Hankey 31.96 6 v 4 31.51 Martin Adams (Eng)

PDC 1/2 finals:

Raymond van Barneveld 31.78 6-4 30.38 James Wade
    Phil Taylor 34.65 6-2 29.75 Mervyn King

BDO Final:

Tony O'Shea 30.18 6 v 7 30.49 Ted Hankey (Eng)

PDC Final:

Phil Taylor 36.98 7-1 33.73 Raymond van Barneveld

Obvious difference in the final. I don't think anyone could argue that Taylor and Barneveld play at a different level to anyone else on form, against that the BDO final was a thriller and the standard was still good.

Overall, once again, the gap is not huge. Most of the top players average in the low to mid nineties with the exceptional pushing 100 or above.

Stats found here: http://www.bdodarts.com/ and here: http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/WorldChamps/0,,10180,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

No point in voting on this really though

PDC the standard of the overall product is better. Nobody can really argue with that. But darts fans themselves know, BDO is more important. If the BDO folded now, there wouldn't be a PDC in ten years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Most grassroots darts in the UK is run by volunteers and apart from being registered with the BDO they have little or no involvement. Darts would go on if the BDO folded tomorrow.

The BBC/BDO coverage this week was embarrassing to watch. Ray 'what emotions were you feeling' Stubbs and Bobby George holding player interviews in the players bar and Ted 'Im off the drink' Hankey necking a pint in the background. That along with their dated presentation and lack of good players makes darts look like a complete joke.

There are good players wasting away in the BDO. Shame.

Thank **** for Barry Hearn and the PDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Most grassroots darts in the UK is run by volunteers and apart from being registered with the BDO they have little or no involvement. Darts would go on if the BDO folded tomorrow.

The BBC/BDO coverage this week was embarrassing to watch. Ray 'what emotions were you feeling' Stubbs and Bobby George holding player interviews in the players bar and Ted 'Im off the drink' Hankey necking a pint in the background. That along with their dated presentation and lack of good players makes darts look like a complete joke.

There are good players wasting away in the BDO. Shame.

Thank **** for Barry Hearn and the PDC.

Surely its no worse than Sid 'I cant get my head out of Phil Taylors a*se' Waddell ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree with this, having the interviews in the players lounge with idiots in the background trying to get on TV and everyone slugging back the pints is very unprofessional. I don't know why the BBC got rid of the studio, it's more more professional and makes the whole tournaments seem a lot more professional and worthwhile. Other things like the walk ons need to be sorted, either do it properly like the PDC or get rid of them altogether. There is no point in doing it half arsed because again it just looks amateur and a lot of the players seem embarrassed by their walk ons. It's a whole lot of small things like this which drag the BDO down.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Ok lads it really does annoy the hell out of me when ignorant people talk bad about the BDO. Yes we all know that the PDC is the better organisation when it comes to professional darts players, the money is better, the venues are better, the competitions are better, the coverage is miles better and on average the players are better BUT the BDO does some fantastic work at youth, local, county and amatuer level and the PDC would not exist if the BDO did not exist. Barry Hearn has decided that the PDC will completely neglect the smaller dart player and it's very hard to break into the PDC. That's his decision and tbh I think it is working very well as the BDO serves as a breeding ground or top class players who eventually move over to the PDC.

The problem with the BDO is not the players, it's Olly Croft and his outdated views on darts and the BBC and their simply awful coverage. It was said above that they have a stupid plan of only showing the darts for exactly one hour at night, irrespective of whether the game is over yet. They cut from a game right at the end and we have to wait for the awful highlights show in the middle of the night to see the ending!

As for the players, it's obvious that on average there are better players in the PDC but there are also some VERY good players in the BDO who could easily hold there own on the PDC circuit. There are alot of very poor players playing on the PDC circuit, that's why players like Stompe (who never did anything in the BDO TV Tournaments) can storm up the rankings so fast. Anybody who says that the BDO players are crap have no idea about the sport of darts and should keep their uneducated opinions to themselves.

The BDO lacks the professional way that the PDC is run, it lacks the marketing, TV Coverage and crowds that this brings in but it definitely doesn't lack quality players and deserves the respect of every darts fan.

Good post.

All this crap about the BDO and the PDC is annoying. Its like someone being smart about, say, Bohs -v- Rovers because they prefer to watch Sky showing Leicester -v- Carlisle. There may be a slight difference in standard (though that would be no certainty), Sky may have 20 cameras there and there may be more drunk fans abusing the players, they may even have a better known commentator, but not sure those amount to much for me. All I want is good close games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There are alot of very poor players playing on the PDC circuit, that's why players like Stompe (who never did anything in the BDO TV Tournaments) can storm up the rankings so fast.

I think it says more about his ability than it does about the competition in the PDC. He bet Taylor in the German Darts Championship with both players averaging over 107. The truth is a lot of the players in the BDO don't even bother practicing (easily the most mundane part of being a professional) and are still able to compete at that level. Anderson is their current world number 1 and he doesn't practice. Mervyn King didn't practice in his last 3 years in the BDO and was still able to stay in the BDO top 5.

If you wan't to be world champion beat the likes of Taylor, Barneveld and Wade, otherwise you'll never get the recognition.

Advertisement