Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health group angered by 99p pint

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is it even anytign decent they are selling for 99p or some already cheap muck?

I wouldnt drink crap just because it's cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Such utter rubbish.

If people want to drink like idiots they are going to drink like idiots regardless of the price or opening hours. It has no bearing whatsoever.

I've lived all over Europe and a good bit of Asia. Where I am at the moment in Asia drink is dirt cheap and there is no closing time. The culture goes like so; You go out with your friends to have dinner, here the people NEVER drink without eating so they don't really have 'pubs' like our style. You have a small table for friends and you get grub that you all share and beer or other alcohol.

Are the streets destroyed with alcoholics ? Is the health system crumbling under the pressure ? Do people not get up for work because they drink until 2 or 3 in the morning ? NO. Because they are adults and have a bit of common sense.

I am not in Ireland at the moment and listening to people talk about the prices and my own experiences the last time I was home I can safely say that if I do return home I am never sticking my foot inside the door of a pub. Its completely out of control, I'm not even an old guy by any standard but the pub culture that was well and truely alive when I was 'young' is completely dead.

The publicans in Ireland and the government through their greed and own moronic idea's has destroyed the 'drink' culture in Ireland.

Look at Spain, or France or Portugal or Eastern Europe. Look at Japan or Korea or China.

People go out to ENJOY themselves. They don't go out to get wasted before the bar stops serving because you know what ? The bar doesn't stop serving. They don't spend a days wages or usually more on a night out because the prices are SANE not insane.

And as for the pub chain argument, again, rubbish. The atmosphere is what YOU and YOUR friends make it. Not the publican, not the pub and not the strangers there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

monosharp wrote: »
    if I do return home I am never sticking my foot inside the door of a pub.
    Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Why do niteclubs smell like farts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Toiletroll wrote: »

Well it wasn't me...

<_<

>_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Toiletroll wrote: »

because of the smoking ban!

i for one welcome our witherspoon overlords........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

ergo wrote: »
    please no Wetherspoon's in Ireland

just what we need, a chain of identical, soul-less pubs selling cheap booze to batter the already struggling industry and kill off any pub with actual character

The pub industry needs a battering to knock some sense into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Stekelly wrote: »

Considering many places charge over €5 for cheap muck (case in point: overpriced Budweiser) I don't see why there is so much opposition for a euro pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Same here.
    Yeah, you can buy those cans of whatever @ €7 for 6 or something, but they taste like crap.

As for those complaining, there always someone to complain about something.

Just the other week there was some Kent dude who wanted to eat a packet of Buffalo Hunky Dory's, but he couldn't because there was an ingredient in them poisonous to him.
    They have now removed that ingredient and put a notice on the back of the packet.

Allergy Information: Doesn't contain Kryptonite.
    Check a pack if you don't believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Same here.
    Yeah, you can buy those cans of whatever @ €7 for 6 or something, but they taste like crap.

As for those complaining, there always someone to complain about something.

Just the other week there was some Kent dude who wanted to eat a packet of Buffalo Hunky Dory's, but he couldn't because there was an ingredient in them poisonous to him.
    They have now removed that ingredient and put a notice on the back of the packet.

Allergy Information: Doesn't contain Kryptonite.
    Check a pack if you don't believe me.

Id love a superhero ability, wouldnt you? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

wetherspoons tried to open a place on capel st a few years back but all the local publicans went mad and objected.scared they might have to lower their prices im sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Health groups can go and f*ck off. A 99p pint, perfect, then I might go out to the pub and meet friends there from time to time. As it is when I feel like a drink (and it's very rare) I'll go to the off license and get some beer which always works out the cheapest way to buy some alcohol.

They target cheap prices in the pub, do they target off licenses? Cheap beer in a pub won't make me drink anymore than I normally do but it might get me into the pub occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

They target cheap prices in the pub, do they target off licenses? Cheap beer in a pub won't make me drink anymore than I normally do but it might get me into the pub occasionally.

They'll target anywhere you can get a reasonably priced drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Wetherspoons bars are horrific, soul less, **** holes.

However, health groups having a go over cheap pints is ridiculous. if someone wants to spend their day in a piss soaked pub chain then that's their choice.

I wouldn't like to see wetherspoons and the culture of drinking that comes with it.

I think the difference in drinking between Ireland and England can be partially attributed to the English pub chain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

The food tastes okay, but only just. The pub I worked in managed to turn out the Spirit group menu of things like sausages, mash and yorkshire pudds, curries, fish and chips, burgers, wraps and sandwiches... all in the space of a small en-suite toilet and without aid of an oven or hob.

The sole means of cooking (reheating) the food was the deep-fat fryer and the microwave. We had pictures of what the food was supposed to look like on the plate, and that was as far as the cooking 'training' went.

I stopped eating there after we discovered one particularly lusty and drunk young couple up to shenanigans on the food prep area after closing time.

Wetherspoons etc. all use the same formula, so the curries are cheap, but you may as well buy a microwave curry from the supermarket. At least that way it will definitely be hot by the time you get it.

I still get frustrated when I go back to England and discover the same pubs everywhere. It would be horrible if it happened here too.

Drinks in pubs here are way overpriced, but if the chains got in, it wouldn't be just one, and it wouldn't be long till big Irish chains appeared, and then you'd never find a locally owned pub anywhere, and that would be a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Oh come on now! Nobody is going into 'spoons expecting fine dining and a pint of the world's finest brew for £4. It's like McDonalds, if you want a sloppy hamburger for €1 you go there. If you want to pay more for a higher calibre of food, go elsewhere.

The argument that cheaper beer in pubs will promote binge drinking is a moot point. People will just get drunk on a tener as opposed to 50.
    As for alcoholism, anyone who knows any actual alcoholics will know all to well that price is no option for those poor souls. If the drink is too expensive for their means they won't simply stop, they'll just run up a massive debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Agreed, Chain pubs are terrible, however my experiences here is mainly in the likes of Slug and Lettuce, Bar 38 and All Bar One (I really, really, hate All Bar One). I used to occasionally drink in one Weatherspoons place in Edinburgh - the playfair for those familiar with the town - which I have to say was OK. They served pretty much the same beers as the other chains and pubs, but did not give you your change on a silver platter in order to entice you to leave it as a tip. Service was generally better. Atmosphere wasn't great mind, but then again it was a chain.

Have to say the Canary Wharf All Bar one is one of the worst pubs in the world for Service. Seems to be a general problem in that area of London I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Tawny wrote: »
    I still get frustrated when I go back to England and discover the same pubs everywhere. It would be horrible if it happened here too.

Really? I can only speak for London, plenty of choice, I don't get that same pub everywhere as you suggest, also much better choice of beers compared to Dublin. Personally think our pubs are hyped up here well Dublin anyway as don't really have experience of pubs down the country. Personally would welcome a large UK Chain which might have some small impact on the price of a pint though we will never see a 99p pint here

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see wetherspoons and the culture of drinking that comes with it.

I think the difference in drinking between Ireland and England can be partially attributed to the English pub chain

What difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really? I can only speak for London, plenty of choice, I don't get that same pub everywhere as you suggest, also much better choice of beers compared to Dublin.

Have you looked at the menus? Often, the pubs might appear to not be part of a chain (the one I worked in had it's own traditional name, but it was part of a chain) The way to tell is if the menus and choice of drinks are the same.

And, if you visit other towns for a holiday or whatever, you will not want to go to the same pub you go to every Friday night.

I agree you get more of a choice of drinks and beers, but only so far as one chain serves one list of drinks, another chain serves another. For example, the pub I worked in couldn't serve Gordons Gin, only Beefeater. We didn't serve Smirnoff, it was some other vodka I can't remember now. We didn't serve Tennants or Bud, only Carlsberg.

It was very cheap though.... English double spirit and mixer for 1.20 if I remember correctly. I now realise that my entire point against chain pubs will be obsolete :)

Tawny wrote: »
    Have you looked at the menus? Often, the pubs might appear to not be part of a chain (the one I worked in had it's own traditional name, but it was part of a chain) The way to tell is if the menus and choice of drinks are the same.

And, if you visit other towns for a holiday or whatever, you will not want to go to the same pub you go to every Friday night.

I agree you get more of a choice of drinks and beers, but only so far as one chain serves one list of drinks, another chain serves another. For example, the pub I worked in couldn't serve Gordons Gin, only Beefeater. We didn't serve Smirnoff, it was some other vodka I can't remember now. We didn't serve Tennants or Bud, only Carlsberg.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of the chains you mentioned but still plenty of choice in London particularly as a bitter drinker and a good choice in food. Yes maybe lots of these pubs might be owned by a Brewery but each still has its own character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've only drunk in two of their establishments before, but I would have thought permanent liver damage would be the least serious medical damage that could result from drinking in there on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most people here drink crap, and its very expensive.

Dunno why they are moaning about the pubs, surely they should be asking the government to increase vat & duty on it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fosters on draught and Pilsner Urquahil (sic) by the bottle is usually the pint they push v. cheaply. In my experience anyway.
    Ok as lagers go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ergo wrote: »
    please no Wetherspoon's in Ireland

just what we need, a chain of identical, soul-less pubs selling cheap booze to batter the already struggling industry and kill off any pub with actual character

Id love a few to come over and create the tiniest bit of competition to kickstart the struggling industry into lowering their incredibly bloated prices.

Advertisement