Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Fresh Pasta

• 04-01-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just got a pasta roller machine thingy, I've made pasta now a few times and I can't get over how good it tastes. Nothing like the pasta I'm used to.
    I'm only learning at the moment. Anyone else here making pasta? Any tips or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I read Bill Buford's book, he reckoned while the proper flour was an improvement over plain or strong flour, the main ingredient that made the difference was a "good egg'

Also re-use the water after cooking paste a few times - pick the pasta out and leave the water get starchy and white/grey for making non-tomato based sauces- use half old and half new water the next time you make pasta. use salt in the water, but never oil as it sticks to the pasta and stops sauce sticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Whatever about re-using the water for the next time you cook pasta, which frankly seems too much like hard work for me, I would go along with the fresh egg suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

This Pasta flour does the job http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/detail.html?itemId=314&categoryId=137
    (It can be got in Superquinn)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Well I always get good eggs, never tried reusing the water.
    I have used plain flour and self raising, I haven't been able to find 00 pasta flour, anywhere in Dublin city selling it???
    Thanks for all the replies by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I use Strong flour - it should be readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Well I always get good eggs, never tried reusing the water.
    I have used plain flour and self raising, I haven't been able to find 00 pasta flour, anywhere in Dublin city selling it???
    Thanks for all the replies by the way.
    Falon and byrne's for the flour

self raising would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I contacted Oldums with relation to them recommending a flour from their range equivalent to 00 flour for making fine pasta.
    The reply was
    "Dear Customer

Thank you for your query, unfortunately we do not manufacture a flour equivalent to 00 flour for making fine pasta
    Kind Regards"

Advertisement