Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Four points for a win?

• 04-01-2009 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

As a way of encourging playing to win rather than many teams seeking to grind out an away draw.

How the table would look as things have gone this season,

4points.jpg

Would it look much different if the season started with everyone knowing the extra reward for a win?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I do not think so. Those who want a win would get one regardless of the points for it. would make the league so hard to follow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Possible four points for an away win, but not a home one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

There was already a change made back in 1981-82 season going from 2 points for a win to 3 for the very reason you mention.
    I doubt it will be changed again TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If a team is not good enough to win when 3 points are on offer then I hardly think they will be good enough when its 4 on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

4 points for a win, 2 points for a score draw and 1 point for a scoreless draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

-1 for a loss? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

How about for every 10 points picked up away from home you get a bonus point and every 10 points dropped at home you lose a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

half time multi-ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

+ a bonus point for 3 goals scored away from home and a bonus point for 5 goals scored at home.

Man City could do quite well under that system :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Nah. Why not just go whole hog with bonus points, time outs & a sinbin?

Be to serious I'd back a 10 min sin-bin for yellow cards picked up for dangerous play/diving/time wasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

8 points for turning up
    2 points for playing the right way
    1 point for being a human
    13 points for the coolest hair cut
    3 points for a win
    1 point for a draw
    o points for a loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Square pitch, 4 goals(one at each side) , 4 teams. One ball.

8 points for turning up
    2 points for playing the right way
    1 point for being a human
    13 points for the coolest hair cut
    3 points for a win
    1 point for a draw
    o points for a loss

You forgot 12273 points for gold lame effect boots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

4 points for a win, 2 points for a score draw and 1 point for a scoreless draw.

Welcome to OldAnfieldBridge and for those turning in late the score is 1-1 after 5 minutes, incredibly enough the 47th successive game in the division this season where both teams have scored in the first 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Why don't we just flood the stadiums and have mock naval battles like the Roman's? We could even ask the chairman of each club to decide whether the worst player on the pitch deserves to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

5 Live Phone in show had a feature on improving the game once, I remember someone phoned in a savage idea: A large mushroom is planted on the centre spot, and any team that knocks it over loses all its goals. So you're 4-1 up, knock over the mushroom - BAM, you are now losing 1-0. Hate that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

TIME BOMB BALL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

3 points or 4 won't change the way teams play, whilst teams at the bottom are willing to grind out every point they can, teams at the top see a draw as two points dropped. I don't think offering 4 points for a win will make teams more adventurous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Four points FTW!

*gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

mike65 wrote: »
    As a way of encourging playing to win rather than many teams seeking to grind out an away draw.

4points.jpg

Would it look much different if the season started with everyone knowing the extra reward for a win?

Interesting table. Aren't you being a bit generous to Liverpool, Arsenal and Aston Villa tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

not sure what way to change it but I do think a score draw should be worth more than a 0-0.

Instead of given more points for a win, the best psychological incentive would be give 0 points for a draw. That way you'll inevitably get two teams going for a win and no more teams shutting up shop when they go to a big team because they'll get no reward for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

RasTa wrote: »
    + a bonus point for 3 goals scored away from home and a bonus point for 5 goals scored at home.

More realistic and a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pigman II wrote: »
    Instead of given more points for a win, the best psychological incentive would be give 0 points for a draw. That way you'll inevitably get two teams going for a win and no more teams shutting up shop when they go to a big team because they'll get no reward for doing so.

lol, what?

So, if a team is 1-0 down then score an equalizer, they get nothing.

rofl.

Des wrote: »
    lol, what?

So, if a team is 1-0 down then score an equalizer, they get nothing.

rofl.

They also in the process cost the other team (perhaps a close rival for league positions) 3 or 4 points :p

They also in the process cost the other team 3 or 4 points :p

Nothing to do with it.

Zero points for a draw is ridiculous.

4 for an away win
    3 for a home win
    2 for a Score Draw
    1 for a no Score Draw
    0 for a loss.

• Advertisement

It's not really. Better than supporting dumb ideas like 4 points for a win when it's already been proven that 3 for a win does nothing to change a teams attitude. When 4 doesn't work would you like to go for 5 perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the current system works well enough.

The teams that play for draws, defensive horrid football, are just idiots. They always get relegated. The teams that come up and play expansive football have a fighting chance. Clubs just have not realised this yet, for whatever reasons, mostly stupidity I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

4points.jpg

Is it just me or is the table you posted wrong? Liverpool should only have 58 points?

It's just you tbh.

You (and Pigman 11) are right (wishing full thinking clearly!)

You (and Pigman 11) are right (wishing full thinking clearly!)

Photoshop is good for many things .... but when dealing with league tables I generally prefer to use a spreadsheet ;)

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with it.

4 for an away win
    3 for a home win
    2 for a Score Draw
    1 for a no Score Draw

0 for a loss.

If a game was heading for a boring 0-0 after 88 minutes it would be in both their interests to agree 1-1.
    Far more likely would be every game would be 1-1 after 5 minutes play.
    Worst idea yet.

If a game was heading for a boring 0-0 after 88 minutes it would be in both their interests to agree 1-1.
    Far more likely would be every game would be 1-1 after 5 minutes play.
    Worst idea yet.

Good point.

2 for an away draw.
    1 for a home draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's just you tbh.

It's me as well.

Simple arithmetic fail imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

It's just you tbh.

Told you it wasn't just me!

Good point.

2 for an away draw.
    1 for a home draw.

This would maybe defeat the purpose of having an extra point for an away win (if the purpose of that was to encourage attacking play away from home) so I'm not sure about it.

Defo an extra point for an away win though imo.

• Advertisement

Worst idea yet.

Good point.

2 for an away draw.
    1 for a home draw.

So now you're encouraging teams to play negative away? The worst idea yet just got worse.

Good point.

2 for an away draw.
    1 for a home draw.

Actually your idea was tried for a season in the LOI back in the mid 80s.
    i.e., Away Win 4, Home Win 3, Away Draw 2, Home Draw 1.

It was a FIFA approved trial as far I can remember. Obviously it wasn't deemed successful as it was discontinued, not sure why.

Only way I see this working is do away with draws entirely, have extra time and penalties after ninety minutes if the score is tied. Otherwise, as Des said, there's no incentive for teams to fight back from a deficit to get a draw, unless they will be directly impacted by the other team not getting 3 points.

I have teh answer!

If more than 8 players occupy thier own half more more than 60% the first 60 mins of a game they loose a player and then another player every 5 mins after that until they get forwards! :pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Only way I see this working is do away with draws entirely, have extra time and penalties after ninety minutes if the score is tied. Otherwise, as Des said, there's no incentive for teams to fight back from a deficit to get a draw, unless they will be directly impacted by the other team not getting 3 points.

Isn't this the way it is in the J-League (maybe without the extra time and just straight to penos in case of a draw)?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Only way I see this working is do away with draws entirely, have extra time and penalties after ninety minutes if the score is tied.

Even then you'll get teams deliberately playing for draws with the intention of nicking a win on penos. The Yugoslav league tried it in the 80's-90's.

Even then you'll get teams deliberately playing for draws with the intention of nicking a win on penos. The Yugoslav league tried it in the 80's-90's.

At least England might stop losing on penalties if they get in a bit of practise...

No, wait - scrap this idea immediately...!

Actually your idea was tried for a season in the LOI back in the mid 80s.
    i.e., Away Win 4, Home Win 3, Away Draw 2, Home Draw 1.

It was a FIFA approved trial as far I can remember. Obviously it wasn't deemed successful as it was discontinued, not sure why.

Season 1981/1982 according to this historical listing.
    Obv its before your time, and I've only a vague memory of it. Would be interesting if anyone knows how it was perceived at the time?
    http://rsssf.com/tablesi/ierhist.html

So back to square one then basically, yeah, good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The table at the start is wrong for a start, Liverpool have won 13, and drawn 6 = (13*4) + 6 == 58, putting them one win ahead of Chelsea and 1 point ahead of Utd if they win their games in hand (which is exactly as it is with 3 points for a win).

So yea, maths fails on this thread.

Giving more points for a score draw will only encourage teams to ensure that both sides score, and could be open to manipulation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement