Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Place to download HD demos to test new TV

• 04-01-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Looking for reasonably short HD demos that can be put on a DVD to show what my new TV is capable of. Any kind of wildlife/landscape or anything really.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

So you want to put HD content onto a SD video DVD to to test HD playback?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

I know, it does sound dumb but I was thinking would a short(5-10mins) really high quality(HD) piece of footage not fit on to a normal DVD? Is this not the case? This probably makes no sense.
    Plus my TV is only HD ready, not full HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You would be better off at this stage getting some HD trailers from various places:
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx
    Coral reef adventure I would recommend - http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/9/3/a9327df4-aeb5-46de-b438-d0f60da6fb54/Coral_Reef_Adventure_720.exe
    Use your PC to output the video to your TV

You wont get HD playback from a DVD source as it wont be 720p. The PC input on your TV is the best option for now, otherwise buy/borrow a bluray player and a bluray movie to showcase it in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Cheers mate. I'll do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

But what if he played a DVD with say 5 minutes of 720p content on a DVD player with HDMI output? Would the TV not display 720p content?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Conor108,

You can't play "720p content" on a dvd player, whether it has hdmi output or not. If you had a hidef clip from the internet, say for instance, a wmvhd clip from the Microsoft site, or a transport stream (".ts" file extension), neither of these will play on a dvd player, nor will any of the other common formats in which hd material is encoded for downloading from the net. The only way to play that material is using a pc with the appropriate media player and codecs installed. Upscaling dvd players just upscale the material from a dvd, which for PAL is 576 lines resolution, NTSC 480 lines resolution, MPEG2 format, iirc.

Ritz.

Advertisement