Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street Photography in London...

• 04-01-2009 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭

Going to London for a few days at the start of February and hoping to do some street photography, buildings etc. and generally making a nuisance of myself with my camera while trying to be a discreet as possible with a 70-200.

Q. Can I expect to get some attention from The Bill?
    Q. What can I shoot without attracting unwelcome attention?
    Q. Any suggestions for suitable locations for interesting pics, i.e markets, underground stns., streets, etc.

A suggested photographic itinerary / route would be very welcome :-)

Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

As long as your in public, shoot what you want :)

The underground does not allow photography, and the parks over there can be very awkward.

There's a new law (At least, I think it's new) meaning that if you've your camera out, and they're suspicious of you, you can be stopped and searched... because like, we're all terrorists. Must be the Oirish accent. You don't have to give them your name, address, or any details, which is what I'd do. F*ck'em, let them worry. Remember to keep the slip they give you after, it's quite amusing.

As long as you're not too intrusive, you can shoot just about anything - I've been all over London shooting. I've even shot on the underground, but expect some fun with security (My mate got an announcement directed at him to 'Please desist from any photographic activities :D ). If they stop you on the underground for shooting, remind them how they asked amateur photographers for all their pics of the underground when the bombs when off the last time :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd be using a 50mm while walking about the streets, you won't get too much use out of the 70-200, and it might draw the kind of attention you don't want - Especially if it's the Canon model.

A trip around Soho is well worthwhile, it gets pretty seedy at night, but you might get some great photos from it - Again, descrete lens will do you wonders here. Some of the train stations are fantastic, but they won't appreciate you taking photos in there.

Oh, there's a fantastic place to check out, called the Camera Cafe - If you're in the market for new gear, ring them beforehand, I got some great deals off them in the past, I'd imagine I'd get fantastic ones with the current exchange rate!

Get a bite to eat there too - Just stay away from their spicy sauce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If you give me a minute i'll post what was posted in this week amateur photographer about police and cameras and what they can and can't do..
    I'm in London at the moment and although only using a 50mm on a 20D(with no grip) i'v got no attention what so ever..I'd recommend camden.It's pretty cool.
    Officers should not prevent people taking photographs unless they are in an area where photography is prevented by other legislation.If officers reasonably suspect that photographs are being taken as part of hostile terrorist reconnaisance,a search under Section 43 of the Terrorism act 2000 or an arrest should be considered.Films and memory cards may be seized but officers do not have the legal power to delete images or destroy film.Although images may be veiwed as part of the search to preserve evidence when cameras or other devices are seized,officers shoul not normally attempt to examine them.

If you check http://www.npia.police.uk(i can't find anything on it though :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Camden is just a mad place to be.
    And about photography spots, I just like walking and everything looks interesting for me, if I am not tired, hungry, thirsty, cold and soaked by rain :pac:
    I love Embankment and surroundings - everything is in walking distance. Sunday early mornings are wonderful because there are less people in the streets, especially very early summer mornings (6am).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

There is a fairly good chance of getting ask a few questions under Section 43
    In particular if you are shooting buildings down in the city, or in areas that
    wouldn't come under the usual tourist itinary.

I have had a few dealing with the various constabularies around london and
    their recation varies. Some of the community offices are just little tin soldiers;
    getting of on a power trip, while others can be quite professional and once they
    have talked with you they will be cool.

I would recommend to remain friendly and polite; inspite of the frustration.
    They can make alot of hassle for you if you give them too much grief.

The pink slip is a bit of a laugh; who knew white & white irish were the only
    identifiable racial catagories in europe...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Burnt wrote: »

I have had a few dealing with the various constabularies around london and
    their recation varies. Some of the community offices are just little tin soldiers;
    getting of on a power trip, while others can be quite professional and once they
    have talked with you they will be cool.

I would recommend to remain friendly and polite; inspite of the frustration.
    They can make alot of hassle for you if you give them too much grief.

The pink slip is a bit of a laugh; who knew white & white irish were the only
    identifiable racial catagories in europe...:rolleyes:

Correct, correct, and right again! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah what they said
    however sometimes they can overlook you and you can get on with your terrorism emm photography!!
    we discussed this before here

the place i liked best was Speakers Corner in Hyde Park, great for people photography and most don't mind being photographed!
    :)

ThOnda wrote: »
    Camden is just a mad place to be.
    And about photography spots, I just like walking and everything looks interesting for me, if I am not tired, hungry, thirsty, cold and soaked by rain :pac:
    I love Embankment and surroundings - everything is in walking distance. Sunday early mornings are wonderful because there are less people in the streets, especially very early summer mornings (6am).

Yeah thats very true,some really cool people there too :D

As ThOnda said,if hes not cold...I'd recommend you wrap up warm currently a few degrees here and very bad frost on the train platforms so its cold all day round

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

think of the fun of a London boards photo meet! :D

Probably all be arrested under the terrorism act :D

• Advertisement

If you are a big guy (or know how to handle yourself and look like you do!) then the City late on a Friday night can be amazing as it is totally empty and the lighting on many of the building is fantastic. Its also really freaky (in the 28 days later sense) how empty it all is. Same would be around Canary Wharf on a Fri /Sat night.

Late at night is 12pm plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Get closer and wider! :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Probably all be arrested under the terrorism act :D

I was only talking to a mate last week, and dressing as suspiciously as possible, in the hope of getting a photo of my 'cert' at all the famous landmarks :D
    Rojo wrote: »
    Get closer and wider! :)

Bam, exactly!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fajitasgtr/2199431643/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fajitasgtr/2199504483/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fajitasgtr/2200356734/

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hay lads,

I appreciate the advice given above. I'm heading over on the 23rd to Putney, so I'm looking forward to putting on the balaclava and shiney then waiting to see what happens :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Probably all be arrested under the terrorism act

dang ! And I was going to showcase my new turban and airsoft AK-47 as well! Drat! :p

I know you're not coming over for a while,but you're missing some great show :D
    If only i had a jacket so i could go out and get some pics :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I suggest the South Bank of the Thames , lots going on both people- and buildings- wise. From London Bridge (borough market) to just-across-from-westminster is under an hour walk but you could take all day taking photos.

the london photographers gallery near oxford circus is worth a look too.

my flickr has a few from London , might give you ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Will be in London in March so am following this thread with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This is a lively Londoner group, with challenges and competitions:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/londoners_street/discuss/72157612483344183/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

thanks for all the advice...

I have since read some other articles on the net and reckon that I just need to be discreet about my photography.

Also came upon the following on Youtube...

'Authority' paranoia over photography in London'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKl2sEN4yNM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

am in London at the moment and kicking myself that I didnt bring the 5D and the 50mm. Missed a few great shots around Harley street earlier on and the view of the moon rising over my view of the city from the hotel room on the 14th floor was quite something.

Will definitely be bringing that combo with me next time I'm over here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I'm not around on the 23rd of Jan - but I live in London and am currently between jobs, if anyone wants to meet up for taking photos in the next little while.. see my Flickr for the sort of things im interested in (all sorts really).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Lagnagoushee

A few I took from last year here

I was over with one of the guys for the day and had a couple of hours to spare in london.

I must say i was unaware of the problems re taking photos in London. Sat outside the Liverpool Street Station for about an hour just snapping people.

Am hoping to get back for a few days this year and visit the sights.

2888189224_b544989ee5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I would agree with someone earlier , who suggest a 50mm for street and added discretion, even wider is better, although I love my 50mm for street. use natures inbuilt zoom devices!!

have a great trip

Simplicius

Defying Gravity since 1878

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

dont have a huge white lens - you'll be grand!!!

:pac:

Advertisement