Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Four points for a win?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

has bonus points for goals scored ever been tried anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,132 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

0 points for a no-score draw. It was discussed recently on (I think) the Guardian's website and I think it has merit. It would force teams to play attacking football as they'd be starting each match with nothing to lose (rather than the 1 point they currently start with).
    If a game was heading for a boring 0-0 after 88 minutes it would be in both their interests to agree 1-1.
    Far more likely would be every game would be 1-1 after 5 minutes play.

The idea that 2 teams heading for a goalless draw would allow each other to score is ludicrous. How could they trust each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

loyatemu wrote: »
    The idea that 2 teams heading for a goalless draw would allow each other to score is ludicrous. How could they trust each other?

It's definitely open to abuse in a relegation situation where the point from a score draw would keep up two teams that would go down if they got 0 points for a 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

loyatemu wrote: »
    0 points for a no-score draw.

As I've said far more likely that every game would be 1-1 after 5 minutes play, then become properly competitive.
    As for trusting each other, interesting to guess who'd be the first to 'forget' to allow the equaliser. WestHam v Sheffield Utd probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's definitely open to abuse in a relegation situation where the point from a score draw would keep up two teams that would go down if they got 0 points for a 0-0.
    There's just as much chance of teams abusing the points system now by fixing a draw as there would be if the no points for 0-0 came in. At the end of the day they still have to draw the match after 90 minutes. You get nothing for scoring and losing.

I think its a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

eirebhoy wrote: »
    There's just as much chance of teams abusing the points system now by fixing a draw as there would be if the no points for 0-0 came in. At the end of the day they still have to draw the match after 90 minutes. You get nothing for scoring and losing.

I think its a great idea.

Armani makes a point that I don't see as easily refuted just above you.

What do you think about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Stekelly wrote: »
    Square pitch, 4 goals(one at each side) , 4 teams. One ball.

Humm... have you recently been watching Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

keane2097 wrote: »
    Armani makes a point that I don't see as easily refuted just above you.
    There's serious punishment for match fixing. This is not a Denmark-Sweden situation where neither team wanted to risk attack with 90 seconds left on the clock. We're talking about letting the opposition score a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Obv its before your time, and I've only a vague memory of it. Would be interesting if anyone knows how it was perceived at the time?
    I remember it but I think it was a nightmare to work out what your team needed near the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Shamrok wrote: »
    I remember it but I think it was a nightmare to work out what your team needed near the end of the season.
    well in fairness, as many points as realisticly possible might do the trick

Advertisement