Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good food/Bad Food

• 04-01-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I thought there was already a thread on discussion of the "healthyness" of different foods but i cant find it. i was jus looking for peoples opinions on 2. Not nutrional value now(as that can be read, but the actualy idea of them being healthy)

1) Microvable rice & pasta- Cant make up my mind on it.I would believe not as good as something you just whip up yourself, but extreamly handy

2) Fillet fish fingers - according to the label, very well balanced nutrional wise, box not to hand but i think 4g protein, 3g carbs & 2.5g fat per piece (dont hold me to it) but because its processed i have my doubts, but again very handy just to bung under the grill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Are you trying to lose weight. You're better off not eating rice or pasta if you are. Certainly in my case it's made a big difference, if you are to eat rice eat only wholemeal. As for fish fingers why not just buy fish and put that under the grill instead of eating God knows what in the bread crumbs? If you want fish fingers then turn stale bread into breadcrumbs, and then put the fish in flour then into beaten eggs, then into breadcrumbs. You can season the breadcrumbs as well if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Rice and pasta have their place, if you are extremely active and do intense exercise. Even then, I reckon boiled potatoes are a better option, less processed. If you are trying to lose weght, I'd skip them.

Fish fingers are junk. White fish has pretty much zero fat and definitely zero carbs, so you are eating an extra 27 calories of JUNK carbs and fat per fish finger to get 16 calories worth of protein. Buy some salmon and eat that. Get your omega 3 fats in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Cheers, but im actually going the other way, gaining weight.

Elieen, whats your opinion on couscous? Ive started using it quite alot now instead of rice, pasta or spuds. Very quick to make and any flavour under the sun with the correct spices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jonny303 wrote: »
    whats your opinion on couscous?
    It is really just pasta, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous made from semolina wheat just like regular pasta.

Wholegrain couscous would be a better choice, probably might be cheaper to just get wholegrain pasta.

Advertisement