Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propane Gas

Options
  • 04-01-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I use the large 47kg cylinders of propane gas for heating and cooking. Currently the best price I can get from a local "distributer" is €109 per cylinder. Talking to a friend from the uk over the christmas revealed she pays £44 per cylinder. Same brand. Calor gas. With todays exchange rate that equates to about €47. Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Would you be allowed to buy them up north and bring them across the border?
    I'm just thinking you might need a licence though who is going to stop you?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

thinking the same think myself. ideally i'd like to get 10 bottles in the van but after those morons trying to blow up some uk building with propane a few years ago it might be a bit dodgy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, youl'll have some explaining to do at a checkpoint at the border counties.

Only one solution, you'll have to smuggle the gas across at night :cool:

lol. All seriousness though its the same gas in the same cylinder from the same company so why the crazy difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Calor and Flogas have exactly the same prices for each product they supply. This is obviously a case of price fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

moceri wrote: »
    Calor and Flogas have exactly the same prices for each product they supply. This is obviously a case of price fixing.

In Tralee - calor gas €30-00, flogas €28-50 for 11.34kg drum. - butane

Can get flogas at €85 per 47kg cylinder but only by signing up to a 12 month supply contract and pay by direct debit and €20 a quarter "service charge". Utter nonsense. I can just imagine the "billing errors" with the direct debit:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

This may be of help to see best value for heating -

http://www.sei.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/Domestic_Fuel_Cost_Comparison_January_2009.pdf

coal & oil come out best by big margin.

47kg gas delivered to door by local coal merchant in Kildare = €85

darc are you sure about that price? €85 47kg propane delivered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seaney

i just bought a new caravan in downings last month and when i went to buy a 47 kg bottle of gas i was charged 110 euros and 10 to deliver it from carrigart. i couldn't believe it as the andersonstown news in belfast had an advert selling the same gas for £47. there has to be a law against this sort of price rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seaney wrote: »
    i just bought a new caravan in downings last month and when i went to buy a 47 kg bottle of gas i was charged 110 euros and 10 to deliver it from carrigart. i couldn't believe it as the andersonstown news in belfast had an advert selling the same gas for £47. there has to be a law against this sort of price rip off.

Why has there to be a law against it? Nor should there be. If you have a product , it's yours. You can sell it for any price you choose.

they have it sewn up. At best you will only see a euro or 2 in price difference. My local guy tried to add 3 euro to the price (110) last week. I told him to take the bottle back or accept 110. He took the 110. All we hear is this bs about cost of living dropping. yeah sure.

i'd be tempted to get it up north but a million to one i'd be pulled and end up being fitted for an orange jumpsuit and trendy earmuffs and blacked out goggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seaney

the world is in the mess it's in because greedy people profit far and above what is reasonable to stay in business. one problem with bringing gas from the north is the difference in connections but i'm looking into it.

adaptors are readilly availabe or buy a prestolite regulator.
    www.gasproducts.co.uk up north are fantastic. got all my bits from them next day delivery via fastway and sensible money. Given that propane is derived from natural gas and crude oil i wonder will we see it drop in price come 1 may? gotta doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sdm

I now have a need to get a 34kg Flogas cylinder refill at a cost of 79.00Euro. Yet I see ads in NI for 47kg's for 49£ = 55Euro.

How are people still been ripped off so much. Prices coming down my ass.

sdm wrote: »
    I now have a need to get a 34kg Flogas cylinder refill at a cost of 79.00Euro. Yet I see ads in NI for 47kg's for 49£ = 55Euro.

How are people still been ripped off so much. Prices coming down my ass.

Exactly. I'm still in the same boat and have to fight with my local merchant to keep the cost of a 47kg at "just" 110 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Deleted!!!!

Waits for the onslaught from angry boardsies:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coraf

I just moved in to a mobile and I got my gas up North as I had no cyclinders to start with it cost me 80 euro for the gas and 25 euro for the cyclinders each , so next time I get new gas it will cost me 80 euro
    Down south it was 113 euro and 60 euro for the cyclinder so
    I made a massive saving .
    I would like to know from previous notes below where it can be got for 46 pound ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paulr353

Just paid EUR 130 in the Cork area for Flogas 47kg propane cylinder. The guy was all just yeah it just keeps going up and up..... no other supplier in my area though.

Same item available in the UK for EUR 72 (current exchange rate, VAT @ 13.5%) http://www.lpggasbottles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?itemid=88.

Celtic Tiger may be dead but Rip off Ireland lives.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fanai

Well... for an up-date:
    Today 05th March 2014, I paid €130 for a 47kg (red) propane tank in Navan while the same supplier asked €120 in 2011. Every year it went UP with a 'fiver' it seems!:(
    Fanai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 twiddler

Another helpful update... July 16th 2014

Found the best prices for gas in Dublin!

Homefuel.ie in Tallaght have 47kg propane cylinders for €105 and will deliver for free to most or all of Dublin County.

They are wholesale suppliers of gas and also sell small cylinders to private households.

Jimmy is the franchise owner in Tallaght, you can contact him on 0876695548.

Hope this helps! Save money when you can! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hi Jimmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

Anyone know where I can buy a small propane 400g ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Nemecis wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy a small propane 400g ?

I'd guess a REAL hardware store. Eg, the ones that sell nails by the lb and not in tiny packs of 6 at extortionate prices.

Not many left in Dublin. Possibly a motor factors is another option or a plumbing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blueflame2007

I was shocked when asked to pay 127 euro a couple of weeks ago for a 47kg LPG refill but as it was a Sunday and the dinner only half cooked when it ran out I had little choice but to pay up. . I live in Longford and have since discovered that I can get it from another local supplier for 109 euro. However an hour away in Derrylin there is a supplier there who has them for 80 euro. The rip off republic is alive and well and thriving.

I'll make a day of it soon and bring two empties with me to get filled and also avail of the cheaper kerosene and coal nuggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was shocked when asked to pay 127 euro a couple of weeks ago for a 47kg LPG refill but as it was a Sunday and the dinner only half cooked when it ran out I had little choice but to pay up. . I live in Longford and have since discovered that I can get it from another local supplier for 109 euro. However an hour away in Derrylin there is a supplier there who has them for 80 euro. The rip off republic is alive and well and thriving.

I'll make a day of it soon and bring two empties with me to get filled and also avail of the cheaper kerosene and coal nuggets.

We have higher taxation on those products - it is not the retailer charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

L1011 wrote: »
    We have higher taxation on those products - it is not the retailer charging more.

Can't be certain but thank the carbon taxes we have...which are just another means to extort money off the masses dressed up under the guise of "green".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

I reckon the €80 one is 34kg - €80 for 47kg would be below cost and I can't see someone selling at a loss.

€127 would be a standard price, and €100 - €110 would be a very good price. But what price time and convenience? Personally I prefer to pay a little higher to a local store (I'm very rural) to ensure that the local store stays in business so that if I run out of anything I know the local store is still there.

edit - didn't realise Derrylin is in NI - vat rate 5% v 13,5%, carbon tax applies in south, not in north. Its swings and roundabouts - far superior social welfare here (children's allowance, unemloyment, pension) compared to NI, other thinsg better in north. Down to different tax systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

LPG price increase.

I think the point being made is that there seems to be a captive market for gas.
    I run my car on LPG and its just gone from 63 cpl to 74cpl. That's an insane price jump and the outlet, Gandon Inn on the old N7, say that Calor have hiked their prices.

Is this purely coincidental that the price hike happened in the same week as there was talk on the airwaves about a grant subsidised compressed gas fleet scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

What is the latest cost in the Republic now for Propone?

I just got quote 90 euro for a 47kg tank in Fermanagh.
    30 euro to buy the tank if you don't have an empty.

Advertisement