Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurants in Waterford city

• 04-01-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi there ...

There's a gang of girls - about 25- heading to Waterford for a 30th Birthday in February and it's been left to me to organise the food ... We're staying in a hotel fairly near the railway station so we're looking for something fairly central ... I was thinking Italian or Thai - something not too expensive but with a good atmosphere ...
    Any recommendations ???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats the name of the hotel? The one closest to the railway has a decent enough restraunt!

This thread might help, people post reviews about different restraunts most of which are central enough anyway :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055234317

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I want to know what hotel will have 30 girls staying in it at the weekend too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

a one that wants to make money :P

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Espresso Italian Restaurant in Parnell Street is good...Right in the city centre...Good food and prices and its informal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i presume its days hotel your staying in. What time ye arriving :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

link at the top of the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

La Taverna might be a good one - if you look at the reviews thread linked above the reviews are all very good. I've been as well and can testify that its lovely.
    Its not expensive but a lovely Italian. Their upstairs apparently holds 30 so you'd probably get to have it to yourselves if you booked in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Baby4 wrote: »
    Someone wants to be a mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yup. This aint a review though, so its grand :)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BCD

A superb Italian Restaurant is Emilanos & there is another that got rave reviews in the Independent on Saturday called Il Veliero, William Street. Mai Thai on the Quay is another excellant restaurant not to far from where you are staying so enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

BCD wrote: »
    A superb Italian Restaurant is Emilanos & there is another that got rave reviews in the Independent on Saturday called Il Veliero, William Street. Mai Thai on the Quay is another excellant restaurant not to far from where you are staying so enjoy!

mai thai on the quay has been closed for months.
    but if your looking for a good thai restaurant i hear sabai on parnell st is v good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Lime Leaf is lovely, far better than Sabai which was dreadful the night I ate there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Thansk all for the replies ...
    I've had a look on the review thread and I've got a few tips from there - It goes back a bit though so i'm not sure which are current ...
    We're staying in the fitzwilton - What's that like??
    I was looking at La Palma for one night - Might be a bit pricy though - Anyone been there??
    Was Il Veliero the one reviewed last weekend ?? It looked lovely but I don't think it's the kinf of place that would want to open it's doors to 30 girls !! :)
    Might try Sabi for one of the nights ...
    We're looking foe somewhere with a bit of atmosphere ....
    I hate having to book for groups - I feel responsible if it turns out to be cr*p .... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

La Palma and espresso are owned by the same family.
    Espresso is perfect for what you are looking for,reasonable prices and nice clean place.
    Go for that.
    Sabai was terrible when i was there ( only once mind ).
    La Palma is a more expensive version of Espresso.
    Emilianos is 2 minutes away from la palma and probably better but the waiters will not leave you alone up there

I believe the restraunt in the fitzwilton is pretty decent anyway. The restraunt review thread has each post time stamped like in other threads so that should help. Not many of them have changed much or closed down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

+1 For La Taverna if everybody in your group likes authentic Italian food. You would get upstairs to yourself if they are not already booked out.

Otherwise, if you want Italian but with more options on the menu, Emillianos is far better than Espresso IMHO. Actually it's probably been as good as La Palma for me every time I've eaten there and is better value. They also have an upstairs room where you can get rowdy and not disturb the more genteel guests if you wish.

Also, there is a lovely Indian, Cafe Goa very near Days Hotel (is that where you said you were staying ?) Service can be slow if they are busy though.

Honourable mention to Fitzpatricks, just because it's so good. Not really walking distance though.

I also like Lime Leaf (Asian) on the other end of the quay, not sure if they could seat 25, I haven't been upstairs there.

Have fun.

Nathan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Apologies, I meant Fitzpatricks...the Cork Rd.

Original post edited.

Nathan

• Advertisement
Advertisement